American History Part 6: Honest Abe Lives!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:39:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  American History Part 6: Honest Abe Lives!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: American History Part 6: Honest Abe Lives!  (Read 16448 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »

Lincoln reaaly is being a dick in this TL. Separating millions of black families is just unacceptable. Lincoln will allow blacks ages 40 and above to stay in the U.S. and have equal rights (in practice, not just in principle), right?

I decided to go all out on this TL. A earlier poster said they wanted to see a harsher Lincoln so there you go.

As for the slaves that are left, they will have equal rights, that will come in a year.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 08:04:39 PM »

Lincoln reaaly is being a dick in this TL. Separating millions of black families is just unacceptable. Lincoln will allow blacks ages 40 and above to stay in the U.S. and have equal rights (in practice, not just in principle), right?
This is based on his beliefs. He personally believed that African Americans could never successfully integrate into American society and would be brutally repressed in the South at some time in the future. Therefore, he believed that African Americans would be better off living outside the United States. The bill itself, however, is entirely the authors creation, at least to my knowledge.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »

This is based on his beliefs. He personally believed that African Americans could never successfully integrate into American society and would be brutally repressed in the South at some time in the future. Therefore, he believed that African Americans would be better off living outside the United States. The bill itself, however, is entirely the authors creation, at least to my knowledge.

He also believed that they deserved rights.  He tried to do it, and it failed.  He wouldn't have done it again, and he most certainly wouldn't have forced them.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »

The Bill is my creation.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »

August 10th: President Lincoln reinstates Habius Corpus

August 25th: The Southern Reentry Bill is Signed by President Lincoln. The Official oath is officially created, and notified by law as the Official pledge of the United States.

The Official oath is: "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

President Lincoln also announces his plan to Pardon all confederate state and army leaders,  minus the President and his cabinet.

The Current Map after the war, with no states readmitted into the Union

September 1st: The House begins debating the "Natural Citizen Bill". The Radical Republicans finally give their opinions on the issue. They refuse to support it due to the harshness of the bill to the slaves. But, the rest of the Republican Party and the Democrats support the bill.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 04:54:04 PM »

September 10th: The Natural Citizen Bill comes toa vote in the House. It wins 125-70.

September 20th: Tennessee becomes the first state readmitted to the Union.

October 2nd: The bill comes to a vote in the Senate. The Bill barley passes with a vote of 32-20

October 4th: President Lincoln signs the bill into law. The first ship will leave on October 31st,1865.

October 6th: At a rally, Fredrick Douglas blast the President as as inbred traitor. "The slaves Greatest Friend has betrayed us, we shall rise up against him" As a result Lincoln issues an arrest warrant for Fredrick Douglas.

Fredirick Douglas, now the country's most wanted man.

October 8th: Fredrick Douglas is captured at Niagara Falls, trying to escape with freed slaves into Canada.

October 14th: President Lincoln order General George A. Custer to be in charge of Army security for the first ship of traveling slaves.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »

Anyone have any comments or Suggestions?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »

October 26th: Arkansas is the second state readmitted to the union.

October 31st: A series of 10 ships with former slaves left for Hatti. About 5,000 slaves were sent in the first wave.

November 10: Major Henry Wirz, the superintendent of a prison camp in Andersonville, Georgia, is hanged, becoming the only American Civil War soldier to be executed for war crimes.

November 15th: The second wave of ships head for Hatti with 35,000 Freed slaves.

December 11 – The U.S. Congress creates the House Appropriations Committee and the Committee on Banking and Commerce, reducing the tasks of the Committee on Ways and Means.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »

Lincoln couldn't have arrested Douglass. 

Also, this simply doesn't align with the facts.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »

It don't matter, it is a figment of my imagination.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 10:09:12 PM »

In that case, it is a good TL.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 10:12:05 PM »

In that case, it is a good TL.

That is the purpose of a TL. Most are made for entertainment, while other strive for accuracy. I go for the former.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »

And entertaining it is! Smiley Great job!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 10:48:13 PM »

Indeed Cheesy
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 10:51:17 PM »

Appreciate it guys
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2010, 01:09:51 PM »

December 18 – The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution (which forever abolishes slavery) is declared ratified by 3/4 of the states of the United States. Even though most freed slaves won't be US citizens, the ones over forty apply.

December 21 – North Carolina is readmitted to the Union

December 24 – Jonathan Shank and Barry Ownby form the Ku Klux Klan, to resist Reconstruction and intimidate "carpetbaggers" and "scalawags", as well as to repress the freed slaves.

December 25- President Lincoln issues his first Christmas Address. In it he states that he is glad to see the Union's southern brothers coming to their sense, but the work is not finished yet.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2010, 01:11:10 PM »

President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »

No Republicans would support the "Natural Citizen" Bill. Republicans, even some Bourbon Democrats (Like Wade Hampton) saw Blacks as a useful voting bloc for elections, it defies any train of logic to think that Lincoln, much less the Republicans would do such a costly thing to their own party.

Lincoln also wouldn't have arrested Douglass without another major uprising on his hands.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »

No Republicans would support the "Natural Citizen" Bill. Republicans, even some Bourbon Democrats (Like Wade Hampton) saw Blacks as a useful voting bloc for elections, it defies any train of logic to think that Lincoln, much less the Republicans would do such a costly thing to their own party.

Lincoln also wouldn't have arrested Douglass without another major uprising on his hands.

As is stated earlier, this is a work of fantasy.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2010, 01:36:24 PM »

But can you come up with one reason why any Republicans would see benefit from deporting blacks to Haiti? Blacks were supportive of the Republican Party, so, I see no reason why Lincoln would want to get rid of a valuable constituency.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »

But can you come up with one reason why any Republicans would see benefit from deporting blacks to Haiti? Blacks were supportive of the Republican Party, so, I see no reason why Lincoln would want to get rid of a valuable constituency.

Lincoln originally did not want to free any blacks. He wants the republicans to control the south in this scenario.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2010, 01:41:08 PM »

Lincoln originally did not want to free any blacks. He wants the republicans to control the south in this scenario.

Deporting the blacks to Haiti would not win him any votes in the South. To the Solidly Democratic South, Lincoln still is a Black Republican Abolitionist, so again, Lincoln and the Republicans would gain nothing from this.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2010, 01:43:37 PM »

Deporting the blacks to Haiti would not win him any votes in the South. To the Solidly Democratic South, Lincoln still is a Black Republican Abolitionist, so again, Lincoln and the Republicans would gain nothing from this.

Why don't we just quit arguing about this and keep on going with the TL?
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2010, 01:49:53 PM »

This is in part based on Lincoln's beliefs. Lincoln, while supportive of the African-American population as human beings, did NOT believe that they, as a people, would be able to assimilate successfully into American society on a level similar to the European-Americans. Even before his death, he had planned, or at least was looking into options on location for the deportation of the African American population. What CANNOT be known is if he would follow through with this, but in this timeline it has been assumed he has.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 1st: The third wave of ships leave for Hatti, this time with 100,000 freed slaves.

January 14th: Texas is readmitted to the Union.

January 16th: The trial of the Attempted Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth Begins. All the conspirators are expected to get the death penalty

The assassin now, on trial

January 18th: The KKK tries to invade the state house in South Carolina. President Lincoln issues that all southern state houses will be surrounded by Army soldiers. President Lincoln issues a statement to his cabinet threatening Military action if the KKK continues their terrorism.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies