S4: Athiests are our friends act (failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:03:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S4: Athiests are our friends act (failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: S4: Athiests are our friends act (failed)  (Read 5743 times)
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2017, 11:51:34 PM »

Ben right now

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2017, 11:56:59 PM »

I'm enjoying the discussion, actually. Smiley

Just wish you had better arguments...
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2017, 12:00:52 AM »

Dude your whole argument is that 17 year olds are too stupid to understand evolution.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2017, 06:22:55 AM »

I'm willing to open the floor back up for debate to give Ben the chance to argue his reasoning for the bill and to allow for real discussion on the contents.

And just to throw this out again, are we sure we don't want to include stoning?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And I'm being thoroughly rebutted here..

JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »

And I'm being thoroughly rebutted here..

17 year olds are too stupid for evolution but 19 year olds aren't?
huh? really?
this is stupid
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »

As an educator, the question becomes, "what should our children be learning in biology class?"

Anatomy and physiology is a very broad, detailed and extensive class. It would also benefit students to spend more time on it, particularly those interested in pursuing a field in medical sciences.

If we take evolution out of the curriculum we can put more time in here. It's not about taking things away but using time effectively.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »

Explain the title of the bill.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »

What, you don't like atheists?

Atheists are our friends.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »

JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2017, 01:52:20 PM »

What, you don't like atheists?

Atheists are our friends.
poor attempt at trolling
kek
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »

Who's trolling?

Sheesh, Cuber. You're paranoid. Here I put out a bill that explicitly says "Atheists are our friends", and you call it trolling.

Couldn't I just be expressing that yes, I believe Atheists to be my friends??
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »

soooo does this mean Biblical punishment is not on the table?

SAD!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »

The way we got to now and our evolutionary process is central to biology... Anatomy is fine and good, but if you don't have the concept of how that anatomy plays into all living things, and the connections between all living creatures, it is not a full education on that subject. These issues and facts are all a part of each other.

I will say, on this issue, I find it almost insulting that there is a pushing of anti-evolutionist ideals towards a sole creationist agenda. My personal belief is that it was only through intelligent design that evolution could have been occurred, but how ever it was done, it is a fact, and it should be taught, not because it is just a fact, but because it is central to both our biological past, but also our future.
diptheriadan

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2017, 03:41:10 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2017, 03:47:48 PM by Dip The Riadan »

I'm sorry, but how is teaching evolution or that humans do climate change practical to the everyday lives of kids? I mean, we can and regularly do work around it.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »

I'm sorry, but how is teaching the beginning of anything practical to the everyday lives of kids? I mean, we can and regularly do work around it.
yeah so let's also stop teaching 8th and 9th graders algebra because it doesn't currently have much of a purpose in their everyday life... not like many jobs require knowledge of at least basic algebra.

Same with evolution.
diptheriadan

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2017, 03:50:39 PM »

I'm sorry, but how is teaching the beginning of anything practical to the everyday lives of kids? I mean, we can and regularly do work around it.
yeah so let's also stop teaching 8th and 9th graders algebra because it doesn't currently have much of a purpose in their everyday life... not like many jobs require knowledge of at least basic algebra.

Same with evolution.

Knowing evolution is not a requirement for "most" jobs. Besides, we already do teach evolution in school, it's just not specifically called evolution.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »

Same with evolution.

Knowing evolution is not a requirement for "most" jobs. Besides, we already do teach evolution in school, it's just not specifically called evolution.
Not an argument to ban teaching evolution
diptheriadan

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »

I'm not arguing for banning teaching evolution. I'm arguing that it doesn't matter since we already do, we just don't call it evolution specifically. It's the difference between saying that 2+2 is 4 and teaching kids how to add 2+2.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2017, 08:49:21 PM »

I'm not arguing for banning teaching evolution. I'm arguing that it doesn't matter since we already do, we just don't call it evolution specifically. It's the difference between saying that 2+2 is 4 and teaching kids how to add 2+2.
Evolution isn't like a math fact, it's a whole concept. Teach evolution, call it evolution, and teach WHY.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2017, 12:42:49 AM »

The problem is we don't have the facts as to how we got to now. We have theories, we have conjectures. But we also have some quite broad gaps. There are quite a few sections of the theory that we simply don't have an concrete evidence to prove that these things happened in this way.

We also don't even know the full structure of human evolution, let alone the evolution of other species. How do all the pieces fit together? We don't know. We make the hypothesis that there was a straight line from A to B to C, but again - we cannot prove that this is the path that things took.

It used to be that every dig was it's own species. Don't believe me? Look it up. We had a 'man' for every dig. It suggests to me that what we don't know about what actually happened with evolution is greater than the knowledge we do have.

Who is arguing for creationism to be taught in schools? It's not a scientific theory and does not belong in a biology class.

Again, there is very little in biology that requires the acceptance of the theory of evolution in order to understand. Much of the conjecture that certain features of our anatomy can be explained in this fashion have been quite laughably wrong. The problem is we don't have the evidence to support these conjectures, whereas we do have pretty good understanding of anatomy and physiology, how the body actually works. 
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2017, 12:45:55 AM »

Does evolution make testable predictions? Using math, I can make all sorts of predictions and have them be exactly correct.
diptheriadan

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2017, 05:29:43 AM »

Evolution isn't like a math fact, it's a whole concept. Teach evolution, call it evolution, and teach WHY.

*sigh* You didn't get my analogy. Alright. I'll try again. Imagine a world where saying that 2+2=4 is outlawed. It is hated. It is banned. If you say it, you will be lynched. As a teacher, you would want kids to know the truth of things, right? The truth is that 2+2=4, but you can't teach that 2+2=4. How do you get around this? Do you throw up your arms and give up or do you teach basic math. Obviously, you teach basic math. While you don't specifically say that 2+2=4, you do teach how to add two numbers.

It's no different in our world. The various concepts under the umbrella of evolution is banned and (somewhat) hated. Teachers work around this by just teaching what these concepts are. They don't do it in one big lesson or a series of lessons, but they do teach them. They just don't call it evolution.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2017, 06:51:12 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2017, 06:54:11 AM by Delegate JustinTimeCuber »

*sigh* You didn't get my analogy. Alright. I'll try again. Imagine a world where saying that 2+2=4 is outlawed. It is hated. It is banned. If you say it, you will be lynched. As a teacher, you would want kids to know the truth of things, right? The truth is that 2+2=4, but you can't teach that 2+2=4. How do you get around this? Do you throw up your arms and give up or do you teach basic math. Obviously, you teach basic math. While you don't specifically say that 2+2=4, you do teach how to add two numbers.

It's no different in our world. The various concepts under the umbrella of evolution is banned and (somewhat) hated. Teachers work around this by just teaching what these concepts are. They don't do it in one big lesson or a series of lessons, but they do teach them. They just don't call it evolution.
Okay, makes sense.

Does evolution make testable predictions? Using math, I can make all sorts of predictions and have them be exactly correct.
Evolution doesn't make exact predictions, no, but it importantly explains where we came from.

IF WE CAMED FROM MOMKIEZ, THEN WHYS THERE SILL MONNKEES??!?!

Also​, it appears to me that Ben needs to learn the definition of theory.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »

Diptheriadan, what would you conclude are the core concepts behind evolution that must be taught in a biology class?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies