Politico: Christie & Cuomo = BFFs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:06:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Politico: Christie & Cuomo = BFFs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Politico: Christie & Cuomo = BFFs  (Read 3225 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:44:43 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/andrew-cuomo-chris-christie-86093.html?hp=f1

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »

The implied question here is what would their interactions be like in 2016 should they become the nominees.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »

Seems similar to how Christie and Booker were like for a while.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »

*bump*

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/178838/christie-im-not-much-different-from-andrew-cuomo/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »

For those who are going to take this to be critical on Cuomo from the left, recognize that governing the state of New York is a completely different animal than national ideology. The fact that Cuomo is taking such an independent approach on any economic issues while remaining very socially liberal is the reason why he's so popular here. The older folks who lived around me will tell you that Cuomo is the best governor we've had in a long time.

That being said, I'm all for good relations between politicians. Too bad it seems to be a northeastern thing.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:59 AM »

To be fair, you're not facing steep competition for the "best governor" label when the last 20 years have been full of Pataki, Spitzer, and Paterson.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »

Spitzer was an excellent governor.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »

Is this what politicians talk about when they say they have a "mandate" after an election?
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »

He was an excellent candidate. His governorship was a failure.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:59:07 PM »

Great, they can run as indies together after both parties reject them as being INOs.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »

What did he do?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »

He gave us our nation's first blind governor.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »

To be fair, you're not facing steep competition for the "best governor" label when the last 20 years have been full of Pataki, Spitzer, and Paterson.

True, but New York voters were excited by his candidacy and haven't been disappointed whatsoever. Cuomo is an excellent fit for the state and a great governor, but it probably can't translate to the national level. It's a shame.

He was an excellent candidate. His governorship was a failure.

Pretty much this.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 07:02:07 PM »

Cuomo is a very capable governor and an extremely talented politician; I was jut poking fun.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »

Unfortunately, Christie and Cuomo are fairly similar on the issues.  Christie is an actual conservative and Cuomo is conservative because it's the easiest political posture.

I partially understand Cuomo's "pragmatism" because New York has a difficult political environment.  But, unlike with Bloomberg, I get the sense that Cuomo doesn't care about policy or actually making New York better.  He never really fights for progressive policy or advocates for the politically powerless.  I can't wait until the tri-state area is free from both of these clowns.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »

I can't wait until the tri-state area is free from both of these clowns.

Since both Christie and Cuomo are virtually assured of winning reelection, barring a surprise scandal, your earliest realistic date to be free of them would be January 2018, when Christie's second term as governor ends......and that only works if Cuomo leaves the governorship in January 2017 to be sworn in as president.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »

Cuomo has a lock on the governor's mansion until he doesn't want it anymore; his father probably wins a fourth term if he handles the death penalty issue better. Christie is a guy who I don't see running for a third term if he doesn't get his party's nomination.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 11:49:38 PM »

Since both Christie and Cuomo are virtually assured of winning reelection, barring a surprise scandal, your earliest realistic date to be free of them would be January 2018, when Christie's second term as governor ends......and that only works if Cuomo leaves the governorship in January 2017 to be sworn in as president.

I didn't say it would be quick.  And of course, I'd rather have Cuomo in the governor's mansion than the White House.  I'm just not looking forward to dealing with the results of Cuomo's policies.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 09:58:06 AM »

Cuomo has a lock on the governor's mansion until he doesn't want it anymore; his father probably wins a fourth term if he handles the death penalty issue better. Christie is a guy who I don't see running for a third term if he doesn't get his party's nomination.

Don't we have term limits?
bballrox4717

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »

Unfortunately, Christie and Cuomo are fairly similar on the issues.  Christie is an actual conservative and Cuomo is conservative because it's the easiest political posture.

I partially understand Cuomo's "pragmatism" because New York has a difficult political environment.  But, unlike with Bloomberg, I get the sense that Cuomo doesn't care about policy or actually making New York better.  He never really fights for progressive policy or advocates for the politically powerless.  I can't wait until the tri-state area is free from both of these clowns.

Define how raising taxes on the rich and attempting to raise the minimum wage is conservative at all. I'd also like to know how attempting to get rid of "stop and frisk" does not stand up for those who are politically powerless. Most other governors' would have approved fracking in the state already; it's an incredibly difficult issue to oppose in the economy right now.

It's always going to be difficult to know if a politician makes policy for political reasons or because he actually cares about policy, but right now, if you look at New York overall, Cuomo has had a damn successful governorship, and that's what counts.

I didn't say it would be quick.  And of course, I'd rather have Cuomo in the governor's mansion than the White House.  I'm just not looking forward to dealing with the results of Cuomo's policies.

While we obviously disagree on Cuomo's policy, you are absolutely right that Cuomo needs to stay in the governor's mansion. He's a pretty poor fit for a presidential campaign, though I believe he has skills needed for the presidency.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »

Don't we have term limits?

New York no, New Jersey yes. My mistake.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »

Two Republicans from neighboring states, both Italian American. Not surprised they are friends.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »

Define how raising taxes on the rich and attempting to raise the minimum wage is conservative at all. I'd also like to know how attempting to get rid of "stop and frisk" does not stand up for those who are politically powerless. Most other governors' would have approved fracking in the state already; it's an incredibly difficult issue to oppose in the economy right now.

It's always going to be difficult to know if a politician makes policy for political reasons or because he actually cares about policy, but right now, if you look at New York overall, Cuomo has had a damn successful governorship, and that's what counts.

Has he raised the minimum wage?  No.  Has he already backed away from a minimum wage increase?  Yes.  Has he ended stop and frisk?  No.

He has raised some taxes, true.  But, he originally opposed making the income tax structure more progressive.  Progressive groups had to twist his arm on that and his arguments against the millionaire's tax sounded like they were coming from a Republican.  He's also put into place property tax caps (a horrible policy in my opinion).  The property tax cap is going to eventually ruin municipal finances and gut public education.  Just think about how California's tax cap has worked...

The other big issue for me are the budget cuts.  Obviously, we were in a bad economy.  But, there have been so many instances where I've personally seen misplaced priorities.  Specifically, look at his budget proposals on preventing homelessness.   

And if he wanted any of this progressive stuff, he could helped the Democrats get the state senate instead of handing it to the GOP on a silver platter.  What kind of Democrat supports GOP candidates for the legislature? 
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 05:43:46 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2013, 05:46:12 PM by BluegrassBlueVote »

Cuomo can get the "GOP-controlled" senate to do whatever he wants if public opinion supports it. Look at how he got gay marriage legislation passed by convincing several Republicans to change sides and how he rammed through gun control with wide margins.

He supported a few Republicans who put their careers in jeopardy for gay marriage. He was neutral on who controlled the senate because it helps his bipartisan credentials with a split legislature. Also, the Democrats in New York are a laughing stock.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »

Cuomo can get the "GOP-controlled" senate to do whatever he wants if public opinion supports it. Look at how he got gay marriage legislation passed by convincing several Republicans to change sides and how he rammed through gun control with wide margins.

He supported a few Republicans who put their careers in jeopardy for gay marriage. He was neutral on who controlled the senate because it helps his bipartisan credentials with a split legislature. Also, the Democrats in New York are a laughing stock.

That's just a little too clever.  Cuomo wants the GOP to control a chamber of the state legislature because he's 1. actually fairly conservative and 2. only cares about own political power and standing.  Some people might like that I guess, but it seems very dishonest to me.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies