O'Malley Gets Cold Response After He Says 'White Lives Matter, All Lives Matter'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:44:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  O'Malley Gets Cold Response After He Says 'White Lives Matter, All Lives Matter'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: O'Malley Gets Cold Response After He Says 'White Lives Matter, All Lives Matter'  (Read 3979 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2015, 05:31:30 PM »

Source

He then walked back and apologized pathetically. Is this what liberal activists have become. Saying 'all lives matter' is now racially insensitive?
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:34:30 PM »

source

He then walked back and apologized pathetically. Is this what liberal activists have become. Saying 'all lives matter' is now racially insensitive?

It's just tone deaf, white people aren't getting murdered in the streets by cops on a regular basis and then having there character impugned posthumously by the media after they die. It's especially tone deaf coming from O'Malley since in his tenure as mayor of Baltimore he effectively was Rudy Giuliani with a D after his name in terms of turning his city into a police state and increasing the amount of interactions between citizens and the cops which inevitably lead to more black people getting arrested or killed.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 05:43:24 PM »

Source

yes, because it is literally always used to derail conversations about anti-black violence.

when martin o'malley, in response to black people saying that the police shouldn't be murdering black people, asks "well maybe but also what about us white people," despite the fact that white people are orders of magnitude less likely to be murdered by police, it's at best terrifyingly out of touch.

it's the equivalent of someone asking you to help because their house is on fire, and you respond "house fires are bad, but also the fact that i stubbed my toe is bad"
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:59:35 PM »

Source

yes, because it is literally always used to derail conversations about anti-black violence.

when martin o'malley, in response to black people saying that the police shouldn't be murdering black people, asks "well maybe but also what about us white people," despite the fact that white people are orders of magnitude less likely to be murdered by police, it's at best terrifyingly out of touch.

it's the equivalent of someone asking you to help because their house is on fire, and you respond "house fires are bad, but also the fact that i stubbed my toe is bad"

Martin O'Malley clearly didn't mean it that way. We all know black people are disproportionately subject to police shootings, that should certainly be part of the conversation.  I don't see how during discussing it, saying that all lives matter, not just black lives, is insensitive.

Also, police killing blacks unjustifiably is a house on fire, while police killing whites unjustifiably is stubbing a toe? Its about quantitative difference here, not qualitative. The fact that the left has taken a serious issue (police brutality) and made it about identity politics and race more than the brutality itself is what is turning people like me away from your ideology even further.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 07:11:40 PM »

It is pandering 101. Tell the people in front of you what they want to hear and move on. If you are dealing with a bunch of screaming Red Sox fans you don't say "The Red Sox are great, but the Yankees are great too."
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:12:42 PM »

Source

Martin O'Malley clearly didn't mean it that way. We all know black people are disproportionately subject to police shootings, that should certainly be part of the conversation.  I don't see how during discussing it, saying that all lives matter, not just black lives, is insensitive.

Also, police killing blacks unjustifiably is a house on fire, while police killing whites unjustifiably is stubbing a toe? Its about quantitative difference here, not qualitative. The fact that the left has taken a serious issue (police brutality) and made it about identity politics and race more than the brutality itself is what is turning people like me away from your ideology even further.

It is akin to suggesting that there should be a free soup kitchen for rich people or that there should be a cancer hospital for people who don't have cancer.

There are social problems that disproportionately impact white people. Prescription drug abuse is probably the most obvious one. If a politician were speaking at a rehab clinic in West Virginia about the need for more federal funding for inpatient treatment and someone like Sheila Jackson Lee or Maxine Waters barged in the room and was like, "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BLACK FOLKS?!" I would say that was a very tone-deaf and insensitive thing to do.

Likewise, when you feel the need to discuss white people in a conversation about racial profiling and police brutality - two issues where white people as a group really don't need any advocacy - it's a pointless distraction.
rob in cal
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:40:11 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe I heard that whites make up 49% of those killed by police, and blacks 31%.  Clearly that 31% is higher than the black population, but its probably in the ball park of those involved in violent, or potential violent situations with the police.
   It would have been interesting if O'Malley had said Hispanic lives matter, immigrant lives matter, Asian lives matter, Greek lives matter, Irish American lives matter etc, to see at what point the crowd would have started booing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 12:49:02 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2015, 12:52:09 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe I heard that whites make up 49% of those killed by police, and blacks 31%.  Clearly that 31% is higher than the black population, but its probably in the ball park of those involved in violent, or potential violent situations with the police.
   It would have been interesting if O'Malley had said Hispanic lives matter, immigrant lives matter, Asian lives matter, Greek lives matter, Irish American lives matter etc, to see at what point the crowd would have started booing.

Blacks are certainly disproportionately killed by police, but yeah the idea that whites don't get killed is silly. For example.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/08/what-i-did-after-police-killed-my-son-110038.html#.Va3dKlozazc
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 06:52:48 AM »

Whites have been shot and killed by the police as well.

Two examples: James Boyd and Kelly Thomas.

Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »

Someone running for the Democratic party's nomination should be more aware of the various shibboleths of the activist left.

A Republican could respond to activists with "I agree with you. All lives matter." and help himself in the General Election, but that's not a valid way to win a democratic primary.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »

Blacks are one of the most reliable Democratic demographic groups. Black women, especially, are really the heart and soul of the modern party, both in activism and actual voting. It would behoove presidential candidates for the Democratic nomination to have at least a cursory understanding of the issues that are important them, and that includes the political language they use.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 04:25:39 PM »

Someone running for the Democratic party's nomination should be more aware of the various shibboleths of the activist left.

A Republican could respond to activists with "I agree with you. All lives matter." and help himself in the General Election, but that's not a valid way to win a democratic primary.

Agreed. The content of what he said wasn't dumb but the fact that he said it was dumb.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 06:20:40 PM »

Agreed. The content of what he said wasn't dumb but the fact that he said it was dumb.

Not that the GOP is in great shape.  But if the above is true, this is a sad commentary on today's Democratic Party.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 07:26:45 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2015, 07:28:18 PM by Beezer »

source

It's just tone deaf, white people aren't getting murdered in the streets by cops on a regular basis

I know it's Fox News but still...

Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 08:11:55 PM »

Blacks are one of the most reliable Democratic demographic groups. Black women, especially, are really the heart and soul of the modern party, both in activism and actual voting. It would behoove presidential candidates for the Democratic nomination to have at least a cursory understanding of the issues that are important them, and that includes the political language they use.

...particularly any candidate with as dubious a regard wrt organized police-on-black violence as O'Malley.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 11:29:08 PM »

It is pandering 101. Tell the people in front of you what they want to hear and move on. If you are dealing with a bunch of screaming Red Sox fans you don't say "The Red Sox are great, but the Yankees are great too."

Unfortunately for him, O'Malley doesn't pander.

I would have said, "White lives matter. Hispanic lives matter. Black lives matter. All lives, every one of them, all of them matter."

I like O'Malley, and I'd likely vote for him over anybody but Kasich on the Republicans' side.

If it turned out to be Clinton v. (Anyone not Bush, Rubio, Paul or Kasich), I'd likely vote for Jesse Ventura, Gary Johnson, Rocky Anderson, or a random centrist party. Most likely I'd write-in Huntsman/Lieberman.

I really hate the Republican's right flank, the Democrat's left flank, and Clinton.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 11:49:39 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe I heard that whites make up 49% of those killed by police, and blacks 31%.  Clearly that 31% is higher than the black population, but its probably in the ball park of those involved in violent, or potential violent situations with the police.

If the numbers you posted are correct, it is worth pointing out that whites make up 72% of the United States population and African-Americans are 13%. 

But whites aren't 72% of those killed by the police -- they are only 49%.  And African-Americans are 31% -- which is more than double their share of the U.S. population.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 11:52:08 PM »

I know it's Fox News but still...

There are over six times as many whites as blacks in the US, though, so that's per capita two times more blacks than whites.

EDIT: Ogre Mage beat me to the punch.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 11:59:37 PM »

If the numbers you posted are correct, it is worth pointing out that whites make up 72% of the United States population and African-Americans are 13%. 

But whites aren't 72% of those killed by the police -- they are only 49%.  And African-Americans are 31% -- which is more than double their share of the U.S. population.

But we also have to remember that despite being 13% of the population blacks commit roughly half of all murder's in the USA, and more then half of all robberies.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

The fact is that due to social circumstances blacks commit a wildly disproportionate amount of crimes in the United States. So it figures that they would correspondingly have a disproportionate number of fatalities involving law enforcement.

I really for the life of me don't understand why more people don't realize this.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 12:00:59 AM »

The fact still remains that black people, particularly young black males, are much more likely to be shot, or at least harassed by the police. Do you honestly think that Eric Garner would have suffered the same fate if he were white?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 12:07:23 AM »

The fact still remains that black people, particularly young black males, are much more likely to be shot, or at least harassed by the police.

And I just pointed out why.

Do you honestly think that Eric Garner would have suffered the same fate if he were white?

I don't know. This is begging the question.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 12:24:57 AM »

But we also have to remember that despite being 13% of the population blacks commit roughly half of all murder's in the USA, and more then half of all robberies.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf

The fact is that due to social circumstances blacks commit a wildly disproportionate amount of crimes in the United States. So it figures that they would correspondingly have a disproportionate number of fatalities involving law enforcement.

I really for the life of me don't understand why more people don't realize this.

A study by The Guardian found that unarmed blacks are far more likely to be killed by the police than unarmed whites. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/01/us-police-killings-this-year-black-americans
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 01:05:38 AM »

The fact still remains that black people, particularly young black males, are much more likely to be shot, or at least harassed by the police.

And I just pointed out why.

Do you honestly think that Eric Garner would have suffered the same fate if he were white?

I don't know. This is begging the question.

Even if blacks commit a higher percentage of murders, does that really justify police officers specifically stopping unarmed young black men who haven't done anything wrong?

How is that begging the question? If the answer is no, then how can you argue that the police aren't treating black people unfairly?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 01:14:22 AM »

I would have said, "White lives matter. Hispanic lives matter. Black lives matter. All lives, every one of them, all of them matter."

I like O'Malley, and I'd likely vote for him over anybody but Kasich on the Republicans' side.

If it turned out to be Clinton v. (Anyone not Bush, Rubio, Paul or Kasich), I'd likely vote for Jesse Ventura, Gary Johnson, Rocky Anderson, or a random centrist party. Most likely I'd write-in Huntsman/Lieberman.

I really hate the Republican's right flank, the Democrat's left flank, and Clinton.

LOL at the idea of Jesse Ventura running on a random centrist party after endorsing Bernie Sanders.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 04:34:20 AM »

LOL at the idea of Jesse Ventura running on a random centrist party after endorsing Bernie Sanders.

I probably missed that.

However, I thought he was running for the Libertarian or Reform nod this year.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies