Jorge Ramos: Trump has Damaged GOP For Generations with Hispanics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:28:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jorge Ramos: Trump has Damaged GOP For Generations with Hispanics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jorge Ramos: Trump has Damaged GOP For Generations with Hispanics  (Read 2882 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/20/jorge-ramos-trump-lost-latinos-for-good-with-bad-hombres-line.html
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 07:49:43 PM »

He's damaged the party for more than hispanics.  They may not come back from this for a while.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 07:53:55 PM »

The idea that the GOP can't recover with Latinos strikes me as wishful thinking on the part of Dems.  In my view, a lot of it depends on whether the party adjusts to become more inclusive on issues that are important to many of them, like immigration reform.  Kasich or Rubio could potentially do quite well with the Latino vote in 2020.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »

The idea that the GOP can't recover with Latinos strikes me as wishful thinking on the part of Dems.  In my view, a lot of it depends on whether the party adjusts to become more inclusive on issues that are important to many of them, like immigration reform.  Kasich or Rubio could potentially do quite well with the Latino vote in 2020.

Which we already know they won't make these adjustments.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 08:04:41 PM »

Kasich or Rubio could potentially do quite well with the Latino vote in 2020.
The problem is that they do not represent the republican base.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 08:09:51 PM »

Trump is doing to Latinos what Goldwater did to us Black people. Period.

Don't be surprised that by 2028 that they vote 87-11 Democratic.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 08:10:28 PM »

No, the Republican base does not have anything against Hispanics.  The effort by Democrats to turn hispanics into an us vs them thing in this country is really disgusting.  Hispanics are extremly assimilated.  I live among many Trump supporters and nobody says boo about Hispanics.  Its really become a disgusting smear in the last couple years, and one that is damaging for the country, all for political gain.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 08:17:44 PM »

Trump's candidacy will have worse long term effects than short term effects. A more mainstream Republican (Kasich?)  could win next time, like Nixon in 68 after Goldwater, but the long term damage is done. Trump will have nearly the effect that Goldwater had on blacks in turning Hispanics off the GOP, plus the "generational effects" of turning millennials into Democrats forever due to the GOP being the "party of Trump". Nominating a Hispanic (and possibly having a Hispanic president leading the party for 8 years) is about the only thing that could change the tide with Hispanics. I'm not sure who it could be, though. I think Rubio/Cruz's presidential aspirations are dead in the water after all that's happened this cycle.  
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 08:17:48 PM »

No, the Republican base does not have anything against Hispanics.  The effort by Democrats to turn hispanics into an us vs them thing in this country is really disgusting.  Hispanics are extremly assimilated.  I live among many Trump supporters and nobody says boo about Hispanics.  Its really become a disgusting smear in the last couple years, and one that is damaging for the country, all for political gain.

Give me a break.

Your party nominated Trump. We didn't have to do anything for you guys to piss off Latinos. The hole you are in is entirely from your own doing.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 08:20:11 PM »

Dude, have you been living under a rock during the past year and a half and not seen anything from Trump's campaign?
Cashew
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 08:25:32 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2016, 08:27:51 PM by Cashew »

Hispanics are extremly assimilated.
I agree with this to a large extent, however Hispanic culture is inherently in favor of larger government. Stick your head in the sand all you want, despite all the rhetoric about Hispanics being "natural conservatives" this is still not compatible with Anglo conservatism, and I will admit the republican base is justified in their concern over what the demographic deluge will mean for the future of american politics, however they are the ones to blame for shooting themselves in the foot thinking this could be reversed.

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 08:52:42 PM »

I agree with this to a large extent, however Hispanic culture is inherently in favor of larger government. Stick your head in the sand all you want, despite all the rhetoric about Hispanics being "natural conservatives" this is still not compatible with Anglo conservatism, and I will admit the republican base is justified in their concern over what the demographic deluge will mean for the future of american politics, however they are the ones to blame for shooting themselves in the foot thinking this could be reversed.

Personally I never got all the fuss about Hispanics causing problems for Republicans in the long run, prior to Trump formally branding the GOP as anti-Hispanic/immigrant. Immigrants come here and start at the bottom, so of course they support Democrats, but gradually they will assimilate into middle class suburbia as their status grows and thus have the same interest as the GOP's middle class suburban base. There's no reason it had to be any different than the situation with Irish/Italian immigrants, until the Republicans decided to alienate them for the foreseeable future.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »

Personally I never got all the fuss about Hispanics causing problems for Republicans in the long run, prior to Trump formally branding the GOP as anti-Hispanic/immigrant. Immigrants come here and start at the bottom, so of course they support Democrats, but gradually they will assimilate into middle class suburbia as their status grows and thus have the same interest as the GOP's middle class suburban base. There's no reason it had to be any different than the situation with Irish/Italian immigrants, until the Republicans decided to alienate them for the foreseeable future.

This isn't accurate.

People tend to vote same party for life.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »

Give me a break.
Your party nominated Trump. We didn't have to do anything for you guys to piss off Latinos. The hole you are in is entirely from your own doing.

Exactly !
How big was that Democratic gun when it was put to trump's head and forced him to say that the vast majority of immigrants are drug dealers, criminals and rapists ?
I don't remember a Democratic tank pointed towards the orange-haired slug when he said that a federal judge born in Indiana would be unfit to preside over a trump case, because of his "Hispanic heritage."
And the list goes on, and on, with instances of trump attacking or making crude remarks towards many other minority groups, including Muslims, women, the disabled, etc.
When one minority group is attacked, others start to feel apprehensive and threatened, thinking they are next .... and trump proved this concern to be true.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 09:08:16 PM »

This isn't accurate.

No no, George Soros is only a Democrat because he's extremely poor.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »

No, the Republican base does not have anything against Hispanics. The effort by Democrats to turn hispanics into an us vs them thing in this country is really disgusting.  Hispanics are extremly assimilated.  I live among many Trump supporters and nobody says boo about Hispanics.  Its really become a disgusting smear in the last couple years, and one that is damaging for the country, all for political gain.

If Republicans were more focused on trying to look for amnesty or comprehensive reform, instead of going the cop-out way of joining Trump's rhetoric of wall building, perhaps I can have some sympathy.

Republicans should have dropped him when they had the chance and willfully ended up exacerbating the us vs us animosity.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »

This isn't accurate.

Some of it is inter-generational. Irish/Italian/Polish American Catholics don't really vote more D than other white people anymore, so there's clearly precedent.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »

If the Democrats nominate a militant atheist a few decades from now things could change.  But unfortunately, the GOP now will be pandering to white Northeastern Democrats for the next few decades to win national elections.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 10:06:20 PM »

If the Democrats nominate a militant atheist a few decades from now things could change.  But unfortunately, the GOP now will be pandering to white Northeastern Democrats for the next few decades to win national elections.
This is their only reasonable path from now on. Still you are underestimating the stubbornness of southern republicans if you think they will allow they party to moderate to appeal to northeasterners.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 10:08:09 PM »

This isn't accurate.

Some of it is inter-generational. Irish/Italian/Polish American Catholics don't really vote more D than other white people anymore, so there's clearly precedent.

Your forgetting that these group assimilated when black people moved to North in droves. This allowed Irish, Polish, and Italian to become just white. Racial discrimination was not directed at them anymore.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »

This isn't accurate.

Your forgetting that these group assimilated when black people moved to North in droves. This allowed Irish, Polish, and Italian to become just white. Racial discrimination was not directed at them anymore.

They were still Catholic, though. By the "demographic destiny" argument (curiously proposed by both the craziest of far-right Republicans and by a lot of Democrats), the Republicans should have been destroyed as a political force by the rise of Catholic immigrants long ago, yet they did just fine in the end.

Incidentally, if the Republicans fall apart in a big way, then the Democrats won't last much longer. The tensions between socialists and liberals, environmentalists and union members, working class white voters and immigrants, etc are only held at bay because of the threat of the Republicans. If the Republicans are crippled as a political force, some of those groups will either switch over to the Republicans (or whoever replaces them) or just create their own parties. There is no world in which Hillary-style Democrats hold onto power indefinitely.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 11:12:48 PM »

This isn't accurate.

They were still Catholic, though. By the "demographic destiny" argument (curiously proposed by both the craziest of far-right Republicans and by a lot of Democrats), the Republicans should have been destroyed as a political force by the rise of Catholic immigrants long ago, yet they did just fine in the end.

Incidentally, if the Republicans fall apart in a big way, then the Democrats won't last much longer. The tensions between socialists and liberals, environmentalists and union members, working class white voters and immigrants, etc are only held at bay because of the threat of the Republicans. If the Republicans are crippled as a political force, some of those groups will either switch over to the Republicans (or whoever replaces them) or just create their own parties. There is no world in which Hillary-style Democrats hold onto power indefinitely.

Not really since the party doesn't have that many factions. It is split into two groups, moderates and liberals(the conservative wing is all but gone). What holds it together isn't the GOP, but pragmatism towards the progressive goals.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 12:04:46 AM »

Yeah, as much as I'd like to imagine the GOP being an irrelevent husk, this reliance on MUH DEMOGRAPHICS by Dems is laziness (as is the alternative hysteria from Republicans about PERMANENT DEMOCRAT IMMIGRANT MERICA). After all, wasn't long since ethnic white machines were like an powerful burgeoning bloc that fought against WASPy oppression.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 08:50:06 AM »

The idea that the GOP can't recover with Latinos strikes me as wishful thinking on the part of Dems.  In my view, a lot of it depends on whether the party adjusts to become more inclusive on issues that are important to many of them, like immigration reform. Kasich or Rubio could potentially do quite well with the Latino vote in 2020.

BOOM. Problem realized, but never solved.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »

The issue with Hispanic voters is immigration.  It's an issue because a significant number of Hispanics from Mexico and Central America living in the US have a friend or a family member who is illegally here.  The issue is personal in ways that are unique to today's immigrants.

It's also an issue that's not true for all Latinos.  Cuban-Americans are concerned about immigration as well, but we don't send illegal Cuban immigrants back to Cuba; this is 180 degrees from how we deal with Mexican and Central American immigrants.  It's why Cuban-Americans are, still, a Republican constituency. 

The tone of the discussion on the immigration issue has been offensive to many Hispanics, but the substance of the discussion should not be offensive to a Hispanic person who has become an American citizen and who has forsaken loyalty to any other nation.  The GOP is the party of enforcing existing laws, and the party that views amnesty for illegal aliens as an incentive for others to attempt to come here illegally.  The Democratic Party is the party of ignoring existing laws, and of granting amnesty to those who are here illegally.  I don't think that's an inaccurate statement of how the issue breaks down.  If I had family members here illegally, even cousins, I'd probably not want the existing laws to be enforced, but if I'm an American citizen, my expectation would be that our government enforce all of our laws without passion or prejudice.  I don't have respect for "leaders" who are unwilling to enforce existing laws, regardless of what they are.  We are either a nation of the Rule of Law, or we are not, and God help us if we are not.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies