Motion to Expel Senators Dwtl and PiT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:54:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Motion to Expel Senators Dwtl and PiT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Motion to Expel Senators Dwtl and PiT  (Read 9447 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2008, 01:50:59 PM »
« edited: November 25, 2008, 06:05:23 AM by Lewis (Scooter) Trondheim »

The Constitution, Article I, Section 3, Clause 1 states: "The Senate may establish rules for its own proceedings, and with the concurrence of two-thirds of its number, expel a Senator." The rules the senate has established for its own proceedings make no further note of the procedure to be used.
I will try to dig up old precedent cases on the correct proceeding now. Until that time, the vote is not open.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 01:57:41 PM »

The established precedent seems to be for the thread to set around for a couple of days for people to debate in and the vote then be started or not.

So this is what we'll be doing.
Once I start the vote I will keep it open for up to seven days or until a two-thirds majority has either been achieved or become impossible.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 03:04:12 PM »

Isn't there also a motion to expel PiT?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 03:13:12 PM »

At the moment I feel the Senate should vote to expel everyone in it! Glass houses and all that.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:14:08 PM »

Is this over the spoiling of their ballots? 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:17:42 PM »

Is this over the spoiling of their ballots? 

Yes, and collusion to steal an election.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:23:05 PM »

I don't think deliberately spoiling a ballot is a crime, or even unethical. The guys found a loophole and went with it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »

I don't think deliberately spoiling a ballot is a crime, or even unethical. The guys found a loophole and went with it.

My point exactly - everyone finds loopholes in Atlasian elections.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 03:26:16 PM »

But was the exploitation of said loophole ethical?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 03:46:23 PM »

It is not the Senates business to proclaim the vote of a Senator acting in his capacity as a private citizen, ethical or unethical
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 03:47:28 PM »

Whether Senators DWTL and PiT committed a crime is a matter for the courts. I bring this motion because they tried to undermine the democratic process in a manner which is not, and should not, be consistent with their standing as Senators of Atlasia.

Whether or not it was a violation of the letter of the law, is certainly a violation of the spirit of it. Senators DWTL and PiT, like the rest of us, took an oath to preserve, protect and defend as best they can the Constitution of Atlasia - a Constitution which enshrines democracy, which seeks to promote justice and ensure domestic tranquility.

I believe they have been found wanting, indeed, quite severely so. For that reason, I ask my fellow Senators to make clear that their behaviour and actions are unacceptable and unbecoming, by approving their expulsion from this chamber.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 04:01:38 PM »

Whether Senators DWTL and PiT committed a crime is a matter for the courts. I bring this motion because they tried to undermine the democratic process in a manner which is not, and should not, be consistent with their standing as Senators of Atlasia.

Whether or not it was a violation of the letter of the law, is certainly a violation of the spirit of it. Senators DWTL and PiT, like the rest of us, took an oath to preserve, protect and defend as best they can the Constitution of Atlasia - a Constitution which enshrines democracy, which seeks to promote justice and ensure domestic tranquility.

I believe they have been found wanting, indeed, quite severely so. For that reason, I ask my fellow Senators to make clear that their behaviour and actions are unacceptable and unbecoming, by approving their expulsion from this chamber.

They took an oath to the Consitution in their capacity as a Senator, not as a private citizen. Nor is there any indication that they have violated any part of the Constitution or indeed it's spirit. Nor have they flouted, to our knowledge at this stage before any legal response, any electoral law through purposeful spoiling of the ballot to affect the outcome of the race, nor were supporters of an opposing candidate breaking any law or practice by effectively 'ballot stuffing' the polls before they closed. All that was exploited was a loophole.

The Senate, of all bodies should be most familiar with that practice Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 04:11:05 PM »

They took an oath to the Consitution in their capacity as a Senator, not as a private citizen. Nor is there any indication that they have violated any part of the Constitution or indeed it's spirit. Nor have they flouted, to our knowledge at this stage before any legal response, any electoral law through purposeful spoiling of the ballot to affect the outcome of the race, nor were supporters of an opposing candidate breaking any law or practice by effectively 'ballot stuffing' the polls before they closed. All that was exploited was a loophole.

The Senate, of all bodies should be most familiar with that practice Smiley

I'll put you down as an 'undecided' then. Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »

I think so. Heck, waiting to vote until the last moment is kind of gaming the system too.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »

I think so. Heck, waiting to vote until the last moment is kind of gaming the system too.

But it's also Atlasian tradition, and is fully within the spirit of the law. Intentional ballot-spoling as a means of exploiting the non-monotonocity of the system is not.

Or that's the way I see it, at least.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 07:10:09 PM »

Hey I've dealt with these things before, people get a little power crazy sometimes Tongue

Anyway, I'll say this in my defense.  What I did was no different than waiting until the end to vote, what I did was legal and in fact something I had done before with good graces of President Moderate.  To expel me from this institution when the voters clearly voted to put me here is undemocratic as it deprives the voters of the representive they elected.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 07:39:40 PM »

Not the first time the Senate has attempted to expel DWTL for a non-crime, and I expect the same result, too. Of course, this exposes the hypocrisy of Jas and Trondheim.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »

I will be voting to expel DWTL
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 08:06:59 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2008, 12:07:07 AM by South Park Conservative »

So, we have three people who will vote for it, and three people who will vote against it. For this to pass, Andrew, Al, HappyWarrior, and BaconKing would all have to vote to expel him. Of course, I doubt BaconKing would vote to expel DWTL, since he wold not be in the Senate if it weren't for the matter Jas wishes to expel him for. I rate it as a 2.3% chance that DWTL actually gets expelled.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 08:34:26 PM »

Dont start tempting me now. At this point, I'm really not sure where I am leaning. As I stated previously, I am disapointed with the actions taken by a few people here. I almost believe that the best way to go about this is just let the people decide in the next election if DWTL will continue to serve or not.

So once again I'm not sure where I'm leaning with this.. I guess I'll have to ponder not what is whats best for me, but what is best for this Senate and Atlasia.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 08:47:05 PM »

Dont start tempting me now. At this point, I'm really not sure where I am leaning. As I stated previously, I am disapointed with the actions taken by a few people here. I almost believe that the best way to go about this is just let the people decide in the next election if DWTL will continue to serve or not.

So once again I'm not sure where I'm leaning with this.. I guess I'll have to ponder not what is whats best for me, but what is best for this Senate and Atlasia.
Well to answer you second question the Atlasian people wanted me in the senate
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »

So, we have three people who will vote for it, and three people who will vote against it. For this to pass, Andrew, Al, afleitch, and BaconKing would all have to vote to expel him. Of course, I doubt BaconKing would vote to expel DWTL, since he wold not be in the Senate if it weren't for the matter Jas wishes to expel him for. I rate it as a 3% chance that DWTL actually gets expelled.
Afletich isn't a senator, I suppose you mean Trondheim.  And we only have 2 confirmed votes in favor, I think Al is better than expulsion motions
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2008, 12:06:05 AM by Attorney General Xahar »

For: Jas, Sensei
Against: DWDL, PiT
Undecided: Andrew, HW
Unknown: The rest
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »

As I said, I exposed this flaw because I didn't believe people would take it seriously otherwise. If you want to expel me from the Senate for that, there isn't much I can do about it, though I can't blame anyone for their skepticism on the issue.

As for DWTL, while I cannot say that he is totally blameless by any stretch of the imagination, he pursued much the same goal, & had fun doing it. Isn't the point of Atlasia to have fun? If someone can point out an area where reform is needed & have fun doing it, should they be expelled from the Senate?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »

For: Jas, Sensei
Against: DWDL, PiT
Undecided: Andrew, Sensei
Unknown: The rest

You doubled Sensei. I believe you meant to put Happy as undecided. 

If there was no discussion, and these votes were just spoiled I think I'd be leaning more against explusion. My problem is that it was suggested in public on how to change this election. I'm positive that my friend Lief, and SPC would make excellent Senators. I just hate seeing the results change around over something like this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies