Brian Schweitzer: southerners like Eric Cantor set off my gaydar
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:31:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Brian Schweitzer: southerners like Eric Cantor set off my gaydar
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Brian Schweitzer: southerners like Eric Cantor set off my gaydar  (Read 5196 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »

He's not wrong.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »

My dad literally said the same thing when we were discussing Cantor's defeat last week.
It's not wrong to say that, but it is wrong for a potential presidential candidate to be dismissing Southerners and the LBGT community when both are huge segments of our country. I know quite a few "effeminate" sounding men from the deep south, including my dad’s tenants (they joke about it with one another), but the way Schweitzer said this was in a negative context. He was trying to play the role of a Democratic Rush Limbaugh and only made an ass out of himself.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »

Glad to finally see there's one politician who says what's on his mind. The rest are too busy saying things that sound important, or otherwise pandering to voters. Regardless of whether he runs or not, it seems he doesn't give a damn. I'd like to be a politician like him someday, if only I could be so blessed.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 04:31:58 PM »

Glad to finally see there's one politician who says what's on his mind. The rest are too busy saying things that sound important, or otherwise pandering to voters. Regardless of whether he runs or not, it seems he doesn't give a damn. I'd like to be a politician like him someday, if only I could be so blessed.
I agree in principle, but I have become much more political than I used to be and thus worship at the altar of victory instead of philosophy now Tongue.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »

I agree in principle, but I have become much more political than I used to be and thus worship at the altar of victory instead of philosophy now Tongue.

It pains me to think that if I ever were a public figure, I'd have to censor my thoughts on social media. I'd like to think I'd somehow be able to retain my freedom of speech while disregarding the public and acquiring victory. After all, if you follow a politician via social networking, they always post pointless links that no real person cares about, or feel good messages that no one wants to read. The voters need much more than that cold, inhuman interaction with our leaders. They should be able to check their phones and find out that Obama just ate an entire pizza by himself after a long day of "work", or that Romney's been trying to let out silent gas all day due to some badly timed consumption of spicy food the night before.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »

It pains me to think that if I ever were a public figure, I'd have to censor my thoughts on social media. I'd like to think I'd somehow be able to retain my freedom of speech while disregarding the public and acquiring victory. After all, if you follow a politician via social networking, they always post pointless links that no real person cares about, or feel good messages that no one wants to read. The voters need much more than that cold, inhuman interaction with our leaders. They should be able to check their phones and find out that Obama just ate an entire pizza by himself after a long day of "work", or that Romney's been trying to let out silent gas all day due to some badly timed consumption of spicy food the night before.
These problems can be solved by being elected twice and then going batsh*t in the lame duck term Tongue.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »

These problems can be solved by being elected twice and then going batsh*t in the lame duck term Tongue.

The problem is that Americans can't stand to look in the mirror and see how ugly it would be if one of them was elected. As such, we were first led by the elites and the landed aristocracy. As democracy grew, so did the machine of democracy. Even "men of the people" were either rich or had gained heroism in some way. Into the 20th Century, we developed a massive media machine solely for the projection of an image onto candidates. When they claimed to be "one of us", they were still these plastic, air-brushed masks of what one might like to think an American would resemble. There's a deep sickness in this country that we can't even stand to put a real member of the electorate into power.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »

His comments about Feinstein are worse
This guy cannot be a serious candidate
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 05:06:04 PM »

It certainly says a lot about Brian Schweitzer that his first go-to as an insult for some guy is "he's effeminate."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 05:20:03 PM »

It certainly says a lot about Brian Schweitzer that his first go-to as an insult for some guy is "he's effeminate."

Is this a pattern with him saying people seem effeminate?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »

RIP Progressive Hero Brian Schweitzer

He turned out to be more of a Silvio Berlusconi than a Paul Wellstone. Shame, he could have made the Democratic primary interesting. Sad
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 06:10:32 PM »

MANLY MAN BRIAN SCHWEITZER
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 06:14:45 PM »

Am I the only one who doesn't see how Eric Cantor can remotely be considered effeminate? Huh
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »

Am I the only one who doesn't see how Eric Cantor can remotely be considered effeminate? Huh

Well, I think all Americans sound a bit camp. It's the sing-song accent that does it.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »

Schweitzer apologies:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That said, American needs more masculine progressive politicians to counter the chickenhawks and the Bloombergites.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 08:16:31 PM »

As a matter of amateur sociolinguistics, I actually do think Schweitzer is correct that many southern men talk in a way that comes across as stereotypically gay to those of us used to the more reserved mannerisms of regions like the upper Midwest (or Canada, in my case).

I've noticed that too, when traveling in the Deep South. It seems particularly common in Alabama for some reason. There's a tendency in Southern speech towards a somewhat nasal tone of voice and to vocalizing from the mouth rather than from lower in the throat, if that makes sense (not sure what the technical linguistic term is); those are features that also occur with the "gay voice."

There's also a weird bipolarity in Southern notions of masculinity - it's simultaneously this rugged alpha-male who drives a big truck and works a blue collar job and is rough around the edges, and the archetypal dandy "Southern Gentleman" who is neat and well-dressed and genteel in demeanor.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »

This guy is much more electable than Clinton though. Because he wears a bolo tie.

Damn right.

#populist
#notready4hillary
#2008redux
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »

Why is everyone acting like this guy is a hero simply for spouting off.  If anything this comment is mocking the gay community.  Shooting from the hip is fine, but does he even have a point relevant to world affairs?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2014, 02:18:51 AM »

I love how Hillary 2016 is going to go for Obama 2008 voters and Schweitzer's going to be going for Hillary 2008 voters. That tells you the outcome of any such primary, though...

With that being said, Cantor is a big ol' queen.
rob in cal
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »

Wonder how he feels about Lindsey Graham, who even had an opponent, Dave Feliciano, who said that Graham was "ambigously gay".
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »

Schweitzer is terrible. His "regular guy" populist act is cringe.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »

This guy is much more electable than Clinton though. Because he wears a bolo tie.

Damn right.

#populist
#notready4hillary
#2008redux

I suggest you look into the history of the American populist movement.  These sorts of comments go hand-in-hand with the populist tradition.  I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it has always been the case.  And more to the point, is there really anyone who hasn't had this thought about say, Lindsay Graham?  Lastly, he may still be more electable than Hillary in a GE, idk.  However, I do know that she's certainly not the strongest candidate, regardless of Schweitzer's electability.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2014, 04:15:39 AM »

Damn right.

#populist
#notready4hillary
#2008redux

I suggest you look into the history of the American populist movement.  These sorts of comments go hand-in-hand with the populist tradition.  I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it has always been the case.  And more to the point, is there really anyone who hasn't had this thought about say, Lindsay Graham?  Lastly, he may still be more electable than Hillary in a GE, idk.  However, I do know that she's certainly not the strongest candidate, regardless of Schweitzer's electability.

This sort of behavior might not be incompatible with left-wing populism, but it's not exactly required by it either. And if he wants to be a viable candidate, Schweitzer must understand that being offensive toward oppressed groups is a no-goer for modern progressivism.
Meursault
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2014, 05:08:19 AM »

"... being offensive towards oppressed groups is a no-goer for modern progressivism."

Lmao
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2014, 10:10:20 AM »

Gay people were literally Obama's margin of victory in 2012. Straight voters split evenly between Romney and Obama.

But yeah, let's definitely nominate a guy who goes around making homophobic comments.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies