Shooting reported on MIT campus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:10:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting reported on MIT campus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: Shooting reported on MIT campus  (Read 23505 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: April 19, 2013, 04:23:16 PM »

No one has the right to play politics with this.  At all.  You're not making the atmosphere any better by pulling out random tweets with the implication that they're relevant to anything.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #326 on: April 19, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »

This is starting to seem more an more like the case of Faisal Shahzad the failed Time Sq. Bomber. Immigrants who tried to make it work in the USA then life didn't work out then became 'self-radicalized'

But were their motivations more about Chechnyan nationalism or anti-Western Radical Islam?

It seems like the older brother was trouble. I think his life choices were looked down at by his family, who seem to be the "become a doctor or engineer" types. Thus, he may have become radicalized and brought his brother along. This seems to be based in radical islam. I don't know whether the target was America, the west in general, or even Russia (though wouldn't a consulate or the embassy be a better choice?). I really hope they catch the other guy alive so we can understand their motives.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #327 on: April 19, 2013, 05:04:01 PM »

This is starting to seem more an more like the case of Faisal Shahzad the failed Time Sq. Bomber. Immigrants who tried to make it work in the USA then life didn't work out then became 'self-radicalized'

But were their motivations more about Chechnyan nationalism or anti-Western Radical Islam?

It seems like the older brother was trouble. I think his life choices were looked down at by his family, who seem to be the "become a doctor or engineer" types. Thus, he may have become radicalized and brought his brother along. This seems to be based in radical islam. I don't know whether the target was America, the west in general, or even Russia (though wouldn't a consulate or the embassy be a better choice?). I really hope they catch the other guy alive so we can understand their motives.

As I pointed out already, the first bomb blast appears to have been about as close to the Russian flag as it was possible for an unattended bag to have been left.  So it seems to me that the placement of that bomb was intended to be anti-Russian, at least in part.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #328 on: April 19, 2013, 05:15:26 PM »

These guys were just downright stupid...yes, their pictures were out there, but no one was pointing a finger at them, yet.  They should have just gotten the hell out of Dodge while they had the chance.  Instead, they draw attention to themselves by committing armed robbery, kidnapping, auto theft, and murder.  Brilliant.

But, it is starting to look like Mr. White Hat managed to escape.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #329 on: April 19, 2013, 05:18:44 PM »

Watching the press conference:

- The lockdown is lifted.

- These two weren't the ones who robbed the 7/11. They apparently were there earlier and then it just happened to be robbed by other people (?)

- They don't have a damn clue where this guy is.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #330 on: April 19, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »

I wonder what the odds are that the suspect is hiding in a hole somewhere in Greater Boston, or if he's made it out (possibly to Western MA, RI, CT, or NH etc. etc.)
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #331 on: April 19, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »

No one has the right to play politics with this.  At all.  You're not making the atmosphere any better by pulling out random tweets with the implication that they're relevant to anything.

I think both sides could learn from this. Especially those who are name calling which is in bad taste at the time of a terrible tragedy and the fact that we are supposed to be coming together. If you don't like it put it through PM not publicly.
I understand you guys might be mad at krazen, but stating we need to be banding together and then going on to call the person a "sh**lord" or a "pice of ****" is immature and in bad taste, almost as bad as the fact that the tweet was posted in the first place.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #332 on: April 19, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »

So, how long until he's caught? Days, weeks, months, or years?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #333 on: April 19, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »

How does he survive? Where does he stay? Does he have cash? And people might actually start reporting him when they see him around. Of course they might also report any person who looks brown. Roll Eyes
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #334 on: April 19, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »

How does he survive? Where does he stay? Does he have cash? And people might actually start reporting him when they see him around. Of course they might also report any person who looks brown. Roll Eyes

Unlikely, considering he's pretty flagrantly white.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #335 on: April 19, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2013, 06:01:42 PM by SawxDem »

No one has the right to play politics with this.  At all.  You're not making the atmosphere any better by pulling out random tweets with the implication that they're relevant to anything.

I think both sides could learn from this. Especially those who are name calling which is in bad taste at the time of a terrible tragedy and the fact that we are supposed to be coming together. If you don't like it put it through PM not publicly.
I understand you guys might be mad at krazen, but stating we need to be banding together and then going on to call the person a "sh**lord" or a "pice of ****" is immature and in bad taste, almost as bad as the fact that the tweet was posted in the first place.

I'm speaking the truth and I stand by what I said. If you politicize this tragedy, you are a horrible person and deserve the flack you get. That goes for krazen, his fellow baggers, and the far-leftists who were looking to see if he was a right-wing extremist.

My city was attacked. Someone bombed the city that I grew up near for my entire life, and instead of working to prevent this type of thing from happening again and trying to heal our wounds, people are looking to divide and say "OH LOOK, DZHOKHAR LOVED OBAMA" or "ADAM LANZA HAD TIES TO THE NRA" to try and make the other side look bad. It's disgusting behavior, and if someone's going to do it I'm going to call them out for it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #336 on: April 19, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »

Unlikely, considering he's pretty flagrantly white Caucasian.

Fixed.  Indeed, he's more Caucasian than most white people are.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #337 on: April 19, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »

Shots fired in Watertown (breaking)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #338 on: April 19, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »

Yep, shit seems to be going down.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #339 on: April 19, 2013, 06:03:28 PM »

State police is just swarming the place now.  Shocked
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: April 19, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »

Possible that the press conference was a rouse to make the guy feel comfortable, when really a core team was still keeping watch and actually did know where he was?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #341 on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »

Fox saying there was a shootout on a boat, suspect's down.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #342 on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »

If it is him and not a false alarm, he's even more of an idiot than I thought he was.  He needed to stay hunkered down wherever he was until tomorrow night at least.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #343 on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:57 PM »

Globe saying he's pinned down.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #344 on: April 19, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »

This is getting confusing.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #345 on: April 19, 2013, 06:09:57 PM »

Unlikely, considering he's pretty flagrantly white.

And yet that didn't stop twitter.....
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #346 on: April 19, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »

CNN isn't giving me s**t.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #347 on: April 19, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »

CNN reports police see the suspect and are firing gas, residents being told not to leave homes.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #348 on: April 19, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »

They're telling people in Watertown to get back in their homes again (an hour after they finally told them they could come out).
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #349 on: April 19, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »

It's him in the boat.  (CBS Boston)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies