Who Would Be King
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 08:07:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who Would Be King
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who Would Be King  (Read 2898 times)
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 06:41:03 PM »

I'm kinda mad Huntsman's taking more from Obama than Santorum. You'd think establishment Reps would flock to him more so than moderate Dems.

I have the same feeling.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »

I'm kinda mad Huntsman's taking more from Obama than Santorum. You'd think establishment Reps would flock to him more so than moderate Dems.

I have the same feeling.
Republicans tend to be hackish. Most of the Tea Party supported Romney in the general, even though they tried to stop him at every turn.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »

November 7th, 2:50 AM

JON HUNTSMAN ELECTED PRESIDENT

Jon Huntsman: 270
Barack Obama: 148
Rick Santorum: 120

A Reluctant Obama Concedes to Huntsman

Obama and his staff spent the early hours of Wednesday November 7th, looking over the data and results from the various states. Huntsman's exact 270 electoral count gave the Democrats' wiggle room, though a split in the electoral college meant a Republican presidency at the very least, thanks to the GOP controlled House. Though, Santorum was gracious in his defeat. A divided Republican Party showed no sign of backing up Santorum, seeing that his campaign belonged destined in the history books; small and forgotten.

The Obama team came to terms much later on. Reluctantly, Obama made the call as it became clear that there was no feasible way to win electorally, plus with Huntsman's victory in the popular vote, Obama found himself in the same position as Santorum, out of luck -- pure and simple. At 5:03 AM EST and 3:03 MST Jon Huntsman took to the stage. The first third party candidate to win the Presidency. At exactly 270 electoral votes and roughly 48 million popular votes, Huntsman looked out to a new America, still divided, but in some regards healed.

Huntsman Accepts his Victory
"...We chose people over party. Solutions over politics. I humbly accept this victory tonight, but as a victory for the American people who deserve to have Washington work and work for them. We did it my friends. We put country first and we won. We've made a difference..."

National Popular Vote: 100% Reporting
Jon Huntsman: 36.9%
Barack Obama: 33.8%
Rick Santorum: 28.5%
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2014, 09:13:07 AM by NHI »

Epilogue:

The Huntsman Years
President Jon Huntsman: 2013-2021

The Huntsman Presidency could be defined in three parts. First, the rebuilding of America's economy for the 21st century. Second, the rise of a new third party, under the No Labels Movement, which prided itself on a socially liberal and fiscally responsible agenda. Third, the eventual fall of the Republican Party. Though it remained a faction in American politics throughout the remainder of the decade, with the rise of the No Labels Party that brought both Republicans and Democrats into the tent the party eventually faded away into the pages of history books.

Jon Huntsman is well regarded as an excellent president, who presided over an era of peace and economic expansion. He left office in January 2021 with an approval rating of 61 percent.

Jon Huntsman/Joe Manchin (NL) 368 (44.2%)
Martin O'Malley/Gavin Newsom (D) 93 (31.5%)
Ted Cruz/Mike Lee (R) 77 (23.0%)

2020:
Kirsten Gillibrand/Julian Castro (D) 274 (39.9%)
Mark Kirk/Brian Sandoval (NL) 235 (37.8%)
Mike Lee/Allan West (R) 29 (20.6%)
sdu754
Rookie
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 11:27:50 PM »

I think a Huntsman - Santorum primary would have come out in favor of Huntsman, but I could see Santorum winning. As far as a run as a 3rd party candidate, Huntsman would have either split the republican vote, assuring Obama a victory, or thrown the election into the house. This most likely would have led to a Santorum / Biden administration. (both sides going with their party)

I think a strong 3rd party candidate winning would be good for the country, but there is always the "you're throwing your vote away" argument that drives people to voting for one party or the other. Had people voted their conscience in 1992, Perot would have won. I do think Huntsman would have been the best choice of the three, however.

My guess would be that the republican party would have "adopted" Huntsman if he won, so the 3rd party would have basically been taken over by the republicans.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies