Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:50:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Rabbi urges Jewish students at Columbia to leave campus  (Read 7006 times)
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: April 24, 2024, 11:32:30 PM »

These students should be suspended for 6 Months . It’s time to actually punish people responsible for shutting the university down and punish them hard .

If they are seniors , turns out they miss graduation this year

That's going to make them more inflamed and angry, and feed into the narrative that the establishment is hiding the truth about Israel and Gaza.

Who cares , let them be angry . People who shut down the university like this need to know they will be punished severely for their actions and frankly the national guard should be send in to break these “peaceful protests” up and arrest many of these jihadi loving scumbags

If colleges did the same thing to " right wing " protesters, you would cry foul. You know it. I know it.

When did right wing protestors shut down universities like this . Stop with the false equivalency.

These students should be suspended for 6 Months . It’s time to actually punish people responsible for shutting the university down and punish them hard .

That's going to make them more inflamed and angry, and feed into the narrative that the establishment is hiding the truth about Israel and Gaza.

Who cares , let them be angry . People who shut down the university like this need to know they will be punished severely for their actions and frankly the national guard should be send in to break these “peaceful protests” up and arrest many of these jihadi loving scumbags

If colleges did the same thing to " right wing " protesters, you would cry foul. You know it. I know it.

When did right wing protestors shut down universities like this . Stop with the false equivalency.

Uhhh, right wing protesters shut down a city and you supported them.

And shut down the literal counting of the electoral college votes 3 years ago.... I remember that clearly.

Yes and the Capitol rioters are correctly in prison . Amazing to see the whataboutism though.

Yes, but the Ottawa occupiers/terrorists who you supported were, with the exception of a handful of their leaders, all free to go.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #201 on: April 24, 2024, 11:33:51 PM »

Although I think for fall, if the Jewish students feel uncomfortable attending campus the universities should offer and allow them to take online classes so they can still get their education. This will allow both sides to learn without further fear of conflict escalation.

No one should be segregated out of class. Students should be able to tolerate each other and many need to grow a thicker skin.

Paul Kessler didn't need thicker skin, he needed a thicker skull to protect him from the brute who murdered him.

The path being laid out for Jewish students is clear - be silent, be afraid, and you'll be allowed to live in peace until you're not. Speak up and the mob will decide your fate. Needless to say, these terms are unacceptable.
What happened to Paul Kessler was horrible, and thankfully killer will face trial and justice soon. However, it seems to be an isolated incident compared to what is going on right now. No one at these protests at college campuses have been attacked let alone injured. Please do not fear monger. I agree that some of the protestors are indeed saying anti-semetic things, but no one has intent to hurt/kill Jewish students or their families. This type of disinfo only makes things worse.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #202 on: April 24, 2024, 11:37:17 PM »

Absolutely insane that they seriously do seem to be escalating towards the Kent State approach here. I already am not going to vote for Kathy Hochul again, but if she does send the National Guard to Columbia and the protesting students (unpleasant though I think many of them are) get hurt or worse, I might go so far as to canvass against her.

I mean, I get that Kent State was a horrific incident fifty years ago, but on the odds I'd much rather have the National Guard restoring order as opposed to local police in terms of unit discipline.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2024, 11:37:39 PM »

Absolutely insane that they seriously do seem to be escalating towards the Kent State approach here. I already am not going to vote for Kathy Hochul again, but if she does send the National Guard to Columbia and the protesting students (unpleasant though I think many of them are) get hurt or worse, I might go so far as to canvass against her.
The last six months have just been “how many people can make the worst possible decision for their cause?” over and over and over.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2024, 11:38:38 PM »

Although I think for fall, if the Jewish students feel uncomfortable attending campus the universities should offer and allow them to take online classes so they can still get their education. This will allow both sides to learn without further fear of conflict escalation.

No one should be segregated out of class. Students should be able to tolerate each other and many need to grow a thicker skin.

Paul Kessler didn't need thicker skin, he needed a thicker skull to protect him from the brute who murdered him.

The path being laid out for Jewish students is clear - be silent, be afraid, and you'll be allowed to live in peace until you're not. Speak up and the mob will decide your fate. Needless to say, these terms are unacceptable.
What happened to Paul Kessler was horrible, and thankfully killer will face trial and justice soon. However, it seems to be an isolated incident compared to what is going on right now. No one at these protests at college campuses have been attacked let alone injured. Please do not fear monger. I agree that some of the protestors are indeed saying anti-semetic things, but no one has intent to hurt/kill Jewish students or their families. This type of disinfo only makes things worse.

There have been dozens of assaults of Jewish counter-protestors at these rallies around the country over the last six months. That just happened to be the only fatal one.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2024, 11:39:28 PM »

It's getting out of hand. And, ironically, none of this helps the Palestinians.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2024, 11:45:21 PM »

I mean, I get that Kent State was a horrific incident fifty years ago, but on the odds I'd much rather have the National Guard restoring order as opposed to local police in terms of unit discipline.

Ugh, yes, I suppose that is the likeliest alternative here. I hope you're right.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #207 on: April 24, 2024, 11:48:34 PM »

The last six months have just been “how many people can make the worst possible decision for their cause?” over and over and over.

I keep on repeating this, but we need synodality. We need to listen to each other. Protests ( either side ), and respones to crack down on those protests, don't help. They don't help the Palestinians for that matter.

Pope Francis keeps on talking about that synodality; discerning, and listening. Young People need it. Young people have lost the art of listening. Maybe it's the social media. I don't know.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2024, 11:57:04 PM »

I agree with you but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen as they seem to be wanting the government and AIPAC to rescue them. However, I still don't think they should miss out on the education they paid for if they are too afraid to attend physically.

I'm afraid you're right, and that attitude, while it may feel like the safe route now, will probably only lead to more division down the road.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2024, 12:33:07 AM »

Trump calls Charlottesville 'peanuts' compared to Palestine campus protests, according to the NYT,

Former President Donald J. Trump on Wednesday played down the violence at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., in 2017 while portraying a recent wave of vocal but predominantly peaceful pro-Palestinian protests on college campuses as “riots.”

One woman was killed and nearly 40 people were injured when an avowed neo-Nazi plowed his car through a crowd of counterprotesters during violent clashes in Charlottesville. Earlier, hundreds of white supremacists had marched through the city, carrying torches and chanting, “Jews will not replace us.”

The current campus protests, while resulting in dozens of arrests, have had no reports of significant violence.

In a post on his social media site, peppered with random capitalization, Mr. Trump said: “Joe Biden would say, constantly, that he ran because of Charlottesville,” he wrote of the 2020 election. “Well, if that’s the case, he’s done a really terrible job because Charlottesville is like a ‘peanut’ compared to the riots and anti-Israel protests that are happening all over our Country, RIGHT NOW.”

Mr. Trump also repeated an attack on President Biden, saying that he “HATES Israel and Hates the Jewish people,” while adding “the problem is that he HATES the Palestinians even more, and he just doesn’t know what to do!?!?”

This is a very common thread on the Pro-Israeli side, that is excusing actual fascists and fascist sympathizers as long as they say the right things in the present moment.

The house GOP is a prime example in the charade they've been trying to make out of these protests.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2024, 01:08:45 AM »

Trump calls Charlottesville 'peanuts' compared to Palestine campus protests, according to the NYT,

Former President Donald J. Trump on Wednesday played down the violence at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., in 2017 while portraying a recent wave of vocal but predominantly peaceful pro-Palestinian protests on college campuses as “riots.”

One woman was killed and nearly 40 people were injured when an avowed neo-Nazi plowed his car through a crowd of counterprotesters during violent clashes in Charlottesville. Earlier, hundreds of white supremacists had marched through the city, carrying torches and chanting, “Jews will not replace us.”

The current campus protests, while resulting in dozens of arrests, have had no reports of significant violence.

In a post on his social media site, peppered with random capitalization, Mr. Trump said: “Joe Biden would say, constantly, that he ran because of Charlottesville,” he wrote of the 2020 election. “Well, if that’s the case, he’s done a really terrible job because Charlottesville is like a ‘peanut’ compared to the riots and anti-Israel protests that are happening all over our Country, RIGHT NOW.”

Mr. Trump also repeated an attack on President Biden, saying that he “HATES Israel and Hates the Jewish people,” while adding “the problem is that he HATES the Palestinians even more, and he just doesn’t know what to do!?!?”

This is a very common thread on the Pro-Israeli side, that is excusing actual fascists and fascist sympathizers as long as they say the right things in the present moment.

The house GOP is a prime example in the charade they've been trying to make out of these protests.
Conflating fascist creeps like trump with Jews horrified by the antisemitism endemic in the anti-Israel movement is every bit as disingenuous as conflating opposition to the leveling of Gaza with chanting terrorist slogans promoting the mass murder of Israeli civillians.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2024, 01:47:12 AM »

Conflating fascist creeps like trump with Jews horrified by the antisemitism endemic in the anti-Israel movement is every bit as disingenuous as conflating opposition to the leveling of Gaza with chanting terrorist slogans promoting the mass murder of Israeli civillians.

Jews =/= 'Pro-Israeli', the example I gave was literally the house GOP.

Your side seems determined to misunderstand and keep stating the same horrible comparisons you accuse us of making.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2024, 02:08:40 AM »

Your side seems determined to misunderstand and keep stating the same horrible comparisons you accuse us of making.
Your language, intentionally or not, implied that the entire pro-Israel side of this s**tshow was cool with fascists.

Also, just a tip, thinking in us vs them terms of "my side" and "the other side" is not a good idea. I'm not on either "team" here. Some people think both major camps in the Conflict are bad and/or misguided, like me, and even among staunchly pro-Palestine peeps there are many who can acknowledge that their "side" has a lot of antisemitism in its ranks.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2024, 02:10:16 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2024, 02:13:18 AM by No War, but the War on Christmas »

Your language, intentionally or not, implied that the entire pro-Israel side of this s**tshow was cool with fascists.

Also, just a tip, thinking in us vs them terms of "my side" and "the other side" is not a good idea. I'm not on either "team" here. Some people think both major camps in the Conflict are bad and/or misguided, like me, and even among staunchly pro-Palestine peeps there are many who can acknowledge that their "side" has a lot of antisemitism in its ranks.

I don't agree with you, I think that's just in your head tbh.

I do agree with your second point, and will leave it at that.

As an aside, and ofc ancedotally, all the most 'Pro-Israeli' people in my life are non-Jewish.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2024, 05:45:31 AM »

Clearly, these protests in California and New York won't help change the vote for Trump, but I believe these brainiacs are liquid gold for his chances of winning other states.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2024, 06:28:48 AM »

Clearly, these protests in California and New York won't help change the vote for Trump, but I believe these brainiacs are liquid gold for his chances of winning other states.

It’s going to be insane if Trump wins because Gen Z is furious about “Genocide Joe” and we end up with actual permanent expulsion from the Gaza Strip with U.S. support and Netanyahu founding a city of Trump Aviv on the ruins. Well played kids
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2024, 06:59:13 AM »

By that logic, everyone other than certain rich WASPs were historically disfavored.

I mean...yes?

Again, seems too broad a definition to me. While both Black Americans and Irish Americans were historically disfavored, it seems dishonest to classify those historical experiences under the same umbrella.

Putting two things under the same umbrella doesn’t mean that you are saying that they were equal. It is an objective fact that Black Americans and Irish Americans, both faced discrimination. nobody is saying that a history of slavery in Jim Crow segregation is comparable to a brief period of employment discrimination, but it’s an undeniable fact that both groups faced oppression by dominant group in America. Again, this is just the definition of the word.

A pickpocket and an armed bank robber are both thieves. Chickenpox and cancer are both diseases. Categorization does not imply equivalency.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2024, 07:06:01 AM »

A fairly obvious example, but segregationists did this pretty frequently — and made worse by the fact that it was mostly K-12 schools rather than universities
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2024, 07:29:02 AM »

Who cares , let them be angry . People who shut down the university like this need to know they will be punished severely for their actions and frankly the national guard should be send in to break these “peaceful protests” up and arrest many of these jihadi apologist scumbags

Is this what Trudeau should have done to the Freedom Convoy occupation that terrorized the citizens of Ottawa for weeks on end?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2024, 07:32:52 AM »

I have always thought - ever since a rapper came to campus and did a call and response of “anti-Zionism is not antisemitism” with us during my Woke Leftist alternative freshman orientation - that fighting antisemitism (and I don’t just mean internally) should be priority number two of the anti-Zionist movement. If we want to show that Jews are safe in the US and don’t need to move to a state with first- and second-class citizens (or worse, citizens and subjects), we need to actually make that happen. That’s why I tend to avoid pro-Palestine actions that aren’t by JVP or If Not Now or other Jewish groups.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #220 on: April 25, 2024, 08:39:27 AM »

The DNC is going to be a disaster isn't it
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #221 on: April 25, 2024, 08:48:59 AM »

The DNC is going to be a disaster isn't it

I have always been concerned about the academic left biting the progressive movement in the butt….
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #222 on: April 25, 2024, 09:57:15 AM »

A fairly obvious example, but segregationists did this pretty frequently — and made worse by the fact that it was mostly K-12 schools rather than universities

And Eisenhower was justified in sending the national guard
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2024, 11:05:56 AM »

Will these protests spill outside of college campuses and become full-fledged riots? Seems fitting as we are closing in on four years since the George Floyd protests.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #224 on: April 25, 2024, 02:44:11 PM »

Also, I think the crowd's reaction (or lack thereof) in this clip captures the feelings of 99% of people.

The person whose tweet you are posting is a Holocaust denier.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies