December election schedule
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:05:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  December election schedule
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: December election schedule  (Read 214 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:34:15 PM »

Well it seems elections are starting (December 9th). Some candidates talked of next weekend or this weekend election, I found that a bit early but no date was mentioned then I learn it's like right now.

Has the schedule changed? Elections used to be the penultimate Friday of the month except in December when it was one week before to avoid holding it in the holiday season.

Holding the election the second Friday of December makes the term that is ending much shorter if people swear in the week after the election like the North assembly. I could be wrong about swearing in rules. When does the House swear in ? Soon after the election making the term much longer or the first Friday of January (the 6th) so having an election one month in advance??

There are five Fridays in December and December 16th would have been better and not caused that much of an imbalance.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »

I will try to answer my question.

I found an amendement that failed on November 14.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=249982.0

It would have made House members swear in the Friday after the election. So unless something changed after that, swearing in is the first Friday the month after the election (January 6). The election is held one month before that.

For the date, it is
You must be logged in to read this quote.

the way it is written, the second Friday, probably did not take into account five Fridays in a month because the week before the penultimate Friday would have been more appropriate (December 16). The goal is to avoid Christmas elections.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 04:19:16 PM »

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner.  You did good research.  That's pretty much how it works for the House races.  You can see the whole electoral act here.  Since that bill you posted failed, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been amended since then.  I could be wrong.  You might have noticed that the Senate elections are going on at the same time this month when they are usually the week before.  That's because those are determined by the three regional constitutions and it's also why Senators swear in immediately because they are not governed by the electoral act.  I think you're right that the way we have it for the House isn't ideal, what with having to wait almost a month to swear in and all.  Unfortunately the Senate didn't pass that amendment so we won't be able to fix it for this election.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:41:41 PM »

Thank you for helping me understand the situation.

and it's also why Senators swear in immediately because they are not governed by the electoral act.

The situation for Senators is a free for all. I don't see in the North constitution when the North Senator swear in / begins its term. I don't know how they determine when the outgoing Senator leaves and new one comes in. (mutual agreement?)

Since every region coukd be like that and they don't always hold Senate elections at the same time, all Senators terms don't start at the same time (if there is even a specified moment for swearing in).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies