Atlas Posters during the Vietnam era
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 02:02:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Posters during the Vietnam era
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Atlas Posters during the Vietnam era  (Read 2047 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »

I'd probably be in the Humphrey camp, but still angry that he wouldn't disavow 'Nam.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 05:36:54 PM »

"George Romney must have gone to a leadership conference"
"Other than that, how was the California victory celebration?"
"That Vietnam peace talk sabotage is the most crazy conspiracy theory I've ever heard"

Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 05:44:45 PM »

Voting? Would I have voted? Probably not. Would have been caught up in counter-culture hippiedom and getting high as opposed to the SDS crowd.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 05:54:25 PM »

I'd have been a George Wallace-supporting redneck.

So a racist?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »

I am not a racist and I have no reason to think that I would have been a racist during the Vietnam War era. I am obviously completely opposed to segregation, but at the time, I probably would have opposed desegregation busing and sympathized with soft segregationists.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2016, 02:58:01 PM »

Johnson is my favorite president of all time, even with Vietnam. While I'd be against the war, I couldn't discount his domestic accomplishments.

So, after he dropped out, I'd probably go for Humphrey.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 12:10:20 AM »

Given their views on ME style interventions, a good number of posters here, esp. red avatars, would have been LBJ-loyalists to the bitter end and called anyone who didn't believe in carpet bombing Viet Nam a Ho Chi Minh apologist.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 12:31:16 AM »

I would probably have been a Nixon 1960/LBJ 1964/Nixon 1968/Nixon 1972/Carter 1976 voter.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 12:35:12 AM »

I would've loathed Johnson (more) and probably been some sort of hippie. I certainly would've opposed the war, probably from the beginning (although it could depend on how old I was). That being said, I might would've voted for Goldwater in '64 on his domestic policy. Probably would've been a McCarthy supporter in the '68 primaries (mostly single-issue 'Nam), too apathetic and therefore high to vote in the general. Oh, and I also would've been very pro-civil rights (hopefully my white Southern upbringing would not change my strict adherence to "equal protection under the law").

Might would've ended up in Canada. The draft was unquestionably a horrific breach of human rights, especially for a war we have no business in, and therefore there's absolutely nothing wrong to dodge it (not a state-worshipping fascist, sane, normal, etc.).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2016, 12:40:33 AM »

I'd be a Kennedy 1960/ABSTAIN or Goldwater 1964/Humphrey 1968/Hospers 1972*/Ford 1976. I don't pick winners very well, apparently.

*here's hoping I live in the right state
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 12:53:03 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2016, 02:00:47 AM by Intell »

I'd be a strong democrat, hating hippies and drugs. Probably would have opposed the Vietnam war, after (if american), supporting at the start. Probably a Kennedy supporter, then later a Humphrey Loyalist, not liking Wallace for giving the election to Nixon, but still liking Wallace better than Nixon and probably hatting McCarthy, the whole burn the american flag, not endorsing Humphrey, being a libertarian and not supporting some Johnson programs. In 72', I'd be a Humphrey loyalist, questioning why he's not more anti-war, would think about voting Nixon, but probably vote McGovern in the end.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 01:46:16 AM »

Id make a shift from a new deal democrat to a Reagan conservative gop from 1960-1975
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 01:56:26 AM »

I'd be a strong democrat, hating hippies and drugs. Probably would have opposed the Vietnam war, after (if american), supporting at the start. Probably a Kennedy supporter, hating then later a Humphrey Loyalist, not liking Wallace for giving the election to Nixon, but still liking Wallace better than Nixon and probably hatting McCarthy, the whole burn the american flag, not endorsing Humphrey, being a libertarian and not supporting some Johnson programs. In 72', I'd be a Humphrey loyalist, questioning why he's not more anti-war, would think about voting Nixon, but probably vote McGovern in the end.

Basically this, except I'd always be against the war.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 02:00:37 AM »

Assuming i'm about the age I am now in the late 60s I think I would have followed a relatively similar political trajectory. Probably a young Stevenson supporter in the 50s that was a big JFK supporter in 60 and at first an enthusiastic LBJ supporter in 64 before turning strongly against him over Vietnam which I never would have supported. Probably grown increasingly radical and disgusted with the Democratic Party supporting McCarthy in 68.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 02:04:15 AM »

Depends for me. I'd say a moderate republican who strongly backed Nixon. Would've hated the counterculture and hippie movements, but would have also only been a marginal supporter of the war, if only to support our troops.

Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2016, 02:11:24 AM »

Cathcon would probably be beating up hippies on campus and idolizing Jay Edger Hoover Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »

Cathcon would probably be beating up hippies on campus and idolizing Jay Edger Hoover Tongue

*J.

And why do you say that?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »

At the time I'd probably support Uncle Ho.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2016, 12:30:03 PM »

*J.

And why do you say that?

Just because you always say how you want to go into intelligence work or something. Maybe i'll remove the "beating up hippies" part.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2016, 01:35:09 PM »

not trying to start sh**t, I apologize cathcon. You seem to get along fine with political opponents in this era so I imagine you would in that era as well.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2016, 01:46:51 PM »

Would've strongly supported the war and might've volunteered; I like to think if I'd been drafted I would've gone without complaint. Politically I would've been a Goldwater diehard, probably supporting Nixon without too much complaint in '68 but then extremely reluctantly in '72.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2016, 03:05:10 PM »

I am not a racist and I have no reason to think that I would have been a racist during the Vietnam War era. I am obviously completely opposed to segregation, but at the time, I probably would have opposed desegregation busing and sympathized with soft segregationists.

"I'm not a racist, but I would symphatize with soft segregationist".

How logical.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »

Would've strongly supported the war and might've volunteered; I like to think if I'd been drafted I would've gone without complaint. Politically I would've been a Goldwater diehard, probably supporting Nixon without too much complaint in '68 but then extremely reluctantly in '72.

So you would have been the one beating up hippies then Tongue
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2016, 01:15:10 AM »

Id make a shift from a new deal democrat to a Reagan conservative gop from 1960-1975
My main shift would come in LBJ 2nd term and Nixon First term. After all the problems in the LBJ era social unrest, the economic prosperity over the past two decades unraveling I would get disillusioned with liberal polices  of more taxation , more regulations and then the wage and price controls would totally take me out of LBJ new deal stance. Then the bungling war in vietnam would likely make me turn against dem foreign policy and Nixon success in that department  would make me a conservative on foreign policy as well. Then the panama papers revealing LBJ lies and Watergate would make me totally disillusioned with the politicians and Reagan's 1976 campaign would make me a soft Reagan conservative gop . Then after 4 years after Carter I would be a strong Reagan conservative.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies