Legislative revolution in Israel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 01:28:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Legislative revolution in Israel?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Legislative revolution in Israel?  (Read 4041 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »

SSM and Cannabis bills.

Anyone who votes in favour of Cannabis legalisation should be exiled to Syria.

I bet you're a real treat to be around. Do you play Bingo and knit for fun?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »

Support for SSM makes it hard to win the South because the South is very religious.

I don't think anyone cares about marijuana legalization though. It's something that 99% of the people who take more than 5 seconds to think about it are in favor of.

That is why people are mistaken on the issue... They only take five seconds to think on it. Let us examine the issue. If marijuana is legalised, presumably with sales taxes imposed... Then the people who were previously supplying it aren't simply going to vanish. No, either they will turn to more insidious forms of crime, or, more likely, they will easily undercut the price of legal dope with cheaper, nastier stuff. Marijuana legalisation will not reduce crime. It's just an excuse for people to turn a blind eye to the real problems it causes in society.
Why would it be nastier?  Also, what Willips said.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »

SSM and Cannabis bills.

Because if you don't do weed you can't have a social life... Is this attitude commonplace in your community because it sounds absurd.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 07:10:14 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2013, 07:17:16 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

SSM and Cannabis bills.

Because if you don't do weed you can't have a social life... Is this attitude commonplace in your community because it sounds absurd.

"do weed" lol

I think the point of my post went over your head: the notion that marijuana is dangerous and/or for deviants is antiquated.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 07:11:38 PM »

hifly, why do you oppose marijuana legalization?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 07:56:54 PM »

SSM and Cannabis bills.

President Obama and President Clinton and Olympian Michael Phelps sure are losers, aren't they?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »

Support for SSM makes it hard to win the South because the South is very religious.

I don't think anyone cares about marijuana legalization though. It's something that 99% of the people who take more than 5 seconds to think about it are in favor of.

That is why people are mistaken on the issue... They only take five seconds to think on it. Let us examine the issue. If marijuana is legalised, presumably with sales taxes imposed... Then the people who were previously supplying it aren't simply going to vanish. No, either they will turn to more insidious forms of crime, or, more likely, they will easily undercut the price of legal dope with cheaper, nastier stuff. Marijuana legalisation will not reduce crime. It's just an excuse for people to turn a blind eye to the real problems it causes in society.

Cheaper nastier stuff will only happen if the pot tax is set too high, which is a possibility. Some of the people supplying pot will presumably go into supplying the legal stuff.  The people who supply pot now aren't in it for the purpose of making society depraved and wicked, they are in it for the purpose of making money.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »

Really, if an Israeli coalition goes all in on social liberalism and tough security policies, they will be in power for a very long time.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 04:33:58 AM »

Cheaper nastier stuff will only happen if the pot tax is set too high, which is a possibility. Some of the people supplying pot will presumably go into supplying the legal stuff.  The people who supply pot now aren't in it for the purpose of making society depraved and wicked, they are in it for the purpose of making money.

I don't think they will go into supplying the stuff legally, especially since selling drugs is usually just one section of business for most criminals. Setting any rate of tax on marijuana will still push it above the prices that it was previously sold at, leaving a large gap in the market for illegal dope. One point that I have heard raised (in other circles)  is that there isn't a large trade in illegal cigarettes because of taxes on that. Firstly, whilst there is actually a small illegal trade in cigarettes, people understimate the fact that since cigarettes are so ingrained into our society, most people wouldn't even think of trying to get them illegally. Marijuana on the other hand isn't so ingrained, but the people that do take it may still go to dealers to purchase it, because they know how to get it on the black market. Drug dealers will still make money from its sale, maybe not as much as before, but enough to warrent them contuing to trade.

As for it not being harmful, well, it may be one of the least harmful drugs, but that doesn't mean that it's harmless, and, personally, I feel that if it is kept illegal, perhaps with a greater focus put on catching the people that sell it than those that consume it, it may be easier to prevent its use becoming more endemic in society than it already is...
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 05:07:49 AM »

I don't think they will go into supplying the stuff legally, especially since selling drugs is usually just one section of business for most criminals. Setting any rate of tax on marijuana will still push it above the prices that it was previously sold at, leaving a large gap in the market for illegal dope. One point that I have heard raised (in other circles)  is that there isn't a large trade in illegal cigarettes because of taxes on that. Firstly, whilst there is actually a small illegal trade in cigarettes, people understimate the fact that since cigarettes are so ingrained into our society, most people wouldn't even think of trying to get them illegally. Marijuana on the other hand isn't so ingrained, but the people that do take it may still go to dealers to purchase it, because they know how to get it on the black market. Drug dealers will still make money from its sale, maybe not as much as before, but enough to warrent them contuing to trade.

As for it not being harmful, well, it may be one of the least harmful drugs, but that doesn't mean that it's harmless, and, personally, I feel that if it is kept illegal, perhaps with a greater focus put on catching the people that sell it than those that consume it, it may be easier to prevent its use becoming more endemic in society than it already is...
As a cannabis user for years I describe what you say as utter BS. when it's legal no one wants to buy from the stoner fuzzy guy in the van when they go in a dispensary or a coffee-shop and buy 5g of prime types.

I advise you look at what happened around the world in recent years with places who did decriminalization and see how absurd your view is.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 05:34:36 AM »

Setting any rate of tax on marijuana will still push it above the prices that it was previously sold at, leaving a large gap in the market for illegal dope.
That could only be true if there were no extra costs involved in selling black market goods but there clearly is.  If the tax is outrageous (and I mean outrageous) maybe a few people would keep going to their dealer, but certainly not the majority.  Maryjane is ridiculously easy and cheap to grow and turn into something smokeable.  Cheaper than cigs.  Growers and sellers can make buckets of money, taxes can be relatively....ahem...high and it would still be cheaper than going to the local thug or old hippy is now.  And you could do so without fear of police or getting robbed/screwed by your dealer.

Clearly you don't like weed, and that's fine, there are valid reasons to be against it if you're into restricting the freedoms of others, but don't make sh**t up.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 05:54:23 AM »

Setting any rate of tax on marijuana will still push it above the prices that it was previously sold at, leaving a large gap in the market for illegal dope.
That could only be true if there were no extra costs involved in selling black market goods but there clearly is.  If the tax is outrageous (and I mean outrageous) maybe a few people would keep going to their dealer, but certainly not the majority.  Maryjane is ridiculously easy and cheap to grow and turn into something smokeable.  Cheaper than cigs.  Growers and sellers can make buckets of money, taxes can be relatively....ahem...high and it would still be cheaper than going to the local thug or old hippy is now.  And you could do so without fear of police or getting robbed/screwed by your dealer.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 05:57:24 AM »

You're wrong because one thing legalization will certainly do is cause cash prices (pre tax) to go down because there will be more people willing to go into supplying it once the cost of potentially being sent to jail is gone.  I'm not going to bother googling links on the stories and including them since you can do that perfectly well yourself, but there have been several stories in the media of dealers living in the states where medical marijuana has been authorized choosing to instead tote their pot into states that haven't done so because they can sell it for more cash there and think the risk of being caught is low enough to be worth the extra profit.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 11:47:51 AM »

It's a shame this thread has been hijacked, because it was very interesting. Can we talk about legislation in Israel and not about hifly15's political views? You can take that to individual politics.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »

It's a shame this thread has been hijacked, because it was very interesting. Can we talk about legislation in Israel and not about hifly15's political views? You can take that to individual politics.

Is this going to be real civil marriage or is it going to be civil unions (non-marriage marriage equivalent) on demand?

I really am interested to know why people oppose marijuana legalization though. It's such a bizarre view.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »

As far as derails in threads about Israel go, this one is pretty benign, I must say.

Good luck on getting a decent social agenda passed!
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2013, 07:14:09 AM by Hnv1 »

Is this going to be real civil marriage or is it going to be civil unions (non-marriage marriage equivalent) on demand?

I really am interested to know why people oppose marijuana legalization though. It's such a bizarre view.
Civil unions. Marriage is still such a taboo in Jewish society I can't see any party part from Meretz or extreme Labour that will touch that.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 02:35:19 AM »

Civil unions. Marriage is still such a taboo in Jewish society I can't any party part from Meretz or extreme Labour that will touch that.

Oh you didn't specify that- that's better.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »

Civil unions. Marriage is still such a taboo in Jewish society I can't any party part from Meretz or extreme Labour that will touch that.

Again, nobody cares about how you feel about this. That's not what this board is for. That's what the Individual Politics board is for. This is an important distinction to understand, especially since you have done this on other threads.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »

Again, nobody cares about how you feel about this. That's not what this board is for. That's what the Individual Politics board is for. This is an important distinction to understand, especially since you have done this on other threads.

Hey boss- should all the comments on the thread about the Islamic Society in Norway promoting Anti-Gay stonings be deleted? That's a recent example of a thread on this board where people seem to have made known how they feel about an issue.

We must all understand the distinction!!!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »

Israel really is a great country, and the January election there really ended up having a great result!
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 02:51:31 PM »

First blossom: after years or attempts (and failures with Haredi coalitions) the minimal marriage age was finally raised to 18 with a wide support from left to right.

Labour's SSM was rejected by the coalition probably due to Livni's and Lapid's bill coming up soon

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Debatable, especially since your perception of Israel is probably of that of the secular coastline.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 11:05:56 PM »

My somewhat left leaning economic views and strong support for a national healthcare institution, along with many other left leaning views puts me far more in line with Democrats than the GOP, a party that I loathe.
I didn't know that support for drug legalisation and SSM was required for you to support the Democratic Party. Because it isn't.

Fitting that your avatar is Germany. Because that country has such a great track record when it comes to respecting minority populations.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2013, 01:30:43 AM »

My somewhat left leaning economic views and strong support for a national healthcare institution, along with many other left leaning views puts me far more in line with Democrats than the GOP, a party that I loathe.
I didn't know that support for drug legalisation and SSM was required for you to support the Democratic Party. Because it isn't.

Fitting that your avatar is Germany. Because that country has such a great track record when it comes to respecting minority populations.

That's incredibly rich coming from someone with a Texas avatar, a state that is so socially and politically backward that it's an embarrassment in the 21st Century.
freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2013, 07:29:57 PM »

I don't oppose MJ legalisation, however I am revolted the Democratic Party's hypocrisy in deploring Iraq as a war that violates international law, then violating Americas global drugs-control treaties. Get the USA out of them first if you want to be logically consistent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies