SENATE BILL: End to Imperialism Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:27:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: End to Imperialism Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: End to Imperialism Act (Law'd)  (Read 14752 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »

I think we should call this to a vote ASAP... there is no reason to amend it into something that is nothing like the original bill.

With the 90 day time frame, I will support it.  Let's have our combat troops home to take their kids trick-or-treating.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »

I will make these minor tweaks then. I want to see a final vote to determine where the Senate stands.

Amendment

Funding for combat troops in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Libya shall no longer be authorized by this Senate effective 90 days following passage.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »

If this Bill passes as is proposed - it will not receive White House support.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2011, 10:55:13 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senators have 24 hours to object to the sponsor originated Amendment
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »

I think we should call this to a vote ASAP... there is no reason to amend it into something that is nothing like the original bill.

With the 90 day time frame, I will support it.  Let's have our combat troops home to take their kids trick-or-treating.

^^^^
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »

Final vote time I guess.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »

Final votes are out of order when an amendment is under consideration.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2011, 03:13:14 PM »

I object on the grounds that combat troops in Libya were never authorized by the Senate in the first place, so "no longer authorized" is inaccurate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »

I object on the grounds that combat troops in Libya were never authorized by the Senate in the first place, so "no longer authorized" is inaccurate.

I tried searching on the wiki and could not find it. Last night I asked the Presidential about this but he hasn't yet responses.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2011, 03:43:38 PM »

You may be thinking of Senator Rowan's "Protect Libya Citizens Act," which was tabled. So I think Shua is correct when he says the Senate never authorized action in Libya. You may be thinking of the SoEA's actions? (link: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=133144.msg2862561#msg2862561)
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2011, 04:47:01 AM »

I tried searching on the wiki and could not find it. Last night I asked the Presidential about this but he hasn't yet responses.

I did say that I was unavailable over the weekend... I would like some advice on this matter.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »

I did say that I was unavailable over the weekend... I would like some advice on this matter.

True enough we can resume when you return.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2011, 01:02:25 PM by senator shua »

Wait, what is it that's the contention about what I said? It's clear the Senate never authorized any action in Libya. The previous and current administration have been acting without any Senate authorization or consultation. There's never been any question that's what they've been doing.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2011, 01:06:40 PM »

How is it legal if that is true?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2011, 04:19:19 PM »

It's not.  Perhaps we should drag the SoEA in here to explain.  If he is engaging in unauthorized activities, he should stop immediately.  If the president acts to try and authorize such activity, I'd recommend we defund any such activities ASAP.  If he wants to pay for it with milk and honey and unicorn jizz, he can go ahead and try.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »

The President, in his role as Commander-in-Chief, authorized Atlasian troops to be part of NATO operations in Libya several months ago.  The Atlasian troops in Libya now are NATO soldiers; this is not an Atlasian military expedition.  The Senate, by keeping Atlasia in NATO, has acquiesced to Atlasian troops being used in NATO military ventures.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »

I was told these aren't troops but civilians.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2011, 05:40:29 PM »

You misread what I said - I said that I changed the mission from a military combat one to one of civilian protection and military intelligence and logistical support.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »

You misread what I said - I said that I changed the mission from a military combat one to one of civilian protection and military intelligence and logistical support.

What's to stop the senate from reducing any funds given to NATO in order to make it impossible to keep sending Atlasian troops to Libya under the guise of international cooperation?

This bill has gone nowhere in days.  I'm tempted to call it to a vote, but I think I'll let Napoleon do that.

Keep in mind that if the bill passes as written and your veto is overridden, all troops from Libya will have to be withdrawn because no funding will be in place for them... even if it is first appropriated to NATO.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »

I have offered Napoleon what I think is a fair compromise - but he has not made those details public yet.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2011, 08:31:41 PM »

I have offered Napoleon what I think is a fair compromise - but he has not made those details public yet.
Well, I'd hope he makes them public ASAP.  As I already said, I won't support something that is too watered down and promotes further warmongering.

The bill as it stands now would pass the senate.  With minor changes, we would override your veto.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »

As I said - I respect the right of the Senate to make these determinations - but I believe anything too precipitous would be a mistake.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »

I have not decided how to proceed as of now. I am weighing a few options
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »

As I said - I respect the right of the Senate to make these determinations - but I believe anything too precipitous would be a mistake.
A mistake?  Afghanistan will be an endless moneypit for eternity due almost completely to geography.  We will never "win" there by employing force.  Afghanistan should really be split into several small semi-autonomous regions that are self governing.  But that won't be accomplished with Atlasian money or Atlasian troops.

We are more than ready to withdraw from Iraq.  I believe they can sustain democracy.. though they, too, should probably be divided into 3 semi-autonomous regions with self government.  The religious and cultural divides among the people there are too rigid to force them together under a weak democratic government.  By leaving the bulk of the decisions to regional governments elected by like minded people, things will run much more smoothly.

As far as Libya goes... just because the international community agrees to bombing the hell out of people, doesn't make it right.  I support the rebels in removing the tyrannical government from power... but that's all I believe I can and should do.. is give them moral support.  Targeted trade/economic sanctions and diplomacy should be the viable alternative.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2011, 09:02:23 PM »

My new proposal is to have more than 50% of all combat troops home by April

60% home from Iraq by 31 December - all troops (including support troops) out by June
40% back from Afghanistan by 31 December - up to 65% by April

As for Libya - people really have missed that I ordered that Atlasian forces were to act ONLY to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure in rebel-held areas. So troop numbers have dropped already - 60% will be home by 1 November - my expectation is that our forces for civilian defense as well as intelligence and logistical support would be roughly 25% of our original deployment and we can get that done by 1 November also.

In spite of my personal feelings on these conflicts, I think this is a reasonable compromise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies