Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:51:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 317790 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: April 28, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »

This ad doesn't even make sense to me. I think he wrote a mad lib and made an ad out of it.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 06:38:16 PM »

Why do Republicans always destroy things in their ads? Oh wait, I just remembered, it's because GOP primary voters are irrational, bloodthirsty, and tribalistic. Maybe Blankenship could have had more appeal if he blew up bags of cocaine in his ads.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:00:38 PM »

What a d*ck!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2018, 08:17:47 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

This is really weird but for the number crunchers out there, can you guesstimate how Milton, Fulton, and Campbell counties would have voted in 2016 with their pre-1929 boundaries? Tongue

Give or take a few points:

Milton: Clinton 49-46
Fulton: Clinton 76-19
Campbell: Clinton 85-13

Estimates are based off of 2008 totals and inferring general trends in '12/'16 for each broader area.
Thanks you're awesome! I wanted to see if Drumpf won the old Milton area barely, but a small Clinton plurality seems about right. I also wanted to see how far to the left old Fulton and Campbell would go. Campbell would have just barely been the most Democratic county in the state, just a tinge to the left of Clayton.

No trouble at all! At second glance, I feel one of those projections at minimum is off unless the voter distribution in the county is way different than the population. Based on the old 2010 population estimates, it would suggest Clinton easily cleared 70% of the vote, which didn't happen. I'm not sure which might be off, though. I have a hard time seeing Clinton sink below 85% in a 85% black area (Campbell), and the swings in north Fulton had to be at least several points greater than the county as a whole...however, maybe my estimates for Milton are too generous.

Looks like Low-Energy Cagle is coming up with a new name for his opponent:

Not only is that pun terrible (and I love puns!) but couldn't Cagle at least try to use a less awkward picture? He looks like he's holding in a fart.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »

Clay Tippins has Cagle on audio admitting he backed an education bill he thought was bad policy because it would hurt a group that would have poured money into Hill's campaign if he made the run-off.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/2-investigates/secret-recording-cagle-says-he-backed-controversial-bill-for-politics-not-policy/764972739

Get on it Kemp!

Lol what a colossal mistake on Cagle’s part. This is gonna be all Kemp talks about for the next six weeks

Wow that's some petty politics right there. Cagle really might be more evil.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »

Why?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 07:01:34 PM »

‘Forever Boycotting’ lmao

Also lol at Deal throwing Cagle a bone by attacking the Cinema industry

Hollywood South has been a huge economic boon for GA hasn’t it? Between this and Delta cultural conservatism is proving itself quite insistent on nose and face spiting

Yes, it's a very big business here.  Atlanta ranks 10th among cities worldwide, and Georgia 7th among U.S. states, in the number of TV shows and films produced.  Source

I notice a lot of movies now I’ll be all like “hey that’s Atlanta.” And I’ve never been to Atlanta so that’s how you know they film a lot of stuff there haha

They film pretty much all the Marvel movies here now and have for several years. The OG Ant Man was the first and that came out in 2015. The only two they haven’t done here are the last  Thor (bc it was part of Cate Blanchett’s deal to do it) and Captain Marvel that comes out in March (they won a lottery to get a tax credit for California). They’re filming Spider-man right now.

TIL Cate Blanchett hates Atlanta

She and her husband adopted a baby not too long ago and that was her first movie after taking maternity leave so she wanted it to be filmed in Australia.

My comment was tongue in cheek Wink but that’s a really good reason to keep filming close to home. She was awesome in Thor: Ragnarok

I'm probably going off-topic with this: but I freaking love Cate Blanchett. I have a bizarre attraction to her.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 07:11:29 PM »

I actually met Brian Kemp at a grocery store earlier this morning. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

So he is as much of a jerk as he seems. That's kind of good to know. Yet somehow he is the more reasonable one on policy. Meanwhile Casey Cagle certainly seems like a nicer guy, but is an absolute wolf in sheep's clothing. I don't live in Georgia, but please let Abrams win this!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »

I actually met Brian Kemp at a grocery store earlier this morning. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

So he is as much of a jerk as he seems. That's kind of good to know. Yet somehow he is the more reasonable one on policy. Meanwhile Casey Cagle certainly seems like a nicer guy, but is an absolute wolf in sheep's clothing. I don't live in Georgia, but please let Abrams win this!

LOL the generic copypasta got someone XD.

Damn it, I should have scrolled up more. Though it seems that I wasn't the only one who fell for it. Also I only just now learned what a "copypasta" is. I'm never too astute when it comes to internet lingo, and then when I learn about that lingo, I usually wish I never did. My point still stands though. Both Kemp and Cagle suck, and Abrams should win.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »

The Academy Award for Best Actor goes to..... Roll Eyes

https://youtu.be/rtRYWCYVuxY

LOL at words coming out of his own mouth being "fake news"

What a dork.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 06:39:35 PM »

I feel like an idiot for asking this, but I can't remember whether it's Cagle or Kemp who is seen as the un-electable idiot who'd actually give Abrams a good shot at winning.

Brian Kemp

https://youtu.be/4ABRz_epvic

https://youtu.be/5Q1cfjh6VfE

I don't see what's so bad about those ads. In fact, they seem pretty good to me. He's running in Georgia. Not NYC, DC, or the Atlas Forum mock election.
The outrage centered on him pointing a gun at a teenager (this was immediately post-Parkland) and in the second ad there was hullabaloo over him saying he was going to use his pick up truck to round up illegals. It was around the same time as State Sen. Michael Williams’ deportation bus fiasco* so it received pushback.

*Deportation Bus ad:

https://youtu.be/5Ktq183lSWk

Also Kemp's ads with the teenager are just strange and silly more than anything.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 07:21:19 PM »

I wish I could feel bad for the guy, but he is just such a pathetic disaster of a candidate.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 07:17:03 PM »

Stacey Abrams winning would immediately vault her into contention for 2024/2028.

She'd also be a very attractive VP pick in 2020 for a lot of potential candidates (especially Biden or Sanders)

That's a waste.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 07:52:40 PM »

This guy made a literal ass out of himself. His "impersonation" of a Chinese man was the most shocking part to me. I couldn't believe what what I was seeing, especially when he starts saying Japanese words and phrases. How stupid are these people? It seems like they'll do anything for a Mossad agent. 

The timing of this with the runoff is pretty impeccable, by the way. I'll take any sort of embarrassment for Republicans at every level, in every state. Keep it up, Cohen!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 07:55:30 PM »

Lol are there videos to all this stuff in the links or do we have to wait until SBC makes another Borat-esque film and releases it?

It's a TV show that airs on Showtime. Two episodes have aired so far.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »

LMAO that "SHADY DAVID SHAFER" meme really worked:

CANDIDATE   VOTE   PCT.   
Geoff Duncan   278,750   50.1%   
David Shafer   277,110   49.9   

I HATE David Shafer! This warms my heart.

Has this race been moved from Likely to Lean Republican yet?

Why? I'm just curious.. Don't know much about either..
Slimy and corrupt, had his friends make some accusations of sexual harassing a lobbyist "go away" right before the election, and thought he was owed the seat. It's obnoxious when any politician thinks they deserve a seat due to whatever crap he or she has carried out for businesses and other politicians.

The first Abrams and Kemp attacks are in. I saw the Abrams commercial a couple of times this morning getting ready for work.

That quick? wow.

Abrams ad 7/10. Very good, but not great. The ad uses Kemp's own ads against him,which is genious, and some of those still shots are hilarious. But the ad fails to really grab viewer, and the news cycle at the beginning would have been better suited at the end.

Kemp ad 3/10 Its a typical scary ad, and poor at that. The focus on Hillary is actually bad considering this is one of the few states that trended D when the whole nation trended R. They seem to not use anything else other than she is a Radical D who will raise taxes, and is funded by Nancy Pelosi, like I havent heard that before. Not creative, and rather poor.(of course this ad was made by the RNC.)

The entire GOP strategy lately seems like nothing but telling people who blindly vote for them to start with whatever they want to hear to get them to turn out rather than putting even the tiniest effort into winning swing votes.

That's because they have nothing else to run on. Tribalism and polarization is all that they have, and unfortunately it tends to work better than it should.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 06:57:13 PM »

I hope Kemp runs a pure "MUH SOUTHRON CULTURE IZ BEIN DESTROYED BY COLOREDS AND KWEERS" campaign while Abrams sticks to bread-and-butter issues.  It would be a real test to determine Georgia's political direction.

Which southern culture has been destroyed? Slavery? Segregation? White privilege? Pretty disgraceful for a candidate to say or indicate something like this, but it again feds Trump's narrative "we against them".

That's all that Republicans have anymore. Unfortunately, it is more successful than it should be.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 07:32:02 PM »

It does seem kind of weird for voters to take issue with her debt but not Trump's, who not only proudly declared himself the King Of Debt, but also arguably has more outstanding debt than revenue. It's actually even more ridiculous than that if you consider all the other business/finance-related scummy stuff Trump was involved in, which is too numerous for a short post to detail.

Trump seems to have a superpower of getting away with double standards like this. It's maddening.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies