Tasmanian state election - 3rd March 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:00:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Tasmanian state election - 3rd March 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Tasmanian state election - 3rd March 2018  (Read 6358 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2018, 08:33:17 PM »

I figured that with the election but a week and a half away I should probably start up a thread specifically for the Tassie election, at least so I don't clog up the Aussie general discussion thread with 5 minutely election night updates.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2018, 08:47:34 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

So firstly Tasmania.

Tasmania uses Hare-Clark STV using the 5 federal divisions as electorates, with 5 members elected form each, resulting in 25 total members of the House of Assembly.

Braddon
Looking at a map you might think that Braddon is based on Tasmania's west coast, but you'd be wrong. The rugged, near-impenetrable wilderness of Tasmania's west coast is almost completely uninhabited. The population is centred on the Northwest coast, concentrated in Devonport and Burnie.
The Liberals will lose their fourth seat. Full Stop. The two questions are; firstly whether the Liberals lose their third seat, in which case Labor gain one and Lambie gains one, and more importantly, given that if the Liberals maintain 3 seats in any electorate, it'll be here, is who gains that fourth Liberal seat.
On balance I can't really see the Liberals dropping to two seats, so the important question is whether Lambie or Labor win that fourth seat. I have no idea, though when pushed I'd lean Labor.
2-3 LIB
1-2 LAB
0-1 JLN
2 Vulnerable seats:
Fourth Liberal seat - Prediction: Labor Gain
Third Liberal seat - Prediction: Liberal Hold

Bass
Bass is squarely centred on Tasmania's second city, Launceston. It also stretches to include the East Bank of the Tamar and the North East Coast.
Two seats are vulnerable, the third Liberal seat and the Greens seat, both to Labor. The question is if Labor can increase their vote enough for a second seat, and if they can then who do they take it from, the Liberals or the Greens.
2-3 LIB
1-2 LAB
0-1 GRN
2 Vulnerable seats:
Third Liberal seat - Prediction: Labor Gain
Green seat - Prediction: Greens Hold

Lyons
Lyons is a classic example of a bits-leftover electorate, containing many different regions that don't logically fit elsewhere. Spanning Tasmania's picturesque East Coast, the agricultural heartland of the Midlands, the West Bank of the Tamar, the northern suburbs of Hobart, the outskirts of Launceston and Devonport and all points in-between.
The vulnerable seat is the third Liberal seat. Though, in my opinion, slightly less vulnerable than their third seat in Franklin, by virtue of the reduced greens vote, it's still rather vulnerable. Unlike Franklin however, the seat is vulnerable to both Labor and the Greens. Although the Greens will improve I can't see them beat Labor and the Liberals to take the third seat.
2-3 LIB
2-3 LAB
0-1 GRN
1 Vulnerable seat:

Franklin
Franklin spans Hobart's suburbs and outskirts, stretching to include Tasmania's uninhabited South West Wilderness.
The vulnerable seat is the Third Liberal seat. The Liberals where extremely lucky to get a third seat here in 2014, and this is probably their second most vulnerable seat behind their fourth in Braddon. I think Labor is definitely favoured to pick up a second seat. The greens seat isn't especially safe, but neither is it vulnerable.
2-3 LIB
1-2 LAB
1 GRN
1 Vulnerable seat:

Denison
Denison contains Hobart's quaint CBD and inner suburbs.
The only vulnerable seat is the second Liberal seat to Labor, though if Labor picks it up then then they're almost certainly got more seats than the Liberals.
2-3 LAB
1-2 LIB
1 GRN
1 Vulnerable seat:
Second Liberal seat - Prediction: Liberal Hold

Total Results

9-11-14 LIB (-1-4-6)
7-11-12 LAB (+0-4-5)
2-3-4 GRN (-1/+0-1)
0-1 JLN (+0-1)
Some of my thoughts, if I get time I'll go through the five seats individually, though I don't know if I'll get time, what with profiling each and every one of the 47 SA electorates ahead of their ekection.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 08:46:46 PM »

An important thing to keep in mind is that if the Greens do hold the balance of power they're not certain to go with Labor. The Tassie Greens can be traced back to the 1972 founding of the United Tasmania Group, the widely accepted first green/environmentalist party in the world. They took off during the Lake Pedder/Franklin Dam debacle and haven't looked back since. Because they're so (relatively) old the party isn't as ideological. Their policy centres around the environment, and aren't that left-wing. They supported Tony Rundle's Liberal government form '96 to '98, which collapsed, however their first government with Labor fell apart a year short (the Labor–Green Accord after '89). If the Libs are by far the largest party, or they get 12 seats, just one short of a majority, their is a good chance that the Greens will back Hodgman.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »

2 new polls indicate that there's a good chance of the Libs holding onto their Majority.
ReachTEL for The Mercury LIB:46 LAB:31 GRN:12
ERMS LIB:46 LAB:34 GRN:12
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 09:59:36 PM »

On the odds I'd say it's 50/50 whether or not the Liberals maintain the majority. Labor will not get a majority, the greens will not gain net seats. I'd say it's 2-1 in favour of the greens losing net seats.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 10:07:49 PM »

My Current Prediction:
LIB - 13 (-2)
LAB - 10 (+3)
GRN - 2 (-1)

With the changing seats being
Bass GRN -1 to LAB
Braddon LIB -1 to LAB
Franklin LIB -1 to LAB
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 10:40:06 PM »

Just incase anyone needs a reference point here is the electorate map
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 11:29:10 PM »

Interesting. So in Tasmania they use multi-member constituencies?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 11:41:40 PM »

Yep! They adopted Hare-Clark STV in 1909, and haven't turned back since.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 05:39:39 AM »

Pokies, pokies, pokies.

"Disgusting granny-raping machines" quipped David Walsh, who donated $250,000 to the anti-pokies cause.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/mar/01/monas-david-walsh-donates-250000-to-tasmanias-anti-pokies-movement

Ironic after he made his fortune from online gambling.

I hope the pokies are removed.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.47

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 02:33:04 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2018, 02:36:22 AM by Fmr. Lincoln Gov. Lok »

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/tasmanian-election-liberal-plan-to-ease-gun-laws-revealed-on-poll-eve-20180302-p4z2hn.html?platform=hootsuite

Hodgman and Co. have shot themselves in the foot here. The problem people will have here isn't the laws, it'll be the fact that the Liberals tried to sneak it and hide it away from the electorate, which has massively backfired.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.47

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 06:19:01 AM »

Also, in a country which is massively pro-choice, the Tasmanian Libs want to make getting an Abortion harder in Tasmania.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »

2 new polls indicate that there's a good chance of the Libs holding onto their Majority.
ReachTEL for The Mercury LIB:46 LAB:31 GRN:12
ERMS LIB:46 LAB:34 GRN:12

Tasmanian polling, as a general rule, is worse than useless.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »

Yes, the same as used for the single member federal divisions. However, for the upper chamber they have single member constituencies. I.e. the complete opposite of the pattern in every other Australian state other than Queensland (which o/c is unicameral).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 03:45:57 PM »

An important thing to keep in mind is that if the Greens do hold the balance of power they're not certain to go with Labor. The Tassie Greens can be traced back to the 1972 founding of the United Tasmania Group, the widely accepted first green/environmentalist party in the world. They took off during the Lake Pedder/Franklin Dam debacle and haven't looked back since. Because they're so (relatively) old the party isn't as ideological. Their policy centres around the environment, and aren't that left-wing. They supported Tony Rundle's Liberal government form '96 to '98, which collapsed, however their first government with Labor fell apart a year short (the Labor–Green Accord after '89). If the Libs are by far the largest party, or they get 12 seats, just one short of a majority, their is a good chance that the Greens will back Hodgman.

The issue is more that there's a large element in Tassie Labor that hate them.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »

The issue is more that there's a large element in Tassie Labor that hate them.
And likewise in the Greens, look at how the Labor-Greens accord fell apart. Labor gets big donations from the Forestry unions, and draws significant support from the Lumber industry.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 12:37:54 AM »

It's election day!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 02:01:00 AM »

Here we go!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 02:01:54 AM »

Oh god, the ABC had Eric Abetz representing the Libs on the panel.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 02:03:00 AM »

And polls are closed!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 02:08:25 AM »

The seat to watch is Lyons, because the 3rd Liberal in Lyons is the Liberals 13th seat.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 02:18:08 AM »

Latest Jacqui Lambie: Right off the bat, one minute into her interview with the ABC she's already said cr#p twice.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 02:28:30 AM »

Particularly slow counting this time round, normally you have a few tiny Lyons booths reporting by quarter past, however absolutely nothing in by half past this time round.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 02:39:20 AM »

We have our first results from Bass!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 02:40:48 AM »

We now have the first booths from Braddon and Lyons!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies