CO-SEN Megathread: Cory In The House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:18:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CO-SEN Megathread: Cory In The House
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33
Author Topic: CO-SEN Megathread: Cory In The House  (Read 58574 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: June 20, 2020, 12:10:37 PM »

Agreed, but it makes most sense as a small part of her bid for the VP slot. In my view, that's a bad gamble - presumably adding only marginal gain to her chances there while damaging her credibility for 2024 should Biden lose. The probability of this still high enough to be worth preparing for.

Maybe this is overthinking but maybe it's to disincentivize Bernie or other congressional Dems (like AOC) from endorsing Romanoff? Seems like conflicting endorsements would send mixed messages

Still not sure why Warren would not align herself with Romanoff in the first place though. He takes some unpopular lefty positions like full-throated support for reparations, but... Warren has also endorsed those positions.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #651 on: June 20, 2020, 12:11:15 PM »

Agreed, but it makes most sense as a small part of her bid for the VP slot. In my view, that's a bad gamble - presumably adding only marginal gain to her chances there while damaging her credibility for 2024 should Biden lose. The probability of this still high enough to be worth preparing for.

Warren isn't gonna be President no matter what happens with Biden.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #652 on: June 20, 2020, 12:19:20 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2020, 12:22:58 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Warren's odds are pretty low (this is normal for most presidents), but probably high enough to be worth taking in her position. If she was willing to keep her 2020 campaign going for as long as it did because she seriously considered herself in with a shot, there's no question she'd also consider her 2024 chances worth pursuing. What do you think the "Warren Democrats" movement is about, if not open faction-building in preparation for the next set of open primaries?

Speaking of the Warren Democrats, she's also just endorsed the resistance Dem alleging voter fraud in FL18 because ancestrally Democratic counties with a higher number of registered Ds had lower Democratic voters than other counties. A pretty crap list today compared to some of her other endorsement lists.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #653 on: June 20, 2020, 12:28:16 PM »

Warren's odds are pretty low (this is normal for most presidents), but probably high enough to be worth taking in her position. If she was willing to keep her 2020 campaign going for as long as it did because she seriously considered herself in with a shot, there's no question she'd also consider her 2024 chances worth pursuing. What do you think the "Warren Democrats" movement is about, if not open faction-building in preparation for the next set of open primaries?

I don't think "Warren Democrats" are a major faction within the Democratic Party the way Berniecrats or even the AOC crowd are - or even one that really exists in any meaningful way tbh - and frankly, I'd argue she simply lacks the political skills necessary for national-level Presidential politics.  Nothing I saw during the 2020 campaign led me to believe she wasn't in way over her head from a political abilities/campaign competence standpoint.  She may think she has a shot, but unless Biden picks her as VP (and I don't know why he would), I don't think there is a realistic scenario where she doesn't significantly underperform her 2020 showing if she runs again. 
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #654 on: June 20, 2020, 12:31:51 PM »

I don't think "Warren Democrats" are a major faction within the Democratic Party the way Berniecrats or even the AOC crowd are - or even one that really exists in any meaningful way tbh - and frankly, I'd argue she simply lacks the political skills necessary for national-level Presidential politics.  Nothing I saw during the 2020 campaign led me to believe she wasn't in way over her head from a political abilities/campaign competence standpoint.  She may think she has a shot, but unless Biden picks her as VP (and I don't know why he would), I don't think there is a realistic scenario where she doesn't significantly underperform her 2020 showing if she runs again.  

I am a lot less skeptical than you given the impressive earlier segment of her campaign, but agree that trying to build a grassroots movement with branding in 4 years is probably going to prove a failure. I don't think her chances being slimmer than Sanders'/Biden's in 2020 means she isn't going to try, though, and my speculation as to her calculus in making this endorsement was based on the assumption that she still harboured presidential ambitions (no matter how unrealistic those and "the Warren Democrats" might be).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #655 on: June 20, 2020, 12:38:22 PM »

I don't think "Warren Democrats" are a major faction within the Democratic Party the way Berniecrats or even the AOC crowd are - or even one that really exists in any meaningful way tbh - and frankly, I'd argue she simply lacks the political skills necessary for national-level Presidential politics.  Nothing I saw during the 2020 campaign led me to believe she wasn't in way over her head from a political abilities/campaign competence standpoint.  She may think she has a shot, but unless Biden picks her as VP (and I don't know why he would), I don't think there is a realistic scenario where she doesn't significantly underperform her 2020 showing if she runs again.  

I am a lot less skeptical than you given the impressive earlier segment of her campaign, but agree that trying to build a grassroots movement with branding in 4 years is probably going to prove a failure. I don't think her chances being slimmer than Sanders'/Biden's in 2020 means she isn't going to try, though, and my speculation as to her calculus in making this endorsement was based on the assumption that she still harboured presidential ambitions (no matter how unrealistic those and "the Warren Democrats" might be).

Fair enough.  In any case, I agree about her likely calculus for doing this.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #656 on: June 20, 2020, 12:41:38 PM »

Warren endorsing him isn't really a surprise; Romanoff isn't exactly a progressive icon despite his recent conversion.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #657 on: June 20, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »

Warren endorsing him isn't really a surprise; Romanoff isn't exactly a progressive icon despite his recent conversion.

Warren underwent a similar conversion in the past. Her not endorsing Romanoff wouldn't have been a huge surprise, but batting for Hickenlooper and complimenting him on climate is another one of 2020's curveballs, in my opinion.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #658 on: June 20, 2020, 01:06:27 PM »

I just don't see Romanoff getting anywhere close. People really seem to overstate these 'scandals' and 'controversies', the same way they have with Biden in recent months. There is so much going on right now that people really are not interested in hearing about that kinda stuff unless its something ridiculously super major.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #659 on: June 20, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »

LOL Warren. Even her own supporters are pissed at this one.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #660 on: June 20, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »

It's a small but welcome boost for Hickenlooper and you really hate to see it.
What a rat.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #661 on: June 20, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »

It's kinda interesting I'm on the opposite side than Liz now, with me supporting the more progressive candidate. Even though this is mainly due to Hick's ridiculous Tara Reade comments. He's standing alone with Omar here.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #662 on: June 20, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »

I think Warren probably thinks Romanoff will lose regardless. I mean, she just endorsed Bowman for God's sake
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #663 on: June 20, 2020, 02:49:57 PM »

Absolutely disgusting. This is more disqualifying than Sexism-gate. At this point this is what pushes me towards, say, Kamala Harris or Ayanna Pressley or Gretchen Whitmer, rather than Warren.

It's kinda interesting I'm on the opposite side than Liz now, with me supporting the more progressive candidate. Even though this is mainly due to Hick's ridiculous Tara Reade comments. He's standing alone with Omar here.

I didn't even know about this ****. I'm just so ****ing disgusted in her right now.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #664 on: June 20, 2020, 07:51:21 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, Warren just threw a pillow over the Romanoff campaign's head to protect a conservative Democrat running in a blue state.

Can we bring back the snake emojis?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #665 on: June 20, 2020, 07:57:54 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, Warren just threw a pillow over the Romanoff campaign's head to protect a conservative Democrat running in a blue state.

Shes thirsty for vp and is delusional enough to think she still has a chance.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #666 on: June 20, 2020, 08:06:18 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2020, 08:13:04 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

This isn't a full-throated endorsement, but Merkley also appears to have tacitly accepted Hickenlooper's DSCC coronation:

A bad spot for both of the likely progressive Senate candidates in a hypothetical 2024 presidential race (I don't fault either at all for endorsing Gideon, who's reasonably progressive herself and up against a crank in the primary).

Warren complimenting Hickenlooper on climate is genuinely taking the mickey - it's not going erase her record, the great body of which has been progressive, but as with much of what she's done in 2020, it doesn't suggest good things going forward. At least if she ends up playing spoiler next time, this can be a point of reference.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #667 on: June 20, 2020, 08:18:00 PM »

A bad spot for both of the likely progressive Senate candidates in a hypothetical 2024 presidential race (I don't fault either at all for endorsing Gideon, who's reasonably progressive herself and up against a crank in the primary).

Warren complimenting Hickenlooper on climate is genuinely taking the mickey - it's not going erase her record, the great body of which has been progressive, but as with much of what she's done in 2020, it doesn't suggest good things going forward.

I'm a Sweet supporter (she isn't very outlandish to me), but Gideon is a strong enough progressive. She'll fight for us in the Senate and she'll fight for our policies. That's also in general an endorsement of the DSCC slate, not outright singling out Hickenlooper and trying to portray him as the progressive candidate.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the final straw for me. I can overlook Sexism-gate and her staying in the race after Super Tuesday, but I can't overlook this.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #668 on: June 21, 2020, 07:21:26 AM »

I would’ve preferred that she didn’t endorse at all, lol. Not a good look but also I don’t really think anyone in Colorado is going to switch their vote from Romanoff to Hick because of Elizabeth Warren’s endorsement. Maybe like 4 or 5 people max.
JMT

« Reply #669 on: June 21, 2020, 09:31:42 AM »

This isn't a full-throated endorsement, but Merkley also appears to have tacitly accepted Hickenlooper's DSCC coronation:

Warren complimenting Hickenlooper on climate is genuinely taking the mickey - it's not going erase her record, the great body of which has been progressive, but as with much of what she's done in 2020, it doesn't suggest good things going forward. At least if she ends up playing spoiler next time, this can be a point of reference.

In their potential 2024 Presidential bids, no one (with the exception of people on this forum) will know or care about Warren or Merkley's endorsement in a Colorado Senate race 4 years prior. Sure, some people here and on twitter may be upset about it right now, but this will not be a factor for the broader electorate in 4 years.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #670 on: June 21, 2020, 09:34:28 AM »

In their potential 2024 Presidential bids, no one (with the exception of people on this forum) will know or care about Warren or Merkley's endorsement in a Colorado Senate race 4 years prior. Sure, some people here and on twitter may be upset about it right now, but this will not be a factor for the broader electorate in 4 years.

That will depend on how anonymous the new Senator from Colorado is. It’s not going to be especially major or a common contemporary subject, but I could see a progressive opponent of Warren bringing it up with some success if Hickenlooper had a fairly high-profile senatorial record which was ideologically similar to his gubernatorial one.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #671 on: June 21, 2020, 09:42:08 AM »

Romanoff was not going to win so I'm not that concerned
Lognog
United States

« Reply #672 on: June 21, 2020, 02:45:31 PM »

Romanoff was not going to win so I'm not that concerned

yeah people on this thread are acting like Hickenlooper is the Republican incumbent and Romanoff is the only dem in the race.

Th reality is dems finally get to get rid of Gardner Who votes with Trump on everything important and replace him with a consensus dem
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #673 on: June 21, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »

Warren is such a phony.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #674 on: June 21, 2020, 09:41:29 PM »

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/colorado-senate-hopeful-romanoff-hickenlooper-step-moment/story?id=71300903

In an interview with ABC News, Romanoff, who ran an unsuccessful race for Congress in 2014, highlighted what he sees as flaws with Hickenlooper’s candidacy, including his ethics violations and previous comments ranging from race, to his desire to run for Senate.

“There's the video from six years ago where he's comparing the life of a politician to a slave on the ship, there's his misunderstanding of Black Lives Matter,” Romanoff told ABC on Wednesday. And then, I think, more troubling for voters. He broke the state ethics law, he defied a subpoena, he got held in contempt. He holds himself above the law.”

<snip>

Still, Romanoff highlights Hickenlooper's original distaste for running for Senate.

“I mean, he told people he would be a terrible senator, he didn't want the job, he would hate doing it, he wasn't cut out for it. It's a weird way to begin a job interview,” Romanoff said of Hickenlooper’s resistance to join the race. “And then he spent the last nine months proving it. I mean he's run a campaign that's frankly arrogant.”

<snip>

Romanoff consistently points to Hickenlooper’s presidential campaign, where he carved himself out as a moderate Democrat and criticized progressive policies like the ones Romanoff has adopted.

“John’s whole presidential campaign basis was opposition to the progressive agenda, Medicare for All, Green New Deal. He demonizes this stuff as socialism,” Romanoff said. “He ridiculed Sanders, who won the Colorado primary. I just think he's out of step with the moment.”

Romanoff going very negative here... he needs to do this to win, but could this backfire?

I'd like to see more polling of this primary, quite honestly.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies