Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:58:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)  (Read 30740 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2014, 11:33:54 PM »

OOC: Now that we have advanced quite a lot and the butterflies are getting more and more evident, I would like to say that if you thing this world is looking a little bit more grim than OTL Belle Epoque, we're only getting started. (Muahahaha!)

I see that sadly, yet as expected, that Prince William fails to comprehend that by treating war as a legitimate tool of diplomacy he makes it far more likely that said tool will be used against us.  Unlike the bellicose nations of the Old World, our republic has been blessed by Providence to have no nation on our borders dangerous enough to be a threat to us or our prosperity.  Yet by his actions, Prince William has in the absence of natural enemies to our republic sought to cultivate unnatural ones.  What interest would the cossacks have ever had in attacking us ere this war?

Mr. Bryan, I am sad to be the one to send this notification, but you are technically dead, sir. (Despite that, those speeches have been quite fascinating, and a great way to add flavor to the game)

I saw that.  Under the circumstances, I presume that the previous was his final Letter from an Omaha Jail.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »

Senator William Joel Stone of Missouri will be preparing a response to McKinley's upcoming address.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2014, 12:34:22 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2014, 08:58:59 AM by True Federalist »

Mr. President pro tem, I rise to speak in response to the recent remarks of Mr. McKinley on the House floor.  Let me first address his revocation of habeus corpus.  The Constitution clearly places that power in the hands of Congress, not the President.  Even Lincoln during the Civil War only did so as an expedient until Congress could convene and we are already here.  If habeus corpus is to be suspended, it is Congress that must do so, not Mr. McKinley.  However, we have more pressing concerns than to be a rubber stamp for the tyrant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Mr. McKinley insults our intelligence by claiming that a Russian agent was responsible for the murder of the honorable former Congressman from Nebraska.  Given what he alleged Bryan to have done, it can only be the grossest incompetence or the vilest conspiracy that would let any Russian be close to him.  I do not think Mr. McKinley to be incompetent.  I consider him to be a criminal who plotted the death of his political rival and is attempting to use it to make himself a dictator.  I call upon the House to quickly send us Articles of Impeachment for McKinley and the head of the Bureau of Assassination, excuse me I spoke of its function not its title, of the Bureau of Investigation, and for the Senate to quickly approve them and remove these foul villains from office and send a clear signal that this country will not tolerate those who imprison and kill their political foes.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2014, 12:44:18 AM »

Out of character, let me say that if this game doesn't end up having a Second American Civil War, I will be greatly surprised.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2014, 12:45:52 AM »

I order the Senator to be seized by the Bureau of Investigation to be investigated for slander and treason
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2014, 12:47:49 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2014, 08:58:08 AM by True Federalist »

I remind those in our army and navy that their oath is to the Constitution and not to any one man and say that if they follow the illegal orders he has just given, they will be violating their sacred vows.  I hope that it will not take another martyr to convince them of the unfitness of McKinley for office, but if need be I will be honored to join Bryan in the ranks of those martyred in the service of this republic.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2014, 05:04:47 AM »

Senator Bryan in the ranks of those martyred in the service of this republic.

Well, WJB was never a Senator. I guess we can now charge you with historical inaccuracy as well Wink
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2014, 09:02:45 AM »

Senator Bryan in the ranks of those martyred in the service of this republic.

Well, WJB was never a Senator. I guess we can now charge you with historical inaccuracy as well Wink

That's what I get for assuming instead of checking.  Anyway, fixed.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »

Sorry for limited activity today. I've got a sick pet needing attention and been distracted.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »

Despite his self serving rhetoric, those of us seeking to end McKinley's murderous tyranny have no complaints with any who faithfully uphold their oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic". McKinley's actions have proven him to be an enemy of the Constitution rather than the defender he swore to be.  His broken oath and infidelity to the Constitution renders invalid any claim he has to be our lawful president.

Officers and men of the army and navy of the United States.  McKinley has chosen to cross his Rubicon, but you need not follow him into infamy.  Uphold your oaths and thus you will bravely preserve both your honor and the golden Republic you swore to defend instead of seeing America become a iron Empire that rusts and rots from corruption and cowardice.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »

Despite his self serving rhetoric, those of us seeking to end McKinley's murderous tyranny have no complaints with any who faithfully uphold their oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic". McKinley's actions have proven him to be an enemy of the Constitution rather than the defender he swore to be.  His broken oath and infidelity to the Constitution renders invalid any claim he has to be our lawful president.

Officers and men of the army and navy of the United States.  McKinley has chosen to cross his Rubicon, but you need not follow him into infamy.  Uphold your oaths and thus you will bravely preserve both your honor and the golden Republic you swore to defend instead of seeing America become a iron Empire that rusts and rots from corruption and cowardice.

It's been nice to know you, Senator...
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »

Out of character, let me say that I doubt McKinley will want Stone dead.  Given the likely result if the Senator were to be killed by either foreign or domestic agents, then unless McKinley is incompetent, he'll be making certain Stone doesn't die in custody.  The last thing he needs is more martyrs right now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2014, 05:54:43 PM »

Out of character, let me say that I doubt McKinley will want Stone dead.  Given the likely result if the Senator were to be killed by either foreign or domestic agents, then unless McKinley is incompetent, he'll be making certain Stone doesn't die in custody.  The last thing he needs is more martyrs right now.

Yes, but Lumine is kinda bloodthirsty... Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »

Yes, but Lumine is kinda bloodthirsty... Wink

Hey! You're the ones who behave like dictators and send sadistic orders to me, xD (when the game ends I will probably answer to some mysteries and unsolved affairs)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2014, 08:47:24 PM »

A mistake: Somehow, I just remembered that McKinley was not supposed to name another VP after Roosevelt died, given that the respective amendment had not been passed yet. While I find it surprising that none of the American players noticed that, the blame rests on me alone, and I apologize for the confusion. As of now, Hay is actually Secretary of State, but he is still second in line to the President.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2014, 09:18:12 PM »

A mistake: Somehow, I just remembered that McKinley was not supposed to name another VP after Roosevelt died, given that the respective amendment had not been passed yet. While I find it surprising that none of the American players noticed that, the blame rests on me alone, and I apologize for the confusion. As of now, Hay is actually Secretary of State, but he is still second in line to the President.

I didn't pay much attention until my first post in the spirit of Bryan, so that likely explains why I hadn't noticed that detail.

Orangeburg, South Carolina

For the good of the country (editorial page)
Recent events have caused this country much turmoil, turmoil it can ill afford in a time of war.  Yet a candid assessment of the events leading to the death of the Prairie Populist must lead anyone with a honest assessment of the facts to the conclusion of Senator Stone of Missouri that it must be due to "the grossest incompetence or the vilest conspiracy".  Where we part with the Senator is in concluding that it must be conspiracy.  While not discounting the possibility, the evidence lies far more strongly in favor of incompetence.  President McKinley has said that he is willing to die for his country, but dying is but a brief agony.  This paper feels that it time to call upon him to do something more painful.

As we said in the lede of this editorial, this country can ill afford turmoil in a time of war.  If only we had someone who could maintain our foreign policy and yet was untainted by allegations of plotting tyranny and murder, then our nation could unite around this person and leave the investigation of all to someone temperate and impartial.  We dare suggest that there is such a person and by good fortune that man in already the next in line to the President, Secretary of State John Hay.  Perhaps we are our biased in favor of Secretary Hay due to his also having spent some years as a journalist which is but the least of his many accomplishments.  Yet no one can deny that if this crisis is to be ended quickly there is only one option which can possibly achieve it.

For the good of the country, we call upon William McKinley to resign the Presidency and allow Secretary Hay to assume the office.  Certainly none would expect there to be any change in our foreign relations from such an action, and allowing Secretary Hay to occupy the White House would enable us to close the door on recent domestic unpleasantness and open a new door to a reunited future.

(OOC: I have zero interest in playing Hay.)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2014, 09:44:53 PM »

I order the immediate execution of Secretary Hay

JK!!!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2014, 05:13:13 AM »

Well, I did notice this, but I thought it's up to the player to decide whether he can name a VP or not.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »

Is is good to be back where I belong.  In an effort to draw to a close recent unpleasantness, I shall refrain from needlessly mentioning past mistakes.  Besides, I am unhappily certain that there will be fresh mistakes to comment upon.  I call to your attention one of the most recent mistakes, the proposed Emergency Response Act of 1903 sent to this body for consideration by the occupant of the Executive Mansion.  While I will agree that there needs to be some regularization of our system for dealing with crises, allowing any president, be a Republican or a Democrat, to unilaterally declare himself a dictator for six months is not proper.  As such I propose the following alternative.

Habeus Corpus Act of 1903
1. At such times as the Congress is not in session, the President is authorized to suspend habeus corpus in the District of Columbia as well as in any State or Territory, or portion of a State or Territory, that is his judgement in danger of Rebellion or Invasion if he deems that the government of said State or Territory is incapable of issuing such a suspension itself or if it is the Rebellion of said State or Territory that provides the occasion for such suspension.

2. Such a suspension must be accompanied by a call for Congress to convene and shall last only until three days after a quorum of both Houses have assembled unless the Congress shall extend said suspension beyond those three days by suspending habeus corpus itself in accordance with the Constitution.

There perhaps are some additional powers that should be allowed the president in times of crisis beyond this, but certainly nothing that might give the President the power of the purse under any circumstances or the ability to invoke powers of this body while it is sitting.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »

I would like to commend the gentleman- with whom I have had multiple disagreements- for using his return to the Senate floor not to talk but to act... his legislation is an acceptable compromise to me and I urge my Republican majorities in both houses of Congress to pass this swiftly so I may sign it
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »

The United Kingdom hereby declares an end to hostilities with Russia, will release their assets, and will have it's men relocated to fight the rebels in Afghanistan and bring back civil order there. The War has ended with the following terms having been negotiated between us.

We look forward to our future.

This is out of character commentary.  I am presuming from the color coding that Russian Turkestan is to become one or more British Protectorates. [Probably three if anything close to historical borders are used.]  As of 1903 unless Russia had changed its interior borders in the course of this game, Russian Turkestan consisted of five oblasts and two protectorates, those of Khiva and Bokhara.  A return to semi-historical borders would have Khiva gaining Transcaspia Oblast, Bokhara gaining Samarkhand Oblast, a restored Khanate of Kokand made from Semirechye and Fergana Oblasts, with Syr-Darja Oblast split between the three protectorates.

Unless the British exert an extremely light hand there, they'll have a tough time holding onto it given the awful logistical situation they'll have there as I seriously doubt they could sustain the heavy hand the Russians used. (Especially in Transcaspia.)  The logistics will be awful even if Afghanistan quiets down.  The Russians weren't able to exert any control over Transcaspia until they built a railway there in the 1880s.

Incidentally, here's a map of Russian Turkestan in 1900.  The borders are similar to those in the map above, but not the same.

Overall, I'm not certain who won at the negotiating table.  Britain gained territory, but it may well end up being territory not worth the effort of keeping control of, especially at the end of an extremely precarious supply line.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #196 on: May 12, 2014, 01:06:19 PM »

It appears that fears that the war we inserted ourselves into would be without any benefit to us was unmerited.  In exchange for placing our men and ships at the service of the Kaliph, we've gotten not one, but two, shiny medals.  No doubt every American heart will be bursting with pride over the medals our president and his heir presumptive have received in exchange for providing the Turks with American janissaries.

If we must go to war, it would be nice to have our blood and money being spent to further American goals rather than those of the Kaliph and the Mikado.  The president speaks of the influence we gain by sending our brave young men to die in foreign wars, yet what concrete benefits can he point to? This most recent war has demonstrated that even our associates act in their own self-interests rather than those of their alleged allies.  Even if by some mischance we needed their assistance in this hemisphere, there is no reason to think they will provide it unless they can wring some advantage out of it for themselves.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #197 on: May 12, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2014, 01:18:33 PM by Abdul the Reformer »

It appears that fears that the war we inserted ourselves into would be without any benefit to us was unmerited.  In exchange for placing our men and ships at the service of the Kaliph, we've gotten not one, but two, shiny medals.

Actually, three shiny medals.

The Honorable Senator is not only poor at counting. His memory is not very good either. The Ottoman Empire placed its warships and troops at American disposal during the Venezuelan crisis not not out of desire for monetary or territorial gains (which were none), but out of our partnership with Columbia.

Only a feeble-minded isolationists, that still believe earth is flat, does not understand what partnership between nations are about. We do not suspect the Senator of being an ignorant. He is just playing his dishonest card.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #198 on: May 12, 2014, 01:19:52 PM »

It appears that fears that the war we inserted ourselves into would be without any benefit to us was unmerited.  In exchange for placing our men and ships at the service of the Kaliph, we've gotten not one, but two, shiny medals.  No doubt every American heart will be bursting with pride over the medals our president and his heir presumptive have received in exchange for providing the Turks with American janissaries.

If we must go to war, it would be nice to have our blood and money being spent to further American goals rather than those of the Kaliph and the Mikado.  The president speaks of the influence we gain by sending our brave young men to die in foreign wars, yet what concrete benefits can he point to? This most recent war has demonstrated that even our associates act in their own self-interests rather than those of their alleged allies.  Even if by some mischance we needed their assistance in this hemisphere, there is no reason to think they will provide it unless they can wring some advantage out of it for themselves.

I actually offered up the Commander Islands in earlier negotiations if the US left the war, but it seems like I'm keeping them.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #199 on: May 12, 2014, 01:25:59 PM »

Anyway, the Senator's charges are utterly blown out of proportions. The U.S. Navy is going to provide support to the Ottoman Forces, if Bulgarians are not sensible enough to comply. No one expects U.S. troops to fight on the land.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies