Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:43:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 49
Author Topic: Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012  (Read 178466 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: March 02, 2013, 11:00:27 PM »
« edited: March 02, 2013, 11:02:42 PM by King of Kensington »

That's great...but it's terrible in terms of the community of interest principle.  

There's also a lot of potential NDP vote in St. Paul's that supports Joe Mihevc municipally but votes Liberal federally and provincially because it's historically been a Liberal/Tory race (well actually super-Liberal since about 1999) and where the NDP was never in contention.   So it's better in terms of spreading the NDP vote around.  The section of University-Rosedale east of Avenue Rd. is pretty much an NDP dead zone and there's little potential vote.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #776 on: March 03, 2013, 12:02:03 AM »

Its worth noting that the proposed new University-Rosedale seats turns out to be a much safer NDP seat than St. Paul would have been if it had absorbed the Annex. U-R would have gone NDP by 13 points in 2011 while the proposed new St. paul would have been NDP by only 1 or 2%

Yes, but the 2008 results in U-R were much closer. It's really a terrible riding creation. They had things better with the previous map.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #777 on: March 03, 2013, 12:11:33 AM »

Here is my alternative plan for Alberta.  It was tough to add six seats while maintaining existing riding boundaries as much as possible, all while keeping the populations within the range mandated by the incredibly anal Alberta Commission.  In the end, all ridings were within 5% of the provincial quotient except for the three Northern seats, which were within 10%.

Northern Alberta - Alternative

Southern Alberta - Alternative

Suburban Edmonton and Calgary - Alternative

Edmonton - Alternative

Calgary - Alternative

I like how you kept Red Deer together, however I can't say I'm happy with your Calgary map. I never understood why the Airport is not used as a boundary. The NE riding has two communities divided by the airport.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #778 on: March 03, 2013, 12:27:37 AM »

Yes, but the 2008 results in U-R were much closer. It's really a terrible riding creation. They had things better with the previous map.

Also the Commission made a major change to the map in Toronto without any hinting or prior announcement and time for consultations.  When they made new proposals for Hamilton-Niagara, Oakville, etc. these changes were announced in ample time.
Krago
« Reply #779 on: March 03, 2013, 07:44:01 AM »

Here is my alternative plan for Alberta.  It was tough to add six seats while maintaining existing riding boundaries as much as possible, all while keeping the populations within the range mandated by the incredibly anal Alberta Commission.  In the end, all ridings were within 5% of the provincial quotient except for the three Northern seats, which were within 10%.

Edmonton - Alternative

Calgary - Alternative

I like how you kept Red Deer together, however I can't say I'm happy with your Calgary map. I never understood why the Airport is not used as a boundary. The NE riding has two communities divided by the airport.

I agree that using the Airport (Deerfoot Trail) as the boundary would be a better idea, except for the ripple effect it would have on neighbouring ridings.  By keeping Harvest Hills Blvd as the boundary between Calgary-Nose Hill and Calgary Northeast (now Calgary Skyview), the numbers allow you to use the Bow River as a riding boundary all the way from Calgary's western city limit to its southern one.  Moving the line to Deerfoot Trail would create two additional Bow-crossing seats.
Krago
« Reply #780 on: March 03, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »

Here are two more options that add Davenport and St. Paul's to the mix and join Forest Hill with Rosedale.

Downtown Toronto - Option 4 - Federal

Downtown Toronto - Option 4 - Provincial

Downtown Toronto - Option 5 - Federal

Downtown Toronto - Option 5 - Provincial
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #781 on: March 03, 2013, 09:25:40 AM »

Here is my alternative plan for Alberta.  It was tough to add six seats while maintaining existing riding boundaries as much as possible, all while keeping the populations within the range mandated by the incredibly anal Alberta Commission.  In the end, all ridings were within 5% of the provincial quotient except for the three Northern seats, which were within 10%.

Edmonton - Alternative

Calgary - Alternative

I agree that using the Airport (Deerfoot Trail) as the boundary would be a better idea, except for the ripple effect it would have on neighbouring ridings.  By keeping Harvest Hills Blvd as the boundary between Calgary-Nose Hill and Calgary Northeast (now Calgary Skyview), the numbers allow you to use the Bow River as a riding boundary all the way from Calgary's western city limit to its southern one.  Moving the line to Deerfoot Trail would create two additional Bow-crossing seats.

I had created this a while ago- it's probably in this thread somewhere but:

Notice how the Bow River is the boundary all the way across the city, and I still used the airport as the boundary.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #782 on: March 03, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »

The Portuguese community wont like that map...
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #783 on: March 03, 2013, 09:47:31 AM »

Have to say I like 4, the only riding out of reach for the NDP is Forest Hill-Rosedale Smiley

True, but the portuguese community is divided on the municipal level already; i wonder how they are dealing with that?
they actually have two portuguese councillors (Palacio and Baliao)... so maybe they might benefit some?

And welcome Krago... maps=amazing

Also, does anyone know i Olivia might speak at those procedures meetings we've had listed here? I'm seeing a lot of bad feedback coming from Rosario's FB page. Do these meetings actually result in the maps being amended?
adma
« Reply #784 on: March 03, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »

When it comes to the whole "community of interest" thing re Rosedale vs Regent Park/St James Town: it isn't like Thorncliffe + Flemingdon have jibed w/the rest of Don Valley West...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #785 on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:13 AM »

Have to say I like 4, the only riding out of reach for the NDP is Forest Hill-Rosedale Smiley

True, but the portuguese community is divided on the municipal level already; i wonder how they are dealing with that?
they actually have two portuguese councillors (Palacio and Baliao)... so maybe they might benefit some?

And welcome Krago... maps=amazing

Also, does anyone know i Olivia might speak at those procedures meetings we've had listed here? I'm seeing a lot of bad feedback coming from Rosario's FB page. Do these meetings actually result in the maps being amended?

On City council it's not so much that the community is split rather they just get 2 wards.... A split is inevitable, and not a bad thing in this case. But what Krago is doing is diluting the portuguese community by putting other areas with it. On City council there is no dilution.

When it comes to the whole "community of interest" thing re Rosedale vs Regent Park/St James Town: it isn't like Thorncliffe + Flemingdon have jibed w/the rest of Don Valley West...

Doesn't make it right. But due to Thorncliffe's isolation, there's probably no choice but to lump it into a wealthy riding. Unless you expand Toronto-Danforth across the Don?
Krago
« Reply #786 on: March 03, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »

Here is my alternative plan for Alberta.  It was tough to add six seats while maintaining existing riding boundaries as much as possible, all while keeping the populations within the range mandated by the incredibly anal Alberta Commission.  In the end, all ridings were within 5% of the provincial quotient except for the three Northern seats, which were within 10%.

Edmonton - Alternative

Calgary - Alternative

I agree that using the Airport (Deerfoot Trail) as the boundary would be a better idea, except for the ripple effect it would have on neighbouring ridings.  By keeping Harvest Hills Blvd as the boundary between Calgary-Nose Hill and Calgary Northeast (now Calgary Skyview), the numbers allow you to use the Bow River as a riding boundary all the way from Calgary's western city limit to its southern one.  Moving the line to Deerfoot Trail would create two additional Bow-crossing seats.

Notice how the Bow River is the boundary all the way across the city, and I still used the airport as the boundary.

That looks like a good plan.  Here's my take on it.

Northern Calgary - Alternative 2
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #787 on: March 03, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »

Hasn't Flemingdon been moved to DVE?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #788 on: March 03, 2013, 10:39:39 PM »

Edmonton - Alternative

Calgary - Alternative

That looks like a good plan.  Here's my take on it.

Northern Calgary - Alternative 2

Pretty similar to my map. I wonder though about calling any riding "Calgary--Nose Hill", when the hill is but an appendage to the riding.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #789 on: March 04, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »

Procedure Committee heard 4 MPs today:

Nest Tuesday (March 5th), they will hear 3 MPs:
Peter Julian, NDP, Burnaby—New Westminster
Kennedy Stewart, NDP, Burnaby—Douglas   
Mark Warawa, Conservative, Langley

Next Thursday (March 7th) is about New Brunswick:
Mike Allen, Conservative, Tobique—Mactaquac
John Williamson, Conservative, New Brunswick Southwest
Yvon Godin, NDP, Acadie—Bathurst
Robert Goguen, Conservative, Moncton—Riverview—Dieppe
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #790 on: March 05, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »

I will be meeting with Olivia Chow's office on Thursday to discuss the new map. 
Krago
« Reply #791 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »

This may help with your discussions:

Downtown Toronto Mother Tongue map
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #792 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:30 AM »

This may help with your discussions:

Downtown Toronto Mother Tongue map

Great stuff as always, Krago. BTW, does your Chinese map include "Chinese not included elsewhere"? It should also include some of the other dialects that are counted separately.

It's clear from that map that Davenport at as a riding exists solely to protect the Portuguese community. Maybe the riding should be renamed to "Rua Açores" or something.
Krago
« Reply #793 on: March 06, 2013, 10:52:20 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2013, 11:30:31 AM by Krago »

The Chinese figure includes Cantonese, Mandarin, Taiwanese and 'Chinese' (presumably Chinese not included elsewhere).  It doesn't include Hakka, Fukien or Tibetan.

ETA: I've adjusted the map to include Hakka and Fukien under Chinese, and to split the Under 5% category between 1% to 5% and Under 1%.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #794 on: March 06, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »

What about Shanghaiese, isn't that listed as well?
Krago
« Reply #795 on: March 06, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »

What about Shanghaiese, isn't that listed as well?

I've already changed it twice.  Screw 'em.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #796 on: March 06, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »

Thanks Krago.  Really does cut the Chinese community in half.  BTW these are dissemination areas?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #797 on: March 06, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »

Thanks Krago.  Really does cut the Chinese community in half.  BTW these are dissemination areas?

I believe they are.
Krago
« Reply #798 on: March 06, 2013, 02:19:24 PM »

Thanks Krago.  Really does cut the Chinese community in half.  BTW these are dissemination areas?

I believe they are.

The underlying 2011 Census data is at the DA level.  On my original map the lines indicated DA boundaries, but I've updated the map (and the link) to overlay the colours with the StatsCan road network.  This should make it easier to determine the boundaries of the different language communities.

And I've updated the data to include Shanghaiese - as you knew I would!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #799 on: March 06, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2013, 04:53:56 PM by Hatman »

Oh dear,

You should also have Taiwanese and Chaochao in the mix Smiley

ETA: Here is the statscan list of recognized languages: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/ref/dict/app-ann004-eng.cfm

I would combine all the Chinese languages together.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies