Biden's struggles with young voters have more to do with the economy than Israel/Palestine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:55:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Biden's struggles with young voters have more to do with the economy than Israel/Palestine
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden's struggles with young voters have more to do with the economy than Israel/Palestine  (Read 573 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2024, 12:22:45 AM »

Look at these different polls on the issues for young people:

Trump has such a massive lead on the economy that if there actually is a trend of young voters to Trump it would be because of that issue but even if you take this out and just look at young voters attitudes on the economy vs Israel/Palestine here's what you get

Only 9% of voters between the ages of 18-29 think the economy is Excellent or Good(its 9% not 8% due to rounding) while 59% of voters think its bad. So thats basically a -50 view on the economy by young voters.

For Israel Palestine on the other hand this is the result

The Result is -21 for Israel which is significantly less than their attitudes on the economy. Also as you can see far more young voters support Israel than think the economy is good/excellent and far less young voters support Palestine than think the economy is bad.

At the end of the day economic issues is why Biden is in as much trouble as he is and poll after poll is showing this.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/05/13/us/elections/times-siena-poll-registered-voter-crosstabs.html
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 01:28:23 AM »

That was never in question by looking at it seriously. The pro-Palestine protests are just a minority, even though the MSM pretends otherwise.

Just with minority voters, Biden's biggest challenge with young people isn't that they're flocking to Trump, but ensuring a good turnout.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 02:56:00 AM »

Just shows that people have zero understanding of macroeconomics.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 03:18:47 AM »

No matter why young voters are hesitant about Biden, I have the same curmudgeonly response tor them: would you really prefer Trump as the alternative?

Very true. It's a problem pervading all demographics.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 03:39:30 AM »

If Trumps wins, liberals saying sh**t like this will be a big part of the reason why.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 03:56:58 AM »

This is obviously true. Unfortunately the Enemy of the People think that a handful of over-educated communists are representative of young people at large (in much the same way they think that far-left Hispanic or black activist groups speak for Hispanics or blacks generally), despite polls consistently showing otherwise. You saw a lot of this in 2020 and apparently they have not learned their lesson.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 04:02:13 AM »

If Trumps wins, liberals saying sh**t like this will be a big part of the reason why.

I think one jfern is more than enough for this forum. No need for trying to become his mini-me.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2024, 04:24:01 AM »

I think one jfern is more than enough for this forum. No need for trying to become his mini-me.

I've been on this forum since 2006 expressing these types of opinions. If you think I'm actively trying to emulate anyone else, go kick rocks.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2024, 04:31:20 AM »

I've been on this forum since 2006 expressing these types of opinions. If you think I'm actively trying to emulate anyone else, go kick rocks.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say jfern?
I meant Snow Labrador.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2024, 04:33:45 AM »

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say jfern?
I meant Snow Labrador.

What a very intelligent response.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2024, 05:01:46 AM »

Doesn't make it any less true.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2024, 05:08:26 AM »

Doesn't make it any less true.

People answer these questions based on how they are doing in this economy on a personal level, not while looking at the stock market and pondering the larger macroeconomic picture. It's kind of odd to expect most regular working people to do that.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2024, 07:16:28 AM »

I think the OP is right if the thesis is true. Younger voters also have very little to nothing in 401K/IRA/Roth money so they are not benefitting from the current bull market. Older voters are happier with the economy relatively speaking because their 401k’s are making bank right now
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2024, 10:06:37 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2024, 10:18:06 AM by OSR stands with Israel »

No matter why young voters are hesitant about Biden, I have the same curmudgeonly response tor them: would you really prefer Trump as the alternative?

Very true. It's a problem pervading all demographics.

On the economy, you really don’t want to hear the answer to this question . Just look at the results for crosstabs on that particular issue
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2024, 10:21:51 AM »

This is obviously true. Unfortunately the Enemy of the People think that a handful of over-educated communists are representative of young people at large (in much the same way they think that far-left Hispanic or black activist groups speak for Hispanics or blacks generally), despite polls consistently showing otherwise. You saw a lot of this in 2020 and apparently they have not learned their lesson.

The problem is democratic strategists as well . Almost everyone they know in their bubble thinks the economy is great so to them it is inconceivable that could be the reason why they aren’t doing good in the polls . So when protests like this happen it’s not a surprise their reaction is “well Israel/Palestine must be the reason why we are doing so badly among young people” because they simply cannot acknowledge even to themselves that people think the economy is bad .

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2024, 12:28:58 PM »

I think there’s a pretty huge divide in young people between those 10-20% who go to college for something in math, Econ, medical, ect and become upper middle class and those who don’t and really struggle to start out, especially with increasingly high cost of things like home ownership and healthcare.

The people in the latter category are also more likely to fall into social media rabbit holes that distorts the view of what it means to be financially stable - they are constantly shown people in these big mansions with fancy sports cars and so their perspective becomes more warped and they feel like they’re doing economically terrible - more so than they might otherwise believe.

So many people in my age cohort seem to have this belief that back in the 60s, almost anyone could just buy a massive 6 bedroom McMansion at the age of 30 when that was never remotely close to the norm. Home ownership has always been accessible and back in the day was closed off to large segments of the population because of racism. Additionally the average home has gotten larger as the average household has gotten smaller creating more of a problem - I think this is really overlooked confounding variable.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2024, 12:36:11 PM »

I find it amusing that the MSM want this to be such a big issue. I noticed lately that Biden's polling in Michigan is a little better than other swing states.. all after the "primary" showed no intense drop off and showed that the MUSLIM vote is way overstated in Michigan lmaaooo.

The media just wants to create a narrative.

Ukraine (good) Vs. Russia (evil) is good versus pure evil.

Israel Vs. Palestine is like choosing between venomous snakes and venomous lizards.

Newsflash: the economy is just fine. We can sustain 3 to 4% inflation.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2024, 02:48:10 PM »

I also think Trump's polling is inflated by disillusioned young voters who are voicing their disapproval of Biden by threatening to vote for Trump, but in the end likely stay home or vote third party.
Duke of York

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2024, 02:54:54 PM »

I also think Trump's polling is inflated by disillusioned young voters who are voicing their disapproval of Biden by threatening to vote for Trump, but in the end likely stay home or vote third party.

and how does not voting or voting third party help anything by electing Trump? They aren't going to like when he does things like arresting sanctuary city mayors.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2024, 03:12:52 PM »

^^^. But keep insulting the intelligence of non-Biden voters, BlueSwan. Surely none of us are Economics or Finance professionals or grad students. We’re all just dumb, stupid hillbillies; just like 2016.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2024, 03:14:23 PM »

and how does not voting or voting third party help anything by electing Trump? They aren't going to like when he does things like arresting sanctuary city mayors.

It doesn't help but it's doesn't have the same impact as an actual vote for Trump.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2024, 03:19:22 PM »

Do you have to "understand macroeconomics" to know that everything is more expensive now than it was 4 years ago?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2024, 03:22:09 PM »

There hasn't been any stimulus checks except child tax credits and younger and disabled voters don't have kids, so from that standpoint there hasn't been that much incentive to vote except Trump wants to giving tax cuts to oil Corporation
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2024, 03:28:39 PM »

Do you have to "understand macroeconomics" to know that everything is more expensive now than it was 4 years ago?

As opposed to four years ago when everything was cheaper than eight years ago?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2024, 12:52:37 AM »

^^^. But keep insulting the intelligence of non-Biden voters, BlueSwan. Surely none of us are Economics or Finance professionals or grad students. We’re all just dumb, stupid hillbillies; just like 2016.
This would be relevant if I suggested that the democrats messaging should focus on telling voters that they are stupid if they don't understand macro economics.

I doubt a lot of low propensity voters are browsing Atlas forums.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies