Shooting reported on MIT campus (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:53:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting reported on MIT campus (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shooting reported on MIT campus  (Read 23445 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 19, 2013, 07:41:31 AM »

The local CBS station just had an interview supposedly with the suspects' uncle.  He called the older brother a loser.  Incidentally, I just went back and looked at the blast video.  It looked to be fairly close to the Russian flag, which makes a degree of sense since the suspects are Chechyn.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »

Station now reporting that the police have surrounded a house at Quimby and Willow, presumably they think someone is there, but whether there is someone there, we don't know yet.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:05 PM »

From what I heard, that uncle only called the older one the loser.  Unfortunately, the younger one apparently got dragged down by by his brother. A shame, as from what I've heard it appears he had a bright future.  Families.  They can lift you up, but they can also drag you down.

How does a 19 year-old slip away? They had a million cops/FBI/etc there and he just drove off? No helicopters?

Since the first cop who was shot was the MIT cop, I suspect the timeline is something like the two were on the MIT campus preparing to plant bombs, the MIT cop discovered them doing what they were doing and ended up being shot and killed, but in doing so started a hurried improvised  manhunt.  Keep in mind, the authorities were presuming that the perpetrators would be trying to hide/get away, not trying to do a second attack in Boston.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 05:04:01 PM »

This is starting to seem more an more like the case of Faisal Shahzad the failed Time Sq. Bomber. Immigrants who tried to make it work in the USA then life didn't work out then became 'self-radicalized'

But were their motivations more about Chechnyan nationalism or anti-Western Radical Islam?

It seems like the older brother was trouble. I think his life choices were looked down at by his family, who seem to be the "become a doctor or engineer" types. Thus, he may have become radicalized and brought his brother along. This seems to be based in radical islam. I don't know whether the target was America, the west in general, or even Russia (though wouldn't a consulate or the embassy be a better choice?). I really hope they catch the other guy alive so we can understand their motives.

As I pointed out already, the first bomb blast appears to have been about as close to the Russian flag as it was possible for an unattended bag to have been left.  So it seems to me that the placement of that bomb was intended to be anti-Russian, at least in part.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »

So, how long until he's caught? Days, weeks, months, or years?

How does he survive? Where does he stay? Does he have cash? And people might actually start reporting him when they see him around. Of course they might also report any person who looks brown. Roll Eyes

Unlikely, considering he's pretty flagrantly white Caucasian.

Fixed.  Indeed, he's more Caucasian than most white people are.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »

If it is him and not a false alarm, he's even more of an idiot than I thought he was.  He needed to stay hunkered down wherever he was until tomorrow night at least.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »

Boston Globe reporting that 3 people have been arrested in connection w/bombings.

I wonder who the third person might be?

I believe it's three other people in New Bedford, MA.  May have to do with a women who had the older brother's baby.

His wife or another woman?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »

^Sometimes they are as trashy as Drudge, sadly enough. Sure am looking forward to Bill Maher tonight, though.

Maher tapes at 6 ET, so unless he comes back for an extra segment sans studio audience, The Daily Show won't be covering the capture tonight.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 07:24:04 AM »

Live closed captioning can be awfully hit and miss.  but that didn't just miss the bullseye, or even the target, but it missed the firing range.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies