Is Hillary getting overexposed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:14:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Hillary getting overexposed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: I'm afraid at this rate she's going to flame out by the end of the year, or at least next
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Is Hillary getting overexposed?  (Read 2474 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »

Discuss...
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:41:07 PM »

I worry about the same, but I do not think so....her constant coverage makes it impossible for any challenger to be seen as a viable alternative
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »

Maybe, but right now, the weakest I can see her ending up is winning the general election at Obama 2012 levels.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:49:19 PM »

At this point, it doesn't matter.  She's on a book tour and just staying in the conversation and public consciousness a little bit.  By the time the primary race starts, this will be ancient history.  We will forget this period of speculation 7 times over because it's ultimately just noise.  

The ultimate question for me is whether Hillary Clinton has learned the lessons of 2008.  My worry is that she's going to play it safe too much and come off as aloof and vague.  
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 11:53:09 PM »

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LunCdmF7PPs
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:55:30 AM »

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Definitely no. Not even close.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »

Not from the perspective of her publisher.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »

I think so.

It comes with benefits and drawbacks.

There is less room for plausible Democratic candidates to get attention.

But she is seen as a partisan figure, a senator turned cabinet member rather than an Eisenhower. That's problematic in a general election.

And her unforced errors might have the O'Malleys and Bidens of the world thinking they have a shot.
NHLiberal

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »

I think so.

But she is seen as a partisan figure, a senator turned cabinet member rather than an Eisenhower. That's problematic in a general election.

And her unforced errors might have the O'Malleys and Bidens of the world thinking they have a shot.

Agreed. Partisan figures are NEVER elected President. Nearly every President ever elected has an Eisenhower-esque background and it really unique circumstances for someone who has held a political office before to be elected President.

excelsus
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »

Thanks for the link.

Does anyone know Brandon Gaudreau?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »

I think so.

Agreed. Partisan figures are NEVER elected President. Nearly every President ever elected has an Eisenhower-esque background and it really unique circumstances for someone who has held a political office before to be elected President.
It depends on the goal posts.

I think Hillary Clinton has a good chance of being the next President. She also has a good chance of losing an election (be it a primary or the general) to the next President in a race where she's one partisan officeholder out of several.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 01:01:49 PM »

I think so.

I think Hillary Clinton has a good chance of being the next President. She also has a good chance of losing an election (be it a primary or the general) to the next President in a race where she's one partisan officeholder out of several.

Every single president we've had since Eisenhower has been a partisan office holder.
GaussLaw
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 01:38:05 PM »

Maybe, but right now, the weakest I can see her ending up is winning the general election at Obama 2012 levels.

Unless of course, the economy turns ugly, which is entirely possible.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »

Short answer: no. In fact her book tour is exposing that she is out of practice so it is probably helping her. The whole 'flat broke' thing and talking about multiple mortgages shows she really needs to relearn how to talk like a normal human, otherwise she has a semi-Mitt problem.
NHLiberal

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »

I think so.

Every single president we've had since Eisenhower has been a partisan office holder.

Exactly. That's why Mister Mets' concern that Hillary could lose because she's a partisan office holder rather than an office holder makes literally no sense.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »

I think so.

Exactly. That's why Mister Mets' concern that Hillary could lose because she's a partisan office holder rather than an office holder makes literally no sense.

Would a member of Congress or political appointee be as strong as an Army general?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »

No, because everyday people really don't pay attention to all this.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »

She may be for the time being, but she'll probably keep a low profile during late 2014/early 2015, so it will have no long term effect.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 06:39:04 PM »

I think so.

Really unique circumstances.... such as an opposition candidate who has the choice between publicly calling for a rejection of everything since the Renaissance, or being burned at the stake by a faction of their own party?
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »

I think so.

Would a member of Congress or political appointee be as strong as an Army general?

We don't even have to speculate about this--we already know the answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_2004
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »

I'm not sure. He's probably a Republican, but otherwise I wouldn't know if I even interacted with him ever. I likely have but haven't known it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 02:59:47 PM »

If she could manage to get out of her own way, this exposure is great for her.  She's starting to look like Biden did in the Senate or Romney in 2012.  That is, constantly eating her foot.  She's said a few things recently that have not been helpful in her image mainly she was dead broke or not that well off.  Bill's 'damage control' the other day, I think inadvertently inflicted more damage.  The good thing is as a previous poster points out, the 2016 race is not being followed by the Average Joe, yet.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 03:38:53 PM »

This is getting good.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 04:34:14 PM »

David Letterman recycled his joke about Obama asking her to start early recently; nobody seemed to notice it was a recycled punch line. So, based on this completely relevant observation, my answer is no.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 02:28:48 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2014, 03:05:20 AM by Ogre Mage »

No.  After six years away from electoral politics, this is an opportunity to get back into political "fighting form," experiment with political messaging and feel out the media in the relatively low pressure environment of a book tour.  It is essentially a test-run/listening tour for a presidential campaign.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies