What is Bernie's worst swing state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:16:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What is Bernie's worst swing state?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What is Bernie's worst swing state?  (Read 3673 times)
PoliticalJunkie23
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »

I think we've decided Florida would be worse swing state, but I also see him doing poorly in Nevada. I don't think the Hispanic population would be as likely to vote for him as they did for Hillary, and with a far left candidate like Sanders most moderates in Nevada who voted for Hillary would likely swing to Trump or a third party candidate. I might be going a little far with this one, but I can see Delaware being a potentially competitive state. He lost the primary by a huge margin and Delaware tends to favor moderate Democrats, and would be really turned off by Sanders.

Delaware has a sizable black population and turnout amongst them would probably fall even more with Bernie instead of Hillary on the ticket. That's also why I have a hard time buying the argument that Bernie would've done a lot better in the Rust Belt. Does Bernie really make up enough votes in the white working class counties to offset turnout issues in places like Detroit, Philadelphia, and Milwaukee?

Bernie had a really tough time connecting to African-American voters because he kept connecting racial inequality to economic inequality, and I can't imagine him changing his rhetoric in a general election for black voters.

Exactly. That's why I don't think Bernie would beat Trump like some people say. I feel like the white working class would still prefer Trump over him and he wouldn't stir up enthusiasm among minorities. This also isn't forgetting the moderates that voted for Clinton that would run to Trump if Bernie were the nominee.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2017, 02:40:39 PM »

I wanna slap big [Citation Needed] labels on every post saying black people would turn out less for Bernie than Hillary.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »

I think we've decided Florida would be worse swing state, but I also see him doing poorly in Nevada. I don't think the Hispanic population would be as likely to vote for him as they did for Hillary, and with a far left candidate like Sanders most moderates in Nevada who voted for Hillary would likely swing to Trump or a third party candidate. I might be going a little far with this one, but I can see Delaware being a potentially competitive state. He lost the primary by a huge margin and Delaware tends to favor moderate Democrats, and would be really turned off by Sanders.

Delaware has a sizable black population and turnout amongst them would probably fall even more with Bernie instead of Hillary on the ticket. That's also why I have a hard time buying the argument that Bernie would've done a lot better in the Rust Belt. Does Bernie really make up enough votes in the white working class counties to offset turnout issues in places like Detroit, Philadelphia, and Milwaukee?

Bernie had a really tough time connecting to African-American voters because he kept connecting racial inequality to economic inequality, and I can't imagine him changing his rhetoric in a general election for black voters.

Exactly. That's why I don't think Bernie would beat Trump like some people say. I feel like the white working class would still prefer Trump over him and he wouldn't stir up enthusiasm among minorities. This also isn't forgetting the moderates that voted for Clinton that would run to Trump if Bernie were the nominee.

Romney/Clinton voters? Sure barring a recession. Bush/Obama/Obama/Clinton voters? No
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2017, 04:11:39 PM by RFKFan68 »

I wanna slap big [Citation Needed] labels on every post saying black people would turn out less for Bernie than Hillary.
What evidence do you have to back up your claims? Hillary Clinton won 80 percent of the black vote in the primary and had the full throated endorsement of the first black president. She had strenuous efforts to get black people out in North Carolina and Florida. Black turnout still COLLAPSED with her as the flag bearer of the Democratic Party. Bernie would have done much worse as the nominee. There is nothing about Bernie as a candidate or his campaign that appealed to them during the primaries. Especially with a candidate who deemed racial issues as "identity politics" *insert eyeroll*, had no concrete plans for black entrepreneurship or historically black college and universities, and who called for the primary of the only president who managed to turn blacks out to vote at a higher rate than whites.

The deification of Bernie Sanders needs to stop.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies