SCOTUS temporarily halts gay marriage in Utah
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:39:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS temporarily halts gay marriage in Utah
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SCOTUS temporarily halts gay marriage in Utah  (Read 2031 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:57:41 AM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-stops-gay-marriage-in-utah-for-now-2014-1

F**k.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »

Brilliant news. And the status of those already married should not be affected.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2014, 02:14:34 PM by True Federalist »

Evil.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2014, 02:15:15 PM by True Federalist »

anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 11:11:29 AM »

SCOTUS is granting a stay application, which was predictable.  But either the 10th Circuit or SCOTUS will eventually agree that the Utah state ban was unconstitutional.  It's tough for couples who want to marry to have to wait for a while, but it's only a matter of time now.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »

Ugh, I don't like this.  The Court dismissed the Prop 8 suit last summer, so they obviously didn't rule on whether gay marriage is constitutional or not.  As the article states, the losing side is likely going to ask SCOTUS to weigh in on this issue, and then the Court will have the opportunity to decide.  I don't know if the halt is any indicator of how the Court will ultimately rule, but this is a really bad sign.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »

Ugh, I don't like this.  The Court dismissed the Prop 8 suit last summer, so they obviously didn't rule on whether gay marriage is constitutional or not.  As the article states, the losing side is likely going to ask SCOTUS to weigh in on this issue, and then the Court will have the opportunity to decide.  I don't know if the halt is any indicator of how the Court will ultimately rule, but this is a really bad sign.

I wouldn't worry. Granting a stay until the whole thing is heard by the Court is the usual practice. Also, this was done by Sotomayor, which I have no doubt she would rule for gay marriage.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 11:25:42 AM »

It was Justice Sotomayor who granted the stay. I think she genuinely wants there to be adequate time to decide the issue. If the Court pushes too hard to the left, it will further cement amongst the electorate that the Court does what it wants. If it pushes too hard to the right, it could potentially undo past Civil Rights decisions (If gays aren't a suspect class, were we wrong about other people? Do suspect classes have less protection than we thought? And so forth..)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 12:08:03 PM »

No.  This is completely predictable and not a sign in either direction.  Eventually, this will be resolved at the Supreme Court and that's where the action will be.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »

In all objectivity, it's probably the soundest decision at this point. It makes little sense to start allowing marriages before the final decision has been issued.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »

Is it unusual for SCOTUS to grant a stay pending an appeal to a lower court?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »

It was pretty unrealistic to expect a stay to never be issued. It was very surprising that the original court didn't give one.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »

It was pretty unrealistic to expect a stay to never be issued. It was very surprising that the original court didn't give one.

Utah didn't ask for a stay because they just forgot.  The Court can only grant a stay if a party asks them.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »

This is surprising how?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »

This is standard operating procedure and should not be taken as an indication of anything bad. Sucks for the people who wanted to get married right now, but hopefully it'll be settled for good and they'll have no more obstacles in their way.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »

Utah didn't ask for a stay because they just forgot.  The Court can only grant a stay if a party asks them.

They asked one afterwards, but the Court declined.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »

Discuss the issue folks.  Do not discuss other posters.

x Your friendly neighborhood spidermod
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »

They asked one afterwards, but the Court declined.

That's because Utah's AG office botched it twice. If they were semi-competent then judge Shelby would have issued one, just like Walker did with his Prop 8 decision.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 12:22:19 AM »

In all objectivity, it's probably the soundest decision at this point. It makes little sense to start allowing marriages before the final decision has been issued.

This. It is consistent and logical. Plus, in the end, I think it's pretty clear that banning gay marriage is unconstitutional. SCOTUS will make the approrpriate ruling, 5-4, as you'd expect.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 01:13:12 AM »

Oh well, this expected and it's kind of surprising it took this long. At least people in Utah were able to get in some nice holiday weddings before the stay.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 02:10:41 AM »

This. It is consistent and logical. Plus, in the end, I think it's pretty clear that banning gay marriage is unconstitutional. SCOTUS will make the appropriate ruling, 5-4, as you'd expect.

It conceivably could even be 6-3.  If Roberts can come up with a reason convincing enough to himself to let him vote in favor of gay marriage and keep this from being a 5-4 decision, even if he'd vote against it if that were the majority opinion, I think he will do that so as to try and depoliticie the court.  That truly does seem to be his major concern, how to depoliticize the court.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 02:22:42 AM »

Oh well, this expected and it's kind of surprising it took this long. At least people in Utah were able to get in some nice holiday weddings before the stay.

Over 1,300 marriages, in fact, including that of my sister to her girlfriend. Still proud of that.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 02:36:21 AM »

Over 1,300 marriages, in fact, including that of my sister to her girlfriend. Still proud of that.

Great to hear! Smiley
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »

No.  This is completely predictable and not a sign in either direction.  Eventually, this will be resolved at the Supreme Court and that's where the action will be.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 09:46:32 PM »

I'm assuming the marriages which have already been issued are still allowed right?

I think it makes legal sense, given that the law hasn't been decided yet.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies