What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:35:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in?  (Read 2143 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« on: January 08, 2015, 03:17:23 AM »

The coldest I remember was at some point in winter when I was ca. 18 years old.

A few highschool friends of mine and I made the "mistake" to go tobogganing up a mountain and drive down the 10 miles into the valley at 9pm or 9:30pm at night, after spending a few hours on top of the mountain in a restaurant to chat and drink a few shots (I do this about 10 times each winter, also just a few days ago).

So, when we went up the mountain at ca. 5pm, it had ca. -12°C (10°F) down in the valley and some -18°C (0°F) on top of the mountain. The sky was blue and without clouds.

When we bumped out of the mountain restaurant at ca. 9pm though, it had something like -25° (-13°F) or -30°C (-22°F) up there.

And then we had to start tobogganing down 10 miles on our sleds, with ca. 30-50km/h (20-30 mph), because the gondola down was of course already closed at that time !

Imagine the wind chill while driving in this friggin' cold ! Probably -40 or -50°C (-40°F or -58°F) or something.

Of course, we all had good winter clothing and everything, including scarves, but when we arrived down there we still had icicles hanging down from the scarves and borderline frostbites in our faces (that were only covered with the thin scarves), as well as on our hands and feet.

I still have the pictures of us with icicles on us somewhere on one of my portable harddisks ... Tongue

Never again in these kinds of temps !!!

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies