SCOTUS-Watch: It's Gorsuch!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:30:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS-Watch: It's Gorsuch!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Author Topic: SCOTUS-Watch: It's Gorsuch!  (Read 27734 times)
Klartext89

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »

Obvious grain of salt, but the Rogue POTUS Staff account says Trump has finalized on Gorsuch.

Good, even though I still have some doubts that he won't turn into another Souter.

You said the same about Hardiman?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »

Robert Barnes ‏@scotusreporter  3m3 minutes ago
via @edatpost Trump invited senior Dem senators to WH tonight to meet his Supreme Court pick, but they declined the invite.

Pathetic.

They're just extending Trump's pick the same courtesies that Republicans extended to Merrick Garland.

Great, enjoy this taking up the next two years and everything else being handled by executive order! Especially the big, beautiful wall!

I have a feeling the federal judiciary is perfectly capable of telling Trump where his executive orders can go. And no executive order can magic up the money to pay for Trump's stupid wall.

Anyways, can you give me one good reason why Democrats shouldn't make Trump fight tooth and nail to eek out a Supreme Court confirmation after what Republicans did to Obama's pick?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2017, 04:05:56 PM »

Manchin says he will meet with Trump's SCOTUS pick.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2613513/
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2017, 04:08:04 PM »

Just remove the filibuster immediately without even trying, Mitch. This will be a waste of time otherwise. Democrats' votes shouldn't matter on this.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2017, 04:10:41 PM »

Just remove the filibuster immediately without even trying, Mitch. This will be a waste of time otherwise. Democrats' votes shouldn't matter on this.
We should dissolve Congress!
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »

I hope McConnell gets stripped of his leadership if he doesn't have the stones to remove the filibuster on sc nominees. I would hope there are enough republican senators to have a vote of no confidence on McConnell
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »

I hope McConnell gets stripped of his leadership if he doesn't have the stones to remove the filibuster on sc nominees. I would hope there are enough republican senators to have a vote of no confidence on McConnell
Don't count on it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2017, 04:17:20 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2017, 04:19:11 PM by Maxwell »

republicans don't care about anything but power, part 1738

on a purely filibuster issue, I'd be fine with removing the non-talking filibuster and forcing people to do the talking filibuster any time they want to filibuster.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »

That is not right either and Republicans could well be in the minority eventually.

The GOP did not win the popular vote for Presidency and Obama should have picked the replacement for Scalia's seat not Trump.

But needless to say I do not think this would be worth filibustering because it is essentially replacing a conservative with a conservative. A fight to replace Gingsburg would be more worth it.

Are you just saying who ever is in the minority party should just have no voice?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »

That is not right either and Republicans could well be in the minority eventually.

The GOP did not win the popular vote for Presidency and Obama should have picked the replacement for Scalia's seat not Trump.

But needless to say I do not think this would be worth filibustering because it is essentially replacing a conservative with a conservative. A fight to replace Gingsburg would be more worth it.

Are you just saying who ever is in the minority party should just have no voice?
A Kennedy vacancy would be worth it!
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2017, 04:27:25 PM »

The Senate was designed to be insulated from public opinion and not stomp on the minority!

The House was designed to be be the people's house.

I normally do not care in the year 2017 what some people in the late 1770s thought but I agree with them on the two above statements.

Preserve the filibuster but obviously do not abuse it.

And House districts should be required to make geographic sense and correspond to population requirements. That is it.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2017, 04:30:22 PM »

Oh and let me add this: I do not think if the founding fathers were alive today that they would design the Senate the way they did. Especially with the extremely dramatic population differences between the states now. I would think they design a senate in which every state gets a senator plus as many Senate districts as there are states. So half the Senate would represent the states and the other half would represent roughly population districts that could cross state lines.

The Senate should be designed for actual deliberation. Not stomping out the minority who are only the minority due to the stagger nature of the body.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »

A fight to replace Ginsburg would go the exact same way as this fight. They'd just deploy the nuclear option and approve Trump's nominee with a simple majority. Might as well fight them now.

If not, we're just ceding ground to the Republicans and delaying the inevitable.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »

During the confirmation hearings, will Republicans argue that Trump's nominee should be confirmed because the American people "decided" on him in the last presidential election? That's what they were arguing when they tried to block Garland.

If so, LOL.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2017, 04:34:14 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2017, 04:41:33 PM by Jimmie »

The thing about Supreme Court nominations is that it is impossible to know what issues and how justices will rule 20 years down the road.

Even Roberts has taken observers by surprise.

Obvious grain of salt, but the Rogue POTUS Staff account says Trump has finalized on Gorsuch.

Good, even though I still have some doubts that he won't turn into another Souter.

well yea I sorta agree.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »

During the confirmation hearings, will Republicans argue that Trump's nominee should be confirmed because the American people "decided" on him in the last presidential election? That's what they were arguing when they tried to block Garland.

If so, LOL.

Of course that will be their argument.

Donald Trump was chosen by the American people to lead this country, and Democrats should respect his right to appoint a Supreme Court Justice.

Democrats are being unreasonable for filibustering this completely qualified candidate for SCOTUS, and are setting a dangerous precedent.

Sound familiar?  
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2017, 04:46:53 PM »

Lol wtf

Jeff Zeleny @jeffzeleny
White House is setting up Supreme Court announcement as a prime-time contest: @JusticeGorsuch and @JusticeHardiman identical Twitter pages.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2017, 04:50:38 PM »

Lol wtf

Jeff Zeleny @jeffzeleny
White House is setting up Supreme Court announcement as a prime-time contest: @JusticeGorsuch and @JusticeHardiman identical Twitter pages.

You haven't noticed the countdown ticker on CNN?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2017, 04:53:59 PM »

I love the cinematic drama Trump has made of this announcement; he's brought both top contenders to DC, and assuming he picks one of them, will have kept us in suspense and eager anticipation until the very start of what traditionally has been a relatively mundane affair.
Klartext89

« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »

Republicans never filibustered a nominee (and at least Sotomajor would habe been worth it!) so why keeping it? Eventually, they always cave if they are in the minority...
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »

Republicans never filibustered a nominee (and at least Sotomajor would habe been worth it!) so why keeping it? Eventually, they always cave if they are in the minority...

For the record, the filibuster needs to go and be replaced with a talking filibuster. The Senate has a lot of things that slow down legislation already but essentially the Senate wouldn't become the House if the filibuster went. It has a lot of other things that make it still a "slowing down" gear of government.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2017, 05:07:57 PM »

Watch it be Gorsuch
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »

Get your bets in now.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »

It seems like it will be Gorsuch.  I just looked at the prediction market, and it's overwhelming for Gorsuch.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2017, 06:45:05 PM »

http://ijr.com/2017/01/790802-exclusive-president-trumps-supreme-court-pick-confirmed/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=ods&utm_term=ijamerica&utm_content=politics
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies