Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:39:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 51
Author Topic: Beto O’Rourke 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 86059 times)
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: March 17, 2019, 05:46:50 PM »

The party of inclusivity. Purple heart

Attacking Beto and his drunk driving issues is fine, but bringing his heritage into it, not so much. Very typical, GOP party leadership continuing to be gutter garbage as usual.

His Irish heritage wouldn't be notable if he didn't try to pass himself off as Hispanic via a nickname which was intentionally contrived to make him more electable in El Paso:

In the backdrop of the city's multicultural community, his father, Pat O'Rourke, a consummate politician, once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke.

Okay?

It's not as if he personally gave himself the nickname to help him win over Hispanics.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #501 on: March 17, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »

https://www.discogs.com/Foss-The-El-Paso-Pussycats/release/5832632

He's listed as "Beto O'Rourke" on his band's record too.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #502 on: March 17, 2019, 06:29:46 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2019, 06:36:57 PM by Prolocutor Bagel23 »

Attacking Beto and his drunk driving issues is fine, but bringing his heritage into it, not so much. Very typical, GOP party leadership continuing to be gutter garbage as usual.

His Irish heritage wouldn't be notable if he didn't try to pass himself off as Hispanic via a nickname which was intentionally contrived to make him more electable in El Paso:

In the backdrop of the city's multicultural community, his father, Pat O'Rourke, a consummate politician, once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke.

Beto O’Rourke drinking and driving, then getting arrested is not ok either. But it has nothing to do with why the tweet is offensive. Slam the man, slam his actions, regardless of what he did, even if he did the same thing, it still does not make it ok to bring his heritage into it. Pointing at someone else for one’s own actions is sh!tty and lame. This tweet is offensive, and nothing Beto or his dad or Clifford the big red dog’s fifth cousin makes it ok.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #503 on: March 17, 2019, 07:13:56 PM »

Beto O’Rourke drinking and driving, then getting arrested is not ok either. But it has nothing to do with why the tweet is offensive. Slam the man, slam his actions, regardless of what he did, even if he did the same thing, it still does not make it ok to bring his heritage into it. Pointing at someone else for one’s own actions is sh!tty and lame. This tweet is offensive, and nothing Beto or his dad or Clifford the big red dog’s fifth cousin makes it ok.

Exactly. Unfortunately, Realistic Idealist has probably laid out the GOP attack playbook that will be hammered home ad nauseum against O'Rourke. They'll focus on his drunk driving incident, which is a legitimate criticism (even as they ignore George Bush); and his name, which is not a legitimate criticism at all, especially when one of his opponents was Rafael Cruz.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #504 on: March 17, 2019, 07:36:28 PM »

The person who asked this is a F[INKS]ING LOSER

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #505 on: March 17, 2019, 07:52:02 PM »

Apparently he’ll be in Charleston. Wonder if a Joe Cunningham endorsement is forthcoming. Beto seems like he’d do good in his district both in primary and general.

Did James Smith win SC-01?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #506 on: March 17, 2019, 07:59:32 PM »

Yeah seriously he gets a chance to ask Beto f&cking O’Rourke a question, and he f&cking screws it up by asking some dumb@$$ $h!t.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #507 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:40 PM »

What did Beto say?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #508 on: March 17, 2019, 08:02:54 PM »

Apparently he’ll be in Charleston. Wonder if a Joe Cunningham endorsement is forthcoming. Beto seems like he’d do good in his district both in primary and general.

Did James Smith win SC-01?

Unfortunately not

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #509 on: March 17, 2019, 08:04:07 PM »

What did Beto say?

His answers are in the pic.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #510 on: March 17, 2019, 08:11:56 PM »

What did Beto say?

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #511 on: March 17, 2019, 08:19:48 PM »

It's okay when Trump does it though? I hate parts of this country.  God forbid he speak the way literally 95% of people I've ever heard speak.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #512 on: March 17, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »

This f[inks]ing loser should've visited my church last week when a guy being interviewed actually said "f[inks]ing sh!t" out loud.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #513 on: March 17, 2019, 08:24:30 PM »

It's okay when Trump does it though? I hate parts of this country.  God forbid he speak the way literally 95% of people I've ever heard speak.

To be fair, Democratic voters are quite different from Republican voters.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #514 on: March 17, 2019, 08:46:17 PM »

i know it put him in an awkward situation, but I wish Beto did not back down.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #515 on: March 17, 2019, 09:09:55 PM »

i know it put him in an awkward situation, but I wish Beto did not back down.
SCNCmod

« Reply #516 on: March 17, 2019, 09:41:52 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2019, 10:00:51 PM by SCNCmod »

The two most important states in 2020 will be Florida & Wisconsin. If Beto were to become the nominee I'd like to see him pick the man who came within half a percent of winning the race for governor of Florida, Andrew Gillum. Together, they would comprise a talented (and both youthful and highly energetic) team. Of course, the primary thing lacking on this ticket would be a woman. Amendment 4 (Voting Rights Restoration) having been passed and now implemented in Florida, could create a situation where a narrow loss in '18 becomes a narrow win in '20. Beto would need to constantly campaign in Wisconsin and Gillum would need to double down on Florida. WINNING EITHER STATE SHOULD BE ENOUGH (OVER 270 ELECTORS) TO SEND THEM TO THE WHITE HOUSE. YOUTHFUL AND ENERGETIC DEM TICKETS WIN!
Andrew Gillum had absolutely no business losing Florida and his opponent was a clown. Beto needs to pick a woman Senator from the Mid-West or one of the Latinas (Senate or Gov) from the Sun Belt.

I pretty much agree with this response.  but I do think Beto would need to choose a minority woman as running mate... whether Gov Lujan Grisham, Kamala, or someone else (but I do not think Duckworth or Cortez Masto would be good choices).  Kamala & Grisham both have more charisma & presence...  
SCNCmod

« Reply #517 on: March 17, 2019, 10:00:18 PM »

Others may disagree with with me... And I personally have no problem with it... but I remember thinking that he needs to refrain from 4 letter words in town halls & campaign stops (in one stop his first day he used one, can't remember which).  Again, although I don't care, but he needs to be respectful for those in the crowd, who have come to see him, that may care (especially since he is running as the positive good guy campaigner, etc).

Regarding being in Charleston, SC in one of the above questions... Cunningham & his wife are big fans of Beto, so I'm sure they will endorse Beto at some point.  Regarding James Smith- he was running for Governor, not a congressional seat (and although he would've been a great Governor & should've been able to make it a tight Gov's race... he unfortunately ran an awful & totally lack luster Campaign.  Maybe because he has always won easily & was therefore unprepared in a way? Not sure, but it really was a HUGE letdown by someone who had all the tools necessary to make the election a close one (against a very weak candidate in McMaster).
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #518 on: March 17, 2019, 10:34:41 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2019, 10:44:50 PM by Cold War Liberal »

Love how GOP minority outreach is so bad it would be distasteful in 1919, to say nothing of 2019
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #519 on: March 18, 2019, 05:05:10 AM »

Should've responded like the Fruitcake Lady!
SCNCmod

« Reply #520 on: March 18, 2019, 06:06:23 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2019, 06:53:43 AM by SCNCmod »

Beto is off to a good start after all- Raising $6.1 Million in the first 24 hours, topping Bernie's $5.9 Million & Kamala's $1.5 Million.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #521 on: March 18, 2019, 06:09:08 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2019, 06:14:31 AM by BetoBro »

Beto is off to a good start after all- Raising $6.1 Million in the first 24 hours, topping Bernie's $5.5 Million.

Does this make him the frontrunner now?! Just more proof of how out of touch the Beltway media and the Beto haters are with the rest of the country.

*Paging jfern* Cheesy

#BETO2020 #BetoDaysAreComing
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #522 on: March 18, 2019, 06:28:42 AM »

Beto is off to a good start after all- Raising $6.1 Million in the first 24 hours, topping Bernie's $5.5 Million & Kamala's $1.5 Million.

HELL YEAH!
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #523 on: March 18, 2019, 06:49:31 AM »

Beto is off to a good start after all- Raising $6.1 Million in the first 24 hours, topping Bernie's $5.5 Million & Kamala's $1.5 Million.
*5.9 Million

However, I’d personally be more comfortable if we know how many donors he’s raised this amount of money from. To compare, Harris was ~38K and Sanders was ~225K.
SCNCmod

« Reply #524 on: March 18, 2019, 06:53:12 AM »

*5.9 Million

However, I’d personally be more comfortable if we know how many donors he’s raised this amount of money from. To compare, Harris was ~38K and Sanders was ~225K.

My mistake regarding $5.5 vs $5.9.  Regarding the number of donors- he may have released this number- I haven't read an in depth article on the fundraising info.  But I do know that his Senate campaign received a lot of small dollar donors.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies