Electoral Reform Amendment/Statute
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:38:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Electoral Reform Amendment/Statute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Electoral Reform Amendment/Statute  (Read 12744 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2005, 09:42:30 PM »

I agree with you, actually, and I would venture to say that the last election definitely showed that this is a problem...

Yes, that is sort of what I was talking about, although it's not quite as bad as voting "GOP" without even having a clue who the candidate is.  I'm not sure how one would remedy the problem in the last election; most solutions I can think of would get into very dangerous "father knows best" territory.  You could do King's suggestion of not allowing candidates to run as a member of a party, but they'll still have the backing of their respective parties, so it wouldn't change much.

I think that now is not really the time to address this topic, as it's controversial and could threaten to torpedo this whole thing if people didn't like it.

How about non-partisan ballots.  Just list the candidates.  And all candidates for political office must display no avatar for the period of voting.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2005, 09:45:10 PM »

I agree with you, actually, and I would venture to say that the last election definitely showed that this is a problem...

True, although less blatently. You had some people do the "right thing" such as Defarge and Julien, for example.

A few lights in the murky sea of the election...

It was a little bit harder to be partisan in D4, although I will say that every bloody red avatar in D4 voted for Harry. ;-P
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2005, 09:46:59 PM »

Yes, that is sort of what I was talking about, although it's not quite as bad as voting "GOP" without even having a clue who the candidate is.  I'm not sure how one would remedy the problem in the last election; most solutions I can think of would get into very dangerous "father knows best" territory.  You could do King's suggestion of not allowing candidates to run as a member of a party, but they'll still have the backing of their respective parties, so it wouldn't change much.

I think that now is not really the time to address this topic, as it's controversial and could threaten to torpedo this whole thing if people didn't like it.

True, in all regards. About the only thing that might get rid of it would be forcing the AFDNC and AFRNC to choose different names, and in addition to the firestorm that would bring, I'm not sure if it would work. But you're right, now is not the time...
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2005, 09:47:07 PM »

True, although less blatently. You had some people do the "right thing" such as Defarge and Julien, for example.

It was a little bit harder to be partisan in D4, although I will say that every bloody red avatar in D4 voted for Harry. ;-P

Stick your grievences to D1. And keep in mind True Democrat turned out to be a good Senator. I understand the Super/Bulldog race, but TD did a good job, even if he didn't have Andrew's credentials.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2005, 09:48:09 PM »

How about non-partisan ballots.  Just list the candidates.  And all candidates for political office must display no avatar for the period of voting.

I think that that's a good idea; however, as I said before, I think that that's for another time and place.  This amendment and statute are mainly intended to fix holes in our current electoral procedure, not to change things.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2005, 09:48:28 PM »

Stick your grievences to D1. And keep in mind True Democrat turned out to be a good Senator. I understand the Super/Bulldog race, but TD did a good job, even if he didn't have Andrew's credentials.

True Democrat was good, but I haven't seen Bulldog around since.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2005, 09:50:50 PM »

Touchy? Wink But as I said elsewhere I favor a multi-party system over a two-party system. The less this looks like American politics the happier I'll be. Kiki
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2005, 09:51:43 PM »

True Democrat was good, but I haven't seen Bulldog around since.

And that's why I see your point in that race, but Super did win, and fairly comfortably at that.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2005, 09:52:17 PM »

I think that that's a good idea; however, as I said before, I think that that's for another time and place.  This amendment and statute are mainly intended to fix holes in our current electoral procedure, not to change things.

I agree with the esteemed Senator from District 5. We have enough to deal with as it is at the moment trying to fix the electoral system. Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2005, 09:52:48 PM »

Touchy? Wink But as I said elsewhere I favor a multi-party system over a two-party system. The less this looks like American politics the happier I'll be. Kiki

I want to see an old-fashioned primary though. With so many parties people can just go to whichever one will nominate them.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2005, 09:57:10 PM »

I want to see an old-fashioned primary though. With so many parties people can just go to whichever one will nominate them.

Eh, I like complex general elections better. Cheesy It's more likely that candidates will try to get multiple party endorsements, as in the upcoming Presidential race. But y'all can hold primaries if you want - it's not really the place of those not in the party to pick your candidate.

And a tad more seriously, I have been fascinated by how the party structure in Atlasia has evolved from the R-D (and then Prog.) structure to something much more reflective of the ideological and political diversity of Atlasia. I'd hate to be an independent floating between the R's and the D's again.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2005, 10:01:27 PM »

Eh, I like complex general elections better. Cheesy It's more likely that candidates will try to get multiple party endorsements, as in the upcoming Presidential race. But y'all can hold primaries if you want - it's not really the place of those not in the party to pick your candidate.

And a tad more seriously, I have been fascinated by how the party structure in Atlasia has evolved from the R-D (and then Prog.) structure to something much more reflective of the ideological and political diversity of Atlasia. I'd hate to be an independent floating between the R's and the D's again.

I still want to see a long, fought out primary with more than 2 candidates. And it would be nice if parties could run candidates in all Senate elections.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2005, 10:15:36 PM »

I still want to see a long, fought out primary with more than 2 candidates. And it would be nice if parties could run candidates in all Senate elections.

I'm not sure all parties have that many members. I mean, the Freedom Party has so many members in government already I'm not sure where we would even get 3 candidates! ;-P

And not all parties have enough members in all Senate districts to run there, either. I won in D4 because I picked up votes from all over the place, green, blue, and orange avatars alike (the yellows sat this election out, for some reason). Kiki
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2005, 11:08:19 PM »

I'm not sure all parties have that many members. I mean, the Freedom Party has so many members in government already I'm not sure where we would even get 3 candidates! ;-P

And not all parties have enough members in all Senate districts to run there, either. I won in D4 because I picked up votes from all over the place, green, blue, and orange avatars alike (the yellows sat this election out, for some reason). Kiki

No one says people have to vote along party lines, but it would be nice if there were more candidates in general. When the voting population goes up to about 200 active members, it will be a lot more interesting.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2005, 01:23:08 AM »

Ahem... sorry to be a party pooper, but can we take this dialogue to another topic?  It's a good argument to be had; it's just that this isn't really a good place for it.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »

Ahem... sorry to be a party pooper, but can we take this dialogue to another topic?  It's a good argument to be had; it's just that this isn't really a good place for it.

Sure.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2005, 06:14:57 PM »

Sure.

Certainly. Should we delete our posts in this thread after we've moved them over?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2005, 05:40:31 AM »

Nah, it's fine.  I'll probably be putting together another draft of this before not too long anyway, once we (ahem, ahem, people) work out the few details left.

Here, I'll start: do we definitively know that we're going with the random number game idea to resolve unbreakable ties?  Do we have any other options available to us?

I really would like to see this enacted, ahem, before the next election. Smiley  Unless our intent is to just wait until the new Constitution...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2005, 10:13:41 AM »

Nah, it's fine.  I'll probably be putting together another draft of this before not too long anyway, once we (ahem, ahem, people) work out the few details left.

Here, I'll start: do we definitively know that we're going with the random number game idea to resolve unbreakable ties?  Do we have any other options available to us?

I really would like to see this enacted, ahem, before the next election. Smiley  Unless our intent is to just wait until the new Constitution...
Which I myself would like to see in force before the next election. Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2005, 09:09:01 PM »

In answer to your question: none that would be easier to enact. I'm sure there are programs that could choose randomly, but who needs that much trouble? It is the online equivalent of a coin flip, a valid method used to determine ties IRL.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2005, 11:26:23 PM »

In answer to your question: none that would be easier to enact. I'm sure there are programs that could choose randomly, but who needs that much trouble? It is the online equivalent of a coin flip, a valid method used to determine ties IRL.

All right, we'll go with that.

Forgive me, but I've lost track: what are the other things we need to sort out?  Are there any, or can I make Electoral Reform Amendment/Statute v1.1?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2005, 12:24:35 AM »

All right, we'll go with that.

Forgive me, but I've lost track: what are the other things we need to sort out?  Are there any, or can I make Electoral Reform Amendment/Statute v1.1?

Cool. Hmm...actually, the issue of how to settle ties at all levels WAS the big outstanding issue. Although I can't think of anything right this second, I'm sure it'll come to me after you make the next Statute/Amendment. Kiki
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2005, 12:48:38 AM »

Oh, I thought we were going with the random number thingy for every tie.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2005, 08:18:58 AM »

I would have no problem with that myself. How do others think about it?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2005, 01:33:11 PM »

I would have no problem with that myself. How do others think about it?

Do others even know that this thread exists? Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies