Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:48:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 306203 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: June 24, 2007, 11:37:55 AM »

Is it too difficult to spell-check legislation before proposing it?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:14:52 AM »

I propose another amendment adding a new section stating:

1. Schools in the Southeast shall be exempt from this statue

rofl.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 08:02:34 AM »

A couple of questions I have about Por- er, Ebowed's newest bill.

3. The use of phosphates containing radium 226, which contains radioactive elements, which are attributed to 90% of smoking-related lung cancer deaths, as a fertilizer for tobacco crops is criminalized.

This is ambiguously worded. Are phosphates with radium 226 responsible for 90% of lung cancer deaths, or are radioactive elements in general?

Also, for debate's sake, can this statement be sourced?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What do you mean by crop? A specific area of field?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »

I'll introduce these.

Quote from: Restricted
Amended Mass Transit Infrastructure Investment Act of 2008

Whereas the revenue expected from the FY 2009 component ($5 per metric tonne of a total $10 per metric tonne tax) of the domestic Carbon Tax is expected to be an estimated $30 billion, and;

Whereas the Atlasian Senate finds that this environmental-based impact fee is best spent through investment in new mass transit options and research into alternative energy,

Therefore be it resolved that:

1. Funding Allocation. Atlasia shall dedicate 50% of the FY2009 carbon tax component ($2.5 per metric tonne or $15 billion in total), as a one time grant towards the new construction, upgrade, and maintenance of mass transit options.

2. Funding Distribution. Said funds shall be apportioned across the regions according to logistics, population, need, cost effectiveness, and potential to reduce carbon emissions.  Funds shall be distributed in accordance with recommendations from the Department of Transportation.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »

I'll introduce these.

Quote from: Restricted

Amended Mass Transit Infrastructure Investment Act of 2008

Whereas the revenue expected from the FY 2009 component ($5 per metric tonne of a total $10 per metric tonne tax) of the domestic Carbon Tax is expected to be an estimated $30 billion, and;

Whereas the Atlasian Senate finds that this environmental-based impact fee is best spent through investment in new mass transit options and research into alternative energy,

Therefore be it resolved that:

1. Funding Allocation. Atlasia shall dedicate 50% of the FY2009 carbon tax component ($2.5 per metric tonne or $15 billion in total), as a one time grant towards the new construction, upgrade, and maintenance of mass transit options.

2. Funding Distribution. Said funds shall be apportioned across the regions according to logistics, population, need, cost effectiveness, and potential to reduce carbon emissions.  Funds shall be distributed in accordance with recommendations from the Department of Transportation.

The latter Act was already introduced by Dwtl. (Wrong thread, too, but I'll be nice and count it.)

doh! I haven't had meh coffee yet.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »

My new bill:

Got the idea from Jas's new stuff.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:14:23 PM »

Legalization of Heroin Bill

Section 1: Findings
1. Heroin is a white, crystalline, narcotic powder, C21H23NO5, derived from morphine, formerly used as an analgesic and sedative.
2. The pharmaceutical price of heroin is only 5% of the average street price of heroin.

Section 2: Applicability
1. This law shall remove all federal restrictions on heroin in addition to legalization in Nyman and other federal territories which do not form a region.
2. The Regions of Atlasia shall be free to legalize and regulate heroin in any manner which they may choose.

Section 3: In Regards to the Legal Status of Heroin
1. The possession and consumption of heroin shall be legal.
2. This law shall not be interpreted as to decriminalize driving under the influence of heroin.
3. Penalties for driving under the influence of heroin shall be the same as those for driving under the influence of alcohol and other substances.

Section 4: Taxation
1. Taxes on heroin will be 30%.  Individual regions may set their own taxes on heroin as they see fit in addition to the federal tax which shall not exceed 20%.
2. Federal revenue raised from taxes on heroin shall be spent as follows:
   a.) 50% to a newly created National Opiate Addiction Help Center
   b.) 25% to funding for the needle exchange program created by the Atlasian Policy Regarding HIV/AIDS
   c.) 25% to improvements to federal interstate highways
3. Regional revenue generated from sales of heroin shall be used however the region deems necessary by a vote of the people upon voting for legalization.
4. The National Opiate Addiction Help Center shall not be funded by any other taxes.
5. The National Opiate Addiction Help Center shall focus on treatment options not involving methodone

Section 5: Purchases
1. Heroin shall be available at any licensed pharmacies.
2. Heroin shall not require a prescription but will kept behind the counter under all circumstances.
3. Individuals not in possession of the proper licenses shall still be prohibited from selling heroin.

Section 6: Age Restrictions
1. No one under the age of 18 shall be allowed to purchase heroin
2. Any pharmacist selling heroin to a person under the age of 18 shall be subject to any of the following:
   a.) a fine not to exceed $100,000
   b.) 30 days in a regional prison
   c.) a suspension or revokal of license

Friendly tips:

Section five needs to be reworded. Right now it seems to suggest that all pharmacies are required to sell heroin.

Also, you probably want to specify the 30% as a sales tax or whatever.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 12:48:28 PM »

A Senator should probably introduce this. Smiley

Senate Rules Correction Resolution

1. Article VIII, Section 1, Clause 2 is amended to the following:

"2. Any Senator shall have seventy-two (72) hours from such a public statement by the PPT and the President of the Senate to call for a resolution in the Senate to overrule the PPT and the President of the Senate in the use of powers designated by Clause 1 of this Article, if any Senator considers their decision to be on infringement of the intention of this resolution."

2. Article VIII, Section 1, Clause 3 is amended to the following:

"3. If this resolution passes by a two-thirds (2/3) vote in the affirmative (excluding the PPT), this joint action by the PPT and the President of the Senate shall be overruled."

3. Article IX, Section 1, Clause 2 is amended to the following:

"2. Following the swearing in of the new Senate at the beginning of each Session, the President of the Senate shall open a thread in the Fantasy Government board for Senators to announce their candidacy for the position of PPT. This thread shall be further known in this document as the PPT Candidacy Declaration Thread and shall be open for forty-eight (48) hours for Senators to declare their candidacy for the position."

4. Article IX, Section 1, Clause 3 is amended to the following:

"3. After forty-eight (48) hours, the PPT Candidacy Declaration Thread shall be closed and a vote on the election of the new PPT shall be opened in a new thread by the President of the Senate. This vote shall last for a maximum of five (5) days during which time the Senators must vote. Any and all Senators who do not vote will be considered to have abstained."
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 01:04:08 PM »

Much thanks!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 01:31:27 PM »

I love the idea, though I think six months is a bit too long. Two or three? I also like PS's ideas.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »

No, we don't.  We just need Bacon King to step in and take over.  He did such a great job before.

If the rest of the Senate will agree, I would be okay with just letting BK preside over the remainder of the 33rd Senate.

First off, Senator, thank you for your kind words Smiley

I have started the PPT election process because the current Senate rules require a PPT to be elected immediately following the resignation of the current PPT. The rules also prevent the VP from directly running the Senate except when the PPT is absent.

I agree with you that a PPT is not always necessary- I think the option to elect one should exist, but I don't think it should be mandatory. I also think the VP should be allowed to run things to an extent even when a PPT is present.

I'd support it if anyone were to change any of this.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »

No, we don't.  We just need Bacon King to step in and take over.  He did such a great job before.

If the rest of the Senate will agree, I would be okay with just letting BK preside over the remainder of the 33rd Senate.

First off, Senator, thank you for your kind words Smiley

I have started the PPT election process because the current Senate rules require a PPT to be elected immediately following the resignation of the current PPT. The rules also prevent the VP from directly running the Senate except when the PPT is absent.

I agree with you that a PPT is not always necessary- I think the option to elect one should exist, but I don't think it should be mandatory. I also think the VP should be allowed to run things to an extent even when a PPT is present.

I'd support it if anyone were to change any of this.

As a matter of precedent, there have been a number of VPs who did actively work with the PPT in helping keep Senate business moving along. IMO, it's a matter for the PPT and VP to decide themselves how they wish to work together.

I'd love to be more active, of course, but Senate Regulations specifically say I can't do many things unless the PPT misses a deadline or is away.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »

Repeal of Privacy Protection Act:

FL 31-18 is hereby repealed.

Just a note here, Franzl- this would have gone onto the Senate floor anyway, even without Tmthforu94's sponsorship. The anti-clogging language in Senate bylaws only prevents a person from having too many bills on the floor if there are other bills waiting behind them. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »

Question. When exactly do HAEV members get reappointed? and in what order?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »

Question. When exactly do HAEV members get reappointed? and in what order?
A question of some debate.

We serve 6 months term, staggered every 2 months, but there was no consideration in the original bill, in what order the original 3 would split.

Barnes helped out by going just before 2 months, so I stated at the time that Bullmoose was considered to be filling the regular vacancy rather than a special vacancy.

4 months from creation is around 20th April, and either Meeker or I could go at that time (and potentially be renominated). I've had no discussions at all with anybody over which of us would go first, though we'll have to eventually cross that bridge.

I suppose you and Meeker could decide between yourselves, if nothing else.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »

The only problem is that there needs to be a method for a region to leave the partnership if it changes its mind.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »

Repeal the HAEV Act

The High Authority for Ethics in Voting Act is hereby repealed.

Ahem.  What is the holdup in this being opened on the Senate floor?  Bacon King, I sent you a PM yesterday about this.

There was no space on the floor for the bill then. There isn't really now even, but I'm allowing it in the PPT slot for prudency's sake since slot three will be empty tomorrow anyway and your bill's the next in line. I like to keep the PPT slot open for big emergencies since the "Forum Affairs/Emergency" slot is mostly taken up by the huge amount of Forum Affairs legislation we have.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 12:33:40 PM »

Introduced on behalf of the Renaissance Caucus and Peter.

BK, do you think we can ram this through by the Friday?

Sorry for not responding earlier, but no; giving it the minimum debate time would have given it less than a day's leeway before the new Senate. If it was even friendlily amended it would be pushed into the new session. Best to wait, I think. I'll gladly reintroduce it myself, even Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 09:35:37 PM »

I don't know if I have to do anything formally, but I've resigned from the Senate:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=132615.0
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »

I suggest this discussion be taken to a new thread?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies