The Liberal Party.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:20:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Liberal Party.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: The Liberal Party.  (Read 17504 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »

The Liberal Party should have no plank in their platform one way or the other about abortion.  The abortion issue is a lose lose situation.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2012, 10:51:25 PM »

The Liberal Party should have no plank in their platform one way or the other about abortion.  The abortion issue is a lose lose situation.

The new right-wing parties seem to be adopting a position on the issue.  It would make sense if we did the same.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2012, 10:52:56 PM »

Can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with Winfield.  Leave the issue of abortion to each individual member's conscience.  Heaven knows I have ambivalent feelings about the issue myself.   
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »

The new right-wing parties seem to be adopting a position on the issue.  It would make sense if we did the same.

In my opinion, for both sides it should be an important issue. It's life vs. Women's rights. While I don't like tge liberal position, it is worth taking a position. Don't try to cover up the fact that it happens & that it's ab issue.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »

If we were to have regional parties, then the chairman could be in charge of recruiting candidates.  I know that we currently don't have a lot of members yet, but maybe in time it is something we could consider.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2012, 10:55:06 PM »

Have we decided on our economic platform yet? We should most certainly be centrist on economic issues. Also we should be in favor of abortion for the first two trimesters and be anti-death penalty.

I agree with these, are there any specific economic issues you think should be in the platform? I suspect that support for free trade will be in the final platform, as well as avoiding overregulation. We should probably support progressive taxation and diversity of taxation, and removing loopholes. I think we should be supportive of effective healthcare and education programs too.

Yes, I agree with that. For healthcare I think we should pursue a model where the government provides subsidies to those below a certain income level. I don't have a problem with a public option as long as they assume all the risk and it's not subsidized by the government. I don't agree with the government actually employing the providers of healthcare. I am not completely sure how our system is currently so that may be someplace we can try and separate ourselves from the status quo. Also maybe put in something about spending only when necessary and cutting back on wasteful spending but that might be too vague.

Atlasia currently has a universal health care system.  I would not be in favor of opposing it.

MOPolitico and I are soon introducing a health care reform bill to reign in the out of control costs of our current situation. High income earners will likely have to find private coverage to sustain the system.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2012, 10:56:42 PM »

Hey, look! It's Frodo and Winfield, two people who I'd love to share a party with. Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2012, 11:00:16 PM »

Have we decided on our economic platform yet? We should most certainly be centrist on economic issues. Also we should be in favor of abortion for the first two trimesters and be anti-death penalty.

I agree with these, are there any specific economic issues you think should be in the platform? I suspect that support for free trade will be in the final platform, as well as avoiding overregulation. We should probably support progressive taxation and diversity of taxation, and removing loopholes. I think we should be supportive of effective healthcare and education programs too.

Yes, I agree with that. For healthcare I think we should pursue a model where the government provides subsidies to those below a certain income level. I don't have a problem with a public option as long as they assume all the risk and it's not subsidized by the government. I don't agree with the government actually employing the providers of healthcare. I am not completely sure how our system is currently so that may be someplace we can try and separate ourselves from the status quo. Also maybe put in something about spending only when necessary and cutting back on wasteful spending but that might be too vague.

Atlasia currently has a universal health care system.  I would not be in favor of opposing it.

MOPolitico and I are soon introducing a health care reform bill to reign in the out of control costs of our current situation. High income earners will likely have to find private coverage to sustain the system.

That sounds like a reasonable idea.  I just wouldn't want the Liberal Party to oppose the national healthcare act or the system as a whole.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2012, 11:09:03 PM »

In my opinion, for both sides it should be an important issue. It's life vs. Women's rights. While I don't like tge liberal position, it is worth taking a position. Don't try to cover up the fact that it happens & that it's ab issue.

I don't think not having a formal position is covering it up... a touch melodramatic.

I don't think having a position on it would be terrible... and thankfully, there are very few Atlasians who vote purely on that issue.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »

I don't think not having a formal position is covering it up... a touch melodramatic.

I don't think having a position on it would be terrible... and thankfully, there are very few Atlasians who vote purely on that issue.

^ This.

As a centrist party we're, predictably, going to be caricatured as an opportunistic "big tent" anyway, let's not give people ammunition by Moderate Hero-ing our stance on abortion.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2012, 11:28:40 PM »

I don't view ourselves as a centrist party. We should certainly have very socially liberal views with centrist economic ones. That is our niche....
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »

I don't view ourselves as a centrist party. We should certainly have very socially liberal views with centrist economic ones. That is our niche....

This.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: January 29, 2012, 11:34:14 PM »

In context I suppose we are a centrist party, to the extent that we sit between the more left wing Social Democrats and the right wing Communitarian/Whigs. Hopefully the members of the Moderate Party consider joining as they seem to be economically centrist and socially liberal too.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2012, 11:34:48 PM »

I think the overarching abortion principle should be 'safe, legal and rare' - I think there should be greater restrictions the further along in the pregnancy you are, especially at the point of viability.

Along with that we should advocate for greater support for comprehensive sex-education as well as support for adoption services.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »

Where does the Liberal Party stand on the issue of same sex marriage?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »

Being a Liberal is more than having an ideology though. It also encompasses a pragmatic approach to governing and a focus on making involvement in the game more fun for everybody.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2012, 11:41:17 PM »

We support the status quo, which grants civil unions to all couples that aren't close kin.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2012, 03:45:12 AM »

I propose we create a local chairman for 3 regions of the country.
The Northeast
The South and Mideast
The Pacific and Midwest
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »

Giving this a shot.  I do expect a welcoming party upon my arrival at HQ.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »

I propose we create a local chairman for 3 regions of the country.
The Northeast
The South and Mideast
The Pacific and Midwest

I agree with Scott that it's too early for regional chairs. Let's wait and see how things turn out, first.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »

Welcome! Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »

Welcome! Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »

I've sent the following, based on a jumble of the various proposed platforms thus far, to Dallasfan as our description for the Introduction to Atlasia thread, hopefully it's too vague to cause any disagreements. Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2012, 05:09:56 PM »

Your post count says "leet"! Hahaaa.

You can register in the New Register Thread. It is stickied of course.

Fairly soon we can start our official convention, don't you guys think? Or is this technically it? Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »

Your post count says "leet"! Hahaaa.

You can register in the New Register Thread. It is stickied of course.

Fairly soon we can start our official convention, don't you guys think? Or is this technically it? Tongue

I was going to start it tomorrow if that works? I'm thinking New York City for the location since the Cons have already taken over Philadelphia. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies