OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:14:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71
Author Topic: OH-12 Special Election: Balderson vs. O’Connor on August 7  (Read 110401 times)
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: August 07, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »

The GOP is in danger in November. Even a +1 Balderson win should be enough to tell you that.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1601 on: August 07, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »

Just woke up and saw the results ...

So, Balderson "won" by 0.9%, or 1750 votes ?

But there are 8.500 provisional and mail ballots left to count (which usually tend to be strong Dem) ?

This is not completely over yet (but many of the 8.500 might not be valid).

Anyway, extremely strong results for the Democrats.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1602 on: August 07, 2018, 11:06:41 PM »

Guys, Balderson won fair and square. Let's not be like Saccone and Moore, focus on the fall and win the darn house!

Look Bagel----

I'll be unusually blunt which is not my typical style.

Your "Election Analysis" on this thread quite frankly sucks, and has added 0% to the overall conversation, regardless of Partisan affiliation on the part of the vast majority of Atlas posters on the thread.

Sure, I'll give my PUB knowledgeable contributors the credit that the current evidence appears that Balderson won narrowly.

Still, you seem to forget the basic data, and neglect the fundamental point that the OH State Gvt has been systematically finding various ways of disenfranchising legit voters as part of a systematic effort to control of the levers of POWER within the great state of Ohio.

The slippery weasels essentially put ~ 5% of the entire voting population of OH CD-12 SE into a "Provisional Voting" category, and now you are bending down and worshiping at the altar of "Free and Fair elections"....

Call me confused as a former Resident of the Buckeye State?Huh

Harsh.

Hey--- I like Bagel and I don't like to speak about people in the 3rd Person, since where I was raised that was considered rude: "Bagel you're a cool guy but objectively you went a bit off the rails tonight to the point where the mods needed to keep you in check---- looking forward to chatting with you on other threads, since fundamentally I tend to agree with some of the arguments you post on a wide variety of topics".

Maybe I was OTT on the "100% election analysis on this thread sucks" was extreme hyperbole solely confined to particular posts on this particular thread tonight, and honestly I do feel that maybe I should have couched my statement with much more subtlety and in private......

Sorry Bagel:

I sent you my personal apologies privately and am hoping that understand where I was coming from when I made that post.   Sad

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1603 on: August 07, 2018, 11:10:40 PM »

Well, if we assume that 6.000 of the 8.500 remaining provisional/absentee ballots are valid ... and O'Connor wins 65% of them, he'd have an overall lead of 50 votes ...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1604 on: August 07, 2018, 11:12:23 PM »

Guys, Balderson won fair and square. Let's not be like Saccone and Moore, focus on the fall and win the darn house!

Look Bagel----

I'll be unusually blunt which is not my typical style.

Your "Election Analysis" on this thread quite frankly sucks, and has added 0% to the overall conversation, regardless of Partisan affiliation on the part of the vast majority of Atlas posters on the thread.

Sure, I'll give my PUB knowledgeable contributors the credit that the current evidence appears that Balderson won narrowly.

Still, you seem to forget the basic data, and neglect the fundamental point that the OH State Gvt has been systematically finding various ways of disenfranchising legit voters as part of a systematic effort to control of the levers of POWER within the great state of Ohio.

The slippery weasels essentially put ~ 5% of the entire voting population of OH CD-12 SE into a "Provisional Voting" category, and now you are bending down and worshiping at the altar of "Free and Fair elections"....

Call me confused as a former Resident of the Buckeye State?Huh

Harsh.

Hey--- I like Bagel and I don't like to speak about people in the 3rd Person, since where I was raised that was considered rude: "Bagel you're a cool guy but objectively you went a bit off the rails tonight to the point where the mods needed to keep you in check---- looking forward to chatting with you on other threads, since fundamentally I tend to agree with some of the arguments you post on a wide variety of topics".

Maybe I was OTT on the "100% election analysis on this thread sucks" was extreme hyperbole solely confined to particular posts on this particular thread tonight, and honestly I do feel that maybe I should have couched my statement with much more subtlety and in private......

Sorry Bagel:

I sent you my personal apologies privately and am hoping that understand where I was coming from when I made that post.   Sad
Honestly, he deserved it, NOVA. Don't beat yourself up for putting a troll in its place.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1605 on: August 07, 2018, 11:19:31 PM »

Here are the benchmarks of what O'Connor needs to win the race, with the remaining 8.500 mail/provisional ballots:

If just half of them are valid, O'Connor needs to win some 71% of them.

If 5.000 of them are valid, O'Connor needs to win some 68% of them.

If 6.000 of them are valid, O'Connor needs to win some 65% of them.

If 7.000 of them are valid, O'Connor needs to win some 63% of them.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1606 on: August 07, 2018, 11:26:37 PM »

This is enough to maybe go to the recount zone:

Assuming this is correct, O'Connor will need about 71% of all these provisionals in order to win (roughly 6,000 of the 8,400) and considering a solid # will likely be thrown out, probably closer to if not over 100%.

Remember: that number is not just provisional ballots but also unreturned absentee ballots that theoretically could have been postmarked in time to be valid. That means a significant chunk of the absentee ballots are likely not going to be returned and a significant chunk that are will be for Balderson (mailed ballots overall are historically more Republican than election day ballots, no idea about those postmarked in time but not received by election day). I haven't read how many are actually provisional ballots, which should be heavily O'Connor if valid (which also isn't a given).

So, yes, O'Connor has a theoretical path, but it's extremely unlikely he wins based on the outstanding ballots. What's probably more likely at this point (though still quite remote) is some sort of counting mistake that gets uncovered in the next couple days.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1607 on: August 07, 2018, 11:29:34 PM »

Guys, this is definitely a loss. No doubt about it. The average voter doesn't keep track of partisan lean, historical elections in the district, or any of that stuff. They sit down to watch Fox and see ' (R) beats (D)'. That's pretty much it. : /

The average voter doesn't watch Fox News, nor do they care about some random special House election. This will not impact anyone's November vote. Except for political junkies, this won't even be news outside of Ohio.

The patterns on the other hand, are indicative of what's to come.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1608 on: August 07, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »

IIRC, Hillary was down 9% in OH on election day - but final results showed her down "only" 8% - because she won a huge share of the remaining provisionals/mail ballots.

Currently, Balderson is up 0.9% - so it is definitely possible that O'Connor will close the gap.

It just remains to be seen if there are enough valid votes left from the 8.500 remaining ballots.

I think half of them are usually thrown out, which complicates things for O'Connor.

I think the best he can do now is to go out to the media and encourage his (provisional) voters to show up with an ID at the county offices to make sure their ballots are counted ...
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1609 on: August 07, 2018, 11:41:48 PM »

"Green Party" is trending on Twitter lol
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1610 on: August 07, 2018, 11:42:24 PM »

GDI it isn't even their fault.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1611 on: August 07, 2018, 11:45:17 PM »

It's actually pretty sad to read the stuff on Twitter. It mainly centers on "How could anyone ever vote for the Green Party with so much to lose?!?!" to "The Green Party is entirely a Russian front" (Alyssa Milano has contributed to that last one).
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1612 on: August 07, 2018, 11:54:17 PM »

It's actually pretty sad to read the stuff on Twitter. It mainly centers on "How could anyone ever vote for the Green Party with so much to lose?!?!" to "The Green Party is entirely a Russian front" (Alyssa Milano has contributed to that last one).

They deserve it all.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1613 on: August 07, 2018, 11:59:32 PM »

Lol, my dad still thinks O'Connor still has a chance and I told him that Balderson is winning the end.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1614 on: August 07, 2018, 11:59:45 PM »

.......does twitter understand this seat is literally up for grabs again in a few months? Only a miserable person chooses to melt over such an inconsequential election.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1615 on: August 08, 2018, 12:11:51 AM »

Wow, Franklin was like only 30% of the results overall, that explains a lot...
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1616 on: August 08, 2018, 12:13:51 AM »

Lol, my dad still thinks O'Connor still has a chance and I told him that Balderson is winning the end.

Did you place any online bets with your old Man just like some of us might place on the Horse Tracks of  Scioto Downs in South Franklin?      Wink

Personally if I were still a betting Man I would definitely bet that Balderson will win at the end as an "Odds Bet", but still I can see his perspective as well since if there is a 33% chance O'Connor might Win for example then in the event you lose he gets an extra gain....

Regardless, I'll try to pull a few numbers together tonight based upon the 99% of the Confirmed (Non-Provisional Vote).... Smiley
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1617 on: August 08, 2018, 12:26:43 AM »

My thoughts:

1. Kasich’s support seems to have helped Balderson minimize losses in Delaware County and get ED voting in his favor. The leftward swing would have been big and Balderson would have lost without Kasich’s support. Thus Balderson did slightly better in suburbs than Saccone.

2. O’Connor didn’t connect with blue collar voters the way Lamb did. I don’t think O’Connor won any precincts besides white-collar Columbus suburbs, minority areas, and colleges. Lamb got many rural precincts though.

3. It is a more politically neutral environment. Lamb’s race took place in the weeks following Parkland, that energized Dems to vote for gun control. Ossoff lost because the GOP rallied to the polls to show solidarity with Scalise after the baseball shooting.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1618 on: August 08, 2018, 12:27:16 AM »

We are, this is visibly less painful for Atlas Democrats compared to the Ossoff loss a little over a year ago. It’s a lot easier to take it on the chin when we have so many indicators pointing to a favorable midterm environment and Republicans barely clinching a race that shouldn’t have been competitive. I think you’re overreacting a bit.

Bagel seems like he drinks too much caffeine and/or takes too much adderall around election time lol

I don't really see many people unable to accept a loss. I see a lot of people correctly stating or in some way acknowledging that losing by <1 point in a R+7 / T+11 and historically R district is not the same as a win but still informative that Ds are finally going to get a very good midterm and regain some power in DC. I also see the usual posters trying to move the goal posts and act as if this race is supposed to be competitive in the first place.

I've never had dexies or pep pills, and I have not intentionally drank caffeine for over 3 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EZb4u5DXko
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1619 on: August 08, 2018, 12:28:31 AM »

It was 35%; considerably above what it is in normal elections.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1620 on: August 08, 2018, 12:30:38 AM »

.......does twitter understand this seat is literally up for grabs again in a few months? Only a miserable person chooses to melt over such an inconsequential election.
No. The reality is most people are idiots who don't think past what they see right in front of their face.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1621 on: August 08, 2018, 12:35:55 AM »

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1622 on: August 08, 2018, 12:46:50 AM »

Here is a graph of Franklin County Votes in the 2012, 2016 PRES elections, with the Final "Non-Provisional" numbers...

Obviously you can't blame the Green Party on anything in their heartlands of Franklin County.... You can't blame the Democrats in the Franklin County portion of the District that was (51-47 D) in 2012 and (57-38 D) in 2016, AND (65-35 D) in 2018....

You can't even blame the Indies or Swing Pubbies on this either.

So what a +34% D swing between '12 PRES to '18 CD-12???

I don't necessarily give a rat's a$$ about this particular election, but big picture seems to indicate that Franklin County in the Trump era is turning into a massive DEM vote bank, even in their most favorable portions of the County....

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1623 on: August 08, 2018, 12:49:53 AM »

They deserve it all.

No, those voters don't "deserve it all."

Especially since, as of now, the margin is higher than Manchik's total.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1624 on: August 08, 2018, 12:50:03 AM »

It was 35%; considerably above what it is in normal elections.

Oh oops, sorry you are right, my mental math is rusty, ignore my previous post.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies