Palestine college student protest megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:31:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Palestine college student protest megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 35
Author Topic: Palestine college student protest megathread  (Read 17947 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: May 01, 2024, 10:25:50 PM »

I don’t care whether you think Israel’s actions in Gaza are justified or not. The actions and conduct of these protesters has been straight up despicable and you should be ashamed of yourself if you’re still supporting them.

They're certainly not doing their cause any favors.

It seems to be a trend in this country where protests don't really evoke sympathy or support in our society, and often fuel the reverse.

See also: the George Floyd protests.

Mitt Romney supported the George Floyd protests.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #576 on: May 01, 2024, 10:33:26 PM »

Should they have said nothing when Israel dropped bombs on Palestinian women and children and blockaded food from entering Gaza and killed tens of thousands of Palestinians in what has been commonly described by many as an ethnic cleansing?

Why would that have been a better course of action?
America’s internal unrest poses a much greater threat to the lives and civil liberties of people around the world than Benjamin Netanyahu.

... what? This is vague as hell and doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Netanyahu's government has killed tens of thousands of Palestinians in the last 7 months. How many people around the world has America's internal unrest killed in the last 7 months?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #577 on: May 01, 2024, 10:33:27 PM »

These are the 'foreign, outside influences' that apparently are the bulk of the protest movement. Lmao.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #578 on: May 01, 2024, 10:39:13 PM »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/thecjpearson/status/1785793829628518432[/tweeet]

Even as someone who doesn't like the normalization of the f-word, I have to admit I laughed that both sides could agree on something.

This video almost seems like a skit because of that combined with just how stereotypical the divide between "SEC frat conservatives" and "Palestinian protesters" looks just in a 10 second video.  But, it's very real and was reported by the UA student newspaper too.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #579 on: May 01, 2024, 10:52:43 PM »

I really don't think this can be called "unrest", lol. This is completely irrelevant to everyone who isn't on one of these campuses.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #580 on: May 01, 2024, 10:56:29 PM »

I don’t care whether you think Israel’s actions in Gaza are justified or not. The actions and conduct of these protesters has been straight up despicable and you should be ashamed of yourself if you’re still supporting them.

They're certainly not doing their cause any favors.

It seems to be a trend in this country where protests don't really evoke sympathy or support in our society, and often fuel the reverse.

See also: the George Floyd protests.

Mitt Romney supported the George Floyd protests.

Early on. And I supported, and still do as well. But that summer of protests did little more than empower the "law and order" crowd.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #581 on: May 02, 2024, 01:24:24 AM »

I really don't think this can be called "unrest", lol. This is completely irrelevant to everyone who isn't on one of these campuses.

Apparently there's an encampment at UW now.  I drive by UW every day on my way to work and it literally didn't affect my life at all, I had to find out from /r/seattle.

I might swing by tomorrow evening to check it out if it's still up.  If anyone in Seattle would like to join me for a little excursion, hmu.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #582 on: May 02, 2024, 05:35:51 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2024, 06:04:05 AM by Agafin »

Iran University Offers Scholarships to Expelled US Students

This seems to be a win-win scenario. Most of those students support the Iran-backed houthis and hamas and hate the US. So they get to join their dream country while the US is finally rid of them.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #583 on: May 02, 2024, 05:53:05 AM »

These are the 'foreign, outside influences' that apparently are the bulk of the protest movement. Lmao.

What percentage of the students who have been protesting on the lawns at Columbia and outside the gates recently took part in the occupation of Hamilton Hall which led to the arrests? I think it was probably 5% or fewer.

I don’t think you want to make the argument that the low number of non-students arrested at Hamilton Hall proves that the people chanting to burn down Tel Aviv outside the gates and holding signs up asking counter-protesters to be bombed were definitely students.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #584 on: May 02, 2024, 05:56:25 AM »

This seems to be a win-win scenario. Most of those students support the Iran-backed houthis and hamas ans hate the US. So they get to join their dream country while the US is finally rid of them.

So long as they renounce their American citizenship and are denied passports to return to America ever again, I'm cool with this.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #585 on: May 02, 2024, 05:56:37 AM »

911?
I want to report a murder.

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #586 on: May 02, 2024, 07:39:32 AM »

The protestors want Trump to win. You don't have to take my word for it; take theirs. I hate that I have to root for the protests to end, because what's happening in Gaza is not okay.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #587 on: May 02, 2024, 07:42:47 AM »

911?

Offtopic but damn, JD Vance has absolutely gorgeous eyes.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #588 on: May 02, 2024, 08:18:13 AM »

911?

Always been in love with Kaitlan
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #589 on: May 02, 2024, 08:51:10 AM »

The children of Gaza are watching you, college students.  They are listening as casualties are still occurring in Gaza.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #590 on: May 02, 2024, 09:16:21 AM »

The American people overwhelmingly support the police’s actions, including young people. Almost a majority support banning “pro-Palestinian” protests.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #591 on: May 02, 2024, 09:27:30 AM »

The protestors want Trump to win. You don't have to take my word for it; take theirs. I hate that I have to root for the protests to end, because what's happening in Gaza is not okay.

There's barely anything happening in Gaza right now, and this has been frustratingly true for well over a month now.  Fewer than 1,000 people died in the last month.  Everything is on pause (some might even call it a "cease fire") because most of Hamas is holed up in Rafah and Israel isn't ready to go in yet.  Now is possibly the least urgent time of concern for Gaza.

The children of Gaza are watching you, college students.  They are listening as casualties are still occurring in Gaza.

How are the children of Gaza watching these protests when I was told one of Israel's main genocidal acts was cutting power and internet access for the Gazans?  The same people doing these protests assured me that Israel was going to block everyone in Gaza from the internet so they couldn't broadcast evidence and testimony of Israel's brutal acts of ethnic cleansing.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #592 on: May 02, 2024, 09:39:46 AM »

This seems to be a win-win scenario. Most of those students support the Iran-backed houthis and hamas and hate the US. So they get to join their dream country while the US is finally rid of them.

Don’t forget they can also get STEM equality in Iran.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #593 on: May 02, 2024, 09:55:51 AM »

The American people overwhelmingly support the police’s actions, including young people. Almost a majority support banning “pro-Palestinian” protests.

That's not what the question asked, it said "to protect campuses from violence" which is a broad statement. And definitely NOT what police are doing at the moment.

Also pretty obvious that most people don't understand the 1st amendment - including lawmakers.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #594 on: May 02, 2024, 10:12:50 AM »

Jerry Seinfeld wife and Bill Ackman are funding the "counterprotests".  Where is the media outcry about this backing, after all the fearmonging about China or Russia funding the protest movement in America?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #595 on: May 02, 2024, 10:15:11 AM »

Jerry Seinfeld wife and Bill Ackman are funding the "counterprotests".  Where is the media outcry about this backing, after all the fearmonging about China or Russia funding the protest movement in America?

Why would there be any media outcry about this? You realize that there’s a difference between random American guys and hostile foreign governments right?
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #596 on: May 02, 2024, 10:15:46 AM »

That's not what the question asked, it said "to protect campuses from violence" which is a broad statement. And definitely NOT what police are doing at the moment.

Also pretty obvious that most people don't understand the 1st amendment - including lawmakers.

Ironically they do. Better than elites. The sentiment is for banning all disruptive protests on the issue which is viewpoint-neutral. There is a right to speech, not expression. And pluralities seem fine telling both Israelis and Pro-Palestinians to take their fight elsewhere.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #597 on: May 02, 2024, 10:19:45 AM »

The people who want to ban protests about the conflict on campus, and in particular those who want to ban pro-Palestinian protests but not pro-Israel protests, are traitors to this country and its Constitution.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #598 on: May 02, 2024, 10:23:50 AM »

Why Why Why Why Why

WHY

is the left so invested in Palestine? Their values are literally the opposite of progressives value.

Fight against ISRAEL but do not fight FOR Islamic values!
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #599 on: May 02, 2024, 10:37:57 AM »

A encampment started up at my college yesterday and then ended things early because everyone marshalled over to UCLA, I wasn't on campus I was doing security for the mayday march in downtown which went 100% peacefully and was awesome we had over 5000 people from various unions and other groups in the community marching for housing for all and a ceasefire. But there was a hours long standoff with police at UCLA last night. The dean apologized about them being attacked by pro-Israel protestors last night, fireworks were launched into the encampment and backpacks full of mice were thrown into the encampment and several fights were people were seriously injured, and then told the students they had to leave by 6 or be arrested by a police sweep. As soon as this was announced, thousands of community members showed up to UCLA and had a stand off with police until they used flashbangs and less than lethal munitions several students were injured and arrested and detained this morning unsure on the final count, but it was truly chaotic. It was inspiring to see how many community members showed up to create a ring around the students and protect them.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies