US Plans to Give $2000 Debit Cards to Some "Evacuees"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:09:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  US Plans to Give $2000 Debit Cards to Some "Evacuees"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Plans to Give $2000 Debit Cards to Some "Evacuees"  (Read 1300 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:52:12 PM »
« edited: September 08, 2005, 03:00:34 PM by Storebought »

From the Gwinnett Daily Post

As hundreds of Hurricane Katrina evacuees received Red Cross debit cards in Lawrenceville on Wednesday, the federal government said it planned to hand out its own debit cards worth $2,000 each to families displaced by the storm.

I really, really don't like this idea, but Gov Frank Murkowski is on the right track:

“That’s a lot of money. The question is how do you separate the needy from those who just want a $2,000 handout,” he said.

If I were a legislator, from Louisiana no less, I'd veto this Great Society nonsense.

*I also read another line that stinks as well:

FEMA will use aerial photographs of devastated areas to verify that the refugees were, indeed, forced from their homes in cases where they cannot provide documents to prove their losses or identities.

Knowing that rural areas are far less photographed than cities, so that the extent of the devastation of the country areas are less obvious, this whole thing seems like a bribe to keep New Orleanians from suing the Federal Government.

Man, do I hate this idea.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 02:59:43 PM »

It's a nice concept.  "Here you go.  I know you can't buy a new house with it nor can you last two weeks in a hotel room, but at least you can buy gas and food."  They should call it the "get out of dodge" card.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 11:16:26 PM »

$2,000 per month would be a more reasonable amount.

Anyway, I wonder if one has to prove one was actually from N.O. to get one of those? Wink
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:29:17 AM »

$2000 isn't much for losing everything, including your job. Somehow I don't think it'd be appreachiated if tried getting the money and you weren't affected by the hurricane. In any case, there's the key word "some", which usually doesn't mean "all".
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 09:33:18 AM »

From the Gwinnett Daily Post

As hundreds of Hurricane Katrina evacuees received Red Cross debit cards in Lawrenceville on Wednesday, the federal government said it planned to hand out its own debit cards worth $2,000 each to families displaced by the storm.

I really, really don't like this idea, but Gov Frank Murkowski is on the right track:

“That’s a lot of money. The question is how do you separate the needy from those who just want a $2,000 handout,” he said.

If I were a legislator, from Louisiana no less, I'd veto this Great Society nonsense.

*I also read another line that stinks as well:

FEMA will use aerial photographs of devastated areas to verify that the refugees were, indeed, forced from their homes in cases where they cannot provide documents to prove their losses or identities.

Knowing that rural areas are far less photographed than cities, so that the extent of the devastation of the country areas are less obvious, this whole thing seems like a bribe to keep New Orleanians from suing the Federal Government.

Man, do I hate this idea.

Photographs of rural areas affected by the Hurricane where people were forced to evacuate. (Go to the bottom of the thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=27833.0 )

There has been talk about suing the federal government for using levee money to fund Iraq.

I consider the $2000 a tax refund. About time we get something for our tax dollars.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 10:16:43 AM »

Why the hell is Frank Murkowski butting into this?  He's about as far from Hurricane territory are one could possibly be.  And the state of Alaska hands hout $1500 each year to every one of its residents, so it's not like he can have some sort of principled objection.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 10:27:42 AM »

$2,000 isn't enough
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 12:46:42 PM »

The Bloomberg News Agency reports that now illegal migrants in LA, AL, and MS will get US disaster aid as well.

This is putrid.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 04:07:42 AM »

The Bloomberg News Agency reports that now illegal migrants in LA, AL, and MS will get US disaster aid as well.

This is putrid.

Why do you say that?  Your hate is rather pointless.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 04:20:19 AM »

Why the hell is Frank Murkowski butting into this?  He's about as far from Hurricane territory are one could possibly be.  And the state of Alaska hands hout $1500 each year to every one of its residents, so it's not like he can have some sort of principled objection.

He's afraid that next year's $231 million bridge to nowhere might not be funded.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies