Probably, the New York Times and the Economist will endorse Hillary Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:02:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Probably, the New York Times and the Economist will endorse Hillary Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Probably, the New York Times and the Economist will endorse Hillary Clinton  (Read 1303 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »

The last Republican endorsed by the New York Times was Eisenhower in 1956. Even in the landslides of 1972 and 1984, the NYT endorsed McGovern and Mondale. Even in 1976, when the race had a religious southern democrat and a moderate northern republican, the NYT endorsed Jimmy Carter. The NYT will endorse Donald Trump only if the newspaper decide to make some trolling. Or if the Trump Family buy the newspaper. Otherwise, if the NYT decide not to endorse Hillary Clinton, there is bigger probability to endorse Jill Stein.

The Economist had more balanced endorsements. This British newspaper endorsed Ronald Reagan 1980, Bill Clinton 1992, Bob Dole 1996, George W. Bush 2000, John Kerry 2004, Barack Obama 2008 and Barack Obama 2012. Since it endorsed democrats in the three most recent elections, there would be a bigger probability to endorse a republican this year. But Donald Trump doesn't fit into the Economist's political views. The Economist could endorse a more free-marketer republican. Maybe, the newspaper can endorse Gary Johnson. But I think it is hard to endorse a minor candidate. So, I think that probably, the Economist will endorse Hillary Clinton too.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »

Ima give you a pass on the whole subject-verb agreement thing because you do it with style.

Stay thirsty, my friend.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:08:56 AM »

In other news, grass is green.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 04:08:50 PM »

Hillary Clinton winning all fifty states (including the 3rd district of Nebraska) is considerably more likely than the New York Times endorsing Trump.
As for the Economist endorsing Trump, this is slightly more likely - as in about as likely as Clinton winning 45 states.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »

Yeah I've heard DailyKos is going to endorse Hillary as well - most shocking endorsement since Bill Clinton endorsed Hillary imo.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »

Hillary Clinton winning all fifty states (including the 3rd district of Nebraska) is considerably more likely than the New York Times endorsing Trump.
As for the Economist endorsing Trump, this is slightly more likely - as in about as likely as Clinton winning 45 states.

Well if the Dallas Morning News endorsed Hillary, who knows what could happen?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 05:36:05 PM »

do y'all read the New York Times?  I usually read the Washington Post online.  As a matter of fact, I check in just about every day.  Even when I lived in Manhattan I rarely read the times.  It's stolid and particularly boring.  I suppose it appeals to some folks, but I guess I'm too shallow for it.  For example, right now, if you click on nytimes.com, you'll see that the main headline is A Secret History of Colombian Warlords in American Jails.  Sure, it's an interesting and well-written story, and it should be told--and heard--but the telling there is stodgy.  

I really don't think endorsements matter, by the way.  If your hometown newspaper endorses Curious George for mayor, are you any more likely to vote for Curious George because of it?  So we can regard the whole discussion as more of a curio than anything else.  Still, I wonder how many of you turn to the NYT as your main daily digest in the first place.  I know I don't.  There was a period when it was free--my neighbor when I lived in Manhattan subscribed by he was a very late riser, and I'd walk out into the hallway and get his paper around 7:30 and read it and return it by 10 or so; he was never the wiser.  All I ever got out of it was black fingertips.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 12:12:22 AM »

It seems like this election is accelerating the trend seen since 2008 of "smart/respectable" conservative/market-friendly newspapers and magazines distancing themselves from the Republican Party.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »

NYT endorsed Hillary Clinton
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/opinion/sunday/hillary-clinton-for-president.html?_r=0
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 07:58:22 PM »

Why'd it take so long? If I were them I'd make a point of endorsing Hillary right after Drumpf got officially nominated at the RNC. Would have been a good way to show that the choice is so obvious.
Hilldog
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 01:56:56 AM »

New York Times isn't taken seriously outside of the Democrat Party.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 11:17:18 PM »

prophetic.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 08:27:59 AM »

Since it endorsed democrats in the three most recent elections, there would be a bigger probability to endorse a republican this year.

I'm no math major, but that's not how statistics works.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 09:45:23 AM »

New York Times isn't taken seriously outside of the Democrat Party.
lol ok
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 03:59:18 PM »

NYT isn't even a question.

There's maybe a minuscule chance The Economist endorses Johnson, but there's a 99% chance they endorse Clinton.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 06:30:03 PM »

The Economist endorsed Hillary Clinton
http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21709540-why-we-would-cast-our-hypothetical-vote-hillary-clinton-americas-best-hope
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies