MSNBC under fire from Clinton Campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:36:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  MSNBC under fire from Clinton Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MSNBC under fire from Clinton Campaign  (Read 2127 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 11:46:44 AM »

The entire Clinton campaign, since January 4th, has been a non-stop touting of her "victim" status, in a disgusting ploy to get females to vote her.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »

The entire Clinton campaign, since January 4th, has been a non-stop touting of her "victim" status, in a disgusting ploy to get females to vote her.

So it's okay for the media to say that Obama was "pimping out" Michelle, when she goes out to speak, right? Roll Eyes
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 12:17:04 PM »

Why do they have to bring the candidates' kids into this?  Just focus on the people actually running for the office rather than their families who'll likely have nothing to do with how policy would be made under a hypothetical administration.  This should never even have been a topic for discussion in the media.

You don't hear talk about Obama's daughters, why should we hear talk about Hillary's?

And for the record, it is true that NBC reporters in the past have made statements to show a clear Obama bias.  I don't feel that this Chelsea thing was meant to work to Obama's favor, I think it was just an idiotic thing to bring up and an obvious mistake, but their employees have made their Obama bias known.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 01:44:05 PM »

Why do they have to bring the candidates' kids into this?  Just focus on the people actually running for the office rather than their families who'll likely have nothing to do with how policy would be made under a hypothetical administration.  This should never even have been a topic for discussion in the media.

You don't hear talk about Obama's daughters, why should we hear talk about Hillary's?

And for the record, it is true that NBC reporters in the past have made statements to show a clear Obama bias.  I don't feel that this Chelsea thing was meant to work to Obama's favor, I think it was just an idiotic thing to bring up and an obvious mistake, but their employees have made their Obama bias known.

Obama has talked about his daughters, but they are quite young and not campaigning.

I would not have used that term, on air at least.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 01:46:29 PM »

The comments had no place in professional journalism and certainly are biased.   I think part of it is generational though.  Being a "pimp" or "pimping" is not necessarily a bad connotation anymore.  I think it was more of a bad joke than trying to defame the Clintons.  

Still it had NO PLACE in journalism.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »

I haven't heard that Malia is robocalling voers or campaigning for her father with superdelegates...

Chelsea has politicised herself. Probably at the request of her parents. 'Pimping ut' may be a bit hash, but it is also not entirely false.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 02:33:03 PM »

I haven't heard that Malia is robocalling voers or campaigning for her father with superdelegates...

Chelsea has politicised herself. Probably at the request of her parents. 'Pimping ut' may be a bit hash, but it is also not entirely false.

Hi Hugh!!!  Smiley  I've missed talking to you!

And you're right, she is out there, so is Bill, so they are relevant.  I guess I just don't see why it matters to the media though.  They should be focusing on the candidate, not the family of the candidate.  I understand the focus on Bill.  He's a former president, for one, but he's also said some pretty stupid things.  But Chelsea hasn't done anything...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 02:38:53 PM »

Hey Clay, what's news?

Chelsea is politicised and a factor in her mother's campaign. She's been pressing palms and stumping on stages, calling voters and superdelegates, and spreading the word for her mother.

She is valid political meat, because of her actions. That said, pimping out might be a bit harsh.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 02:42:50 PM »

Oh, nothing, nothing at all.  Just work and...work.

I did make a facebook page today, for the first time ever, and I have 1 friend.  So that's new, I guess.  Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »

Oh, nothing, nothing at all.  Just work and...work.

I did make a facebook page today, for the first time ever, and I have 1 friend.  So that's new, I guess.  Smiley

Added.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »

Yeah, the anchor should be forced to apologize; he really shouldn't have said that. However, Clinton is taking it a bit too far and is obviously refusing to participate in further MSNBC debates due to its bias against her.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 04:15:15 PM »

The comments had no place in professional journalism and certainly are biased.   I think part of it is generational though.  Being a "pimp" or "pimping" is not necessarily a bad connotation anymore.  I think it was more of a bad joke than trying to defame the Clintons. 

Still it had NO PLACE in journalism.

He was performing in the role of commentator of that point. He was guest hosting a talk show. So it wasn't *in* journalism.

I saw the comments live. I thought nothing of it. The guests thought nothing of it (just disagreed with his point). This whole thing is absurd. No one with half a brain would think there was sexual innuendo in what he said. That word is commonly used among younger folks in a  variety of contexts.

Chelsea is actively campaigning for her mom and has therefore made herself fair game.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2008, 04:22:39 PM »

MSNBC = FF

Hillary should quit whining and just shut the f**k up. Shut up you worthless bitch.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2008, 04:24:30 PM »

LOL, Hillary seems to think FAUX is better than MSNBC.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2008, 05:02:52 PM »

MSNBC = FF

Hillary should quit whining and just shut the f**k up. Shut up you worthless bitch.

So it's ok for me to ask what corner is Michelle Obama standing on this weekend?  Roll Eyes

I don't blame the Clinton's for being upset by the remark.  It shouldn't have been phrased that way.

And I'd be just as critical if someone made a remark about Michelle Obama like that.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2008, 05:24:40 PM »

I don't blame the Clinton's for being upset by the remark.  It shouldn't have been phrased that way.

And I'd be just as critical if someone made a remark about Michelle Obama like that.

But why and why? It was completely harmless.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2008, 05:35:57 PM »

I really don't think that either is appropriate from a commentator on television.  You are basically implying that Michelle and Chelsea are prostitutes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2008, 05:40:54 PM »

I really don't think that either is appropriate from a commentator on television.  You are basically implying that Michelle and Chelsea are prostitutes.

The second definition of the verb "to pimp" on Dictionary.com is "to exploit".  I think it's fairly obvious that this is what the MSNBC commentator meant.

It's a mildly offensive and obviously dumb thing to say, but I really can't help but feel that the Clinton campaign is doing her usual feigned outraged politician thing for political points, as usual.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2008, 06:11:46 PM »

Politico has the transcript of an amusing email exchange between David Shuster and the Clinton campaign:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8408_Page2.html
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »

As I said before, this word is used quite casually with the younger folk. The context often has nothing to do with sex or prostitution. It was clear to me his intent (I was watching it live). I thought nothing of it till everyone flipped out the next day. It's not an inherently offensive word and the context was not offensive.

The Clintons are using it for political gain. Steve Kappus is worried about ratings. And David Shuster has to suffer.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2008, 06:53:40 PM »

Hillary now wants Shuster fired for his ill-advised remarks. This is more proof that the conniving Clintons  are willing to personally destroy anyone they view to be an adversaries. Shuster had apologized and been reprimanded by  MSNBC. Does he desderve to be fired one verbal missteps?

Why is Hillary unwilling to forgive Shuster, but is willing to forgive and drink with John McCain, who said Chelsea's father was Janet Reno? This is further proof that Hillary is milking this story for political points. Truly disgusting...
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2008, 08:44:46 PM »

I highly doubt they will fire Shuster. Another anchor, maybe. The suspension was a compromise. He's too valuable as a reporter, regardless of what people may think of him as a commentator.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »

Obama has talked about his daughters, but they are quite young and not campaigning.

I would not have used that term, on air at least.

True....but David Shuster is crude, rude and unrefined.  He hates everyone in the GOP big time and I really don't think he's a Hillary hater at all like Olberman.   He's just an idiot.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies