Cannabis '15: The Long Wait Until 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:36:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cannabis '15: The Long Wait Until 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Cannabis '15: The Long Wait Until 2016  (Read 49688 times)
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2012, 03:55:10 PM »

States trying to legalize marijuana need to add additional laws allowing state troopers/police to arrest federal agents attempting to enforce marijuana laws. I think Wyoming has laws like that for gun control, and it works pretty well.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2012, 05:07:23 AM »

Congratulations to Washington, Colorado, and to a lesser extent, Massachusetts.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »

So pot legalization failed by only two points in El Paso County (Colorado Springs). Looks like lots of conservative evangelicals are starting to take the Pat Robertson position on this issue after all.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »

Eric Holder declares war on these two states in 5...4..3... Tongue

Victory! Cheesy
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2012, 12:59:03 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2012, 01:02:28 AM »

So pot legalization failed by only two points in El Paso County (Colorado Springs). Looks like lots of conservative evangelicals are starting to take the Pat Robertson position on this issue after all.

Hell, medical marijuana only failed 49-51 in Arkansas.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2012, 01:05:23 AM »

Hell, medical marijuana only failed 49-51 in Arkansas.
That was the worst result of the night. Sad
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2012, 01:08:07 AM »

My apologies for having to live in Arkansas.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »

My apologies for having to live in Arkansas.
It performed better than what the polls were showing. I'm sure it will have its day on the ballot again soon. The Christian groups and right wing doctors who were campaigning against it are probably pissing themselves about how close it was.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »

Will we see more states in the future legalize marijuana to the point the Feds make it completely legal?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »

Will we see more states in the future legalize marijuana to the point the Feds make it completely legal?
Yeah, I think this is the way it'll have to go. There will eventually just be too much pressure over raids/crackdowns in so many states where it's legal that it will become a serious point of complaint and disapproval for whatever President finally has to let it go.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2012, 07:09:37 PM »

Almost certainly, major politicians in the Democratic Party will start taking the "moderate hero" stand of letting marijuana law be a state's rights issue. And it may be happening soon. Opposition to marijuana is, as they say, is a mile wide but an inch deep. I expect to see a large number of Obama states move to legalize in the next few years via referendum.

Does anyone expect President-elect Obama to wage a full-scale war on Democratic-leaning voters in a 2016 swing state?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »

I'm kind of annoyed Colorado had to legalize it, too. I wanted Washington to be the only state!

Colorado is more centrally located and already a tourist destination. We won't be able to compete. Sad
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »

I'm kind of annoyed Colorado had to legalize it, too. I wanted Washington to be the only state!

Colorado is more centrally located and already a tourist destination. We won't be able to compete. Sad

From what I hear, Washington's law will go into effect about a year before Colorado's will. That kind of head start means you'll be more than able to compete.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »

From what I hear, Washington's law will go into effect about a year before Colorado's will. That kind of head start means you'll be more than able to compete.

Yay! Ours goes into effect on December 6th. Smiley

I wonder what how high attendance will be at Hempfest next year. No pun intended.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2012, 08:06:19 PM »

Although it will actually be a year before we have stores. Sad
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2012, 02:14:29 AM »

I wouldn't have supported the Washington initiative. The idea that a driver can be forced to undergo a blood test and be penalized for something they may have smoked ages ago is terrifying.
cwt

« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »

I wouldn't have supported the Washington initiative. The idea that a driver can be forced to undergo a blood test and be penalized for something they may have smoked ages ago is terrifying.

I agree it's less than ideal, but they can't test you without probable cause. So as long as you aren't driving erratically with a car reeking of weed you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »

Also a blood test is much better than a urine test and the level needed to prove intoxication is fairly high. Although it could wrongly convict some people who have high tolerance.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2012, 08:19:07 AM »

Any word from the Feds about these initiatives?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »

Basically the DEA just said "Well...uhm....federal law hasn't changed, so......"
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2012, 09:44:06 AM »

yes it sucks but had to be done, it was in response to one of the main things that sunk the Cali initiative.  this stuff is about moving the goalposts
Link
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »

States trying to legalize marijuana need to add additional laws allowing state troopers/police to arrest federal agents attempting to enforce marijuana laws. I think Wyoming has laws like that for gun control, and it works pretty well.

Do you have any evidence to support this claim or are you just talking nonsense?  My understanding of the Wyoming law is it pertains to guns that are 100% made in Wyoming and that never leave the state.  Wyoming barely has any people.  The number of Wyoming gun owners is a fraction of that.  And the number of Wyoming gun owners that own 100% Wyoming made guns is smaller still.  Now of those people how many of them have never taken their Wyoming gun out of state?  And finally of that infinitesimally small number how many have the time or inclination to risk everything to test federal law just to prove a point?

Do you have case law to back up your assertion?  Has there been a precipitous drop in Federal arrests since the law passed?  What are you basing your assessment on?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »

I agree it's less than ideal, but they can't test you without probable cause. So as long as you aren't driving erratically with a car reeking of weed you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

around these parts that hair alone would make probable cause
when you're driving through my county you'll obey my earthly laws
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »

Since when has probable cause been anything like a surefire safeguard in the War on Drugs?  Do people seriously not see being forced to have your blood tested by the police as an invasion of privacy? If that's not, I don't know what is. It's just not worth it. 
Thankfully the Supreme Court is taking up this issue in the context of warrantless blood tests for alcohol, where there is a good chance it will be struck down.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies