Liberal National Convention, February 2013 - Des Moines, IA [Concluded]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 02:00:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Liberal National Convention, February 2013 - Des Moines, IA [Concluded]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Liberal National Convention, February 2013 - Des Moines, IA [Concluded]  (Read 10602 times)
Earthling
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »

X Earthling
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »

Hello Liberals!

I want to change this game, and if you want the same, I implore you to vote for me. My pitch is about that simple. We've elected a lot of good people at their core in the past, but too often we've picked the easiest option, the option we can feel warm and fuzzy about, but not the option that got the job done. In my time in Atlasia I've seen candidates promise the moon and do little to nothing on their promises of reform. At the very least, you can count on me going down in flames trying to get things changed.

I seek to change the ratification process to better bring regional governments in on the process. I want to turn over regional senate race administration to the regions themselves and implement an alternative Presidential election system. Introducing true fusion voting, finally reforming the VP position (something that's been kicked down the road over and over for far too long), and a wholesale renaming of cabinet roles. I seek the unification of Canada, Atlasia, and Mexico, the reintroduction of Repair Our Wiki, the promotion of the Regional Governments board to the front page, formal deregistration procedure, and significantly more.

I will fight for all of that and more, but I don't ask you endorse me for my game reform credentials on their own. I seek simultaneously progressive, and pragmatic, economic and social reforms. Among which are a fully-paid-for national daycare program, and other policies to bring more women into the workforce to further the goal of a truly equal society. Repealing farm subsidies, protecting credit card users from being nickeled and dimed, increasing public servant pay in rural areas, topped off with a small business tax cut.

We can achieve a massive investment in alternative energy, Atlasia's law enforcement, and non-profit health agencies as well. And the Liberal Party doesn't have to vote for an ideologue to achieve this. I will work with all-comers, provided we share a similar goal, and I believe members of this party share many of the goals that Duke and I do as well.

Please vote for me because I will actually fight to change this game, because I support the Liberal Party's goals of pragmatic progressivism, and because I am a hard worker that will have a passion for the job. Along with my running mate, chosen because I believe in him and trust him with my life, you get two Presidents for the price of one.

Thank you.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 12:25:09 PM »

I would like to propose new bylaws following the leadership election.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »

the promotion of the Regional Governments board to the front page

Sorry to butt in on the convention, but this is a great idea - when I (along with all the other then-Governors) PMd Dave to get the regional governments board set up I was disappointed it was hidden away as a sub board - in retrospect I should have specified that in my request, but glad to see one of the Presidential candidates remedying this. Smiley

*is kicked out of convention hall*
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 02:08:45 PM »

x - NVGonzalez
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »

Sorry to butt in on the convention, but this is a great idea - when I (along with all the other then-Governors) PMd Dave to get the regional governments board set up I was disappointed it was hidden away as a sub board - in retrospect I should have specified that in my request, but glad to see one of the Presidential candidates remedying this. Smiley

That is something that I hope we can achieve in the next few months. Right now, after serving in both the Senate and IDS Legislature, regional governments are sort of like the ugly stepchild. They are hidden off in a corner board somewhere where it is cluttered, hard to find, and out of sight of the fantasy forum at large. Ideally, I would like to see each region get their own sub forum, which I hope would encourage activity across the country, but we will have to see what Dave would do for us. Any change would be better than what we currently have.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »

That is something that I hope we can achieve in the next few months. Right now, after serving in both the Senate and IDS Legislature, regional governments are sort of like the ugly stepchild. They are hidden off in a corner board somewhere where it is cluttered, hard to find, and out of sight of the fantasy forum at large. Ideally, I would like to see each region get their own sub forum, which I hope would encourage activity across the country, but we will have to see what Dave would do for us. Any change would be better than what we currently have.

It wasn't even that long ago that we didn't have a subforum for regional governments at all. I can't even imagine Atlasia without it at this point; this board would be a nightmare to navigate. Tongue
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »

Present.

Mr. chairman, I would like to propose that the Liberal Party adopt in its platform support for Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Missouri being made part of the IDS. Smiley

Is this a serious proposal? :/
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »

Please propose them today.  We are voting on everything tomorrow.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 02:55:37 PM »

I don't have the time.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 03:04:24 PM »

I don't have the time.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »

The Presidency is a demanding job.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »

Just an FYI, I will be seeking the endorsement of the Liberal Party Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 04:02:42 PM »

I am going to allow the next Chair handle other endorsements and platform/bylaw stuff.  I have a plan for this convention that I would like to stick with.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »

If it isn't too late...

X Dallasfan65
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »

For the speech:

All I want to say is that I'd like to thank the Liberal Party for entrusting me with this power as your Chair for so many months.  I am confident that the next leader of our party will move us in a positive direction, and will fight to ensure, no matter the circumstances, that the founding principles of the Liberal Party are preserved for years to come.  Though I will no longer be serving on the leadership council, I promise to you all that I will continue to embrace the values of pragmatic leftism if I am granted four more months to serve as Governor of the great Northeast Region.  I couldn't have made it this far without your support, and we must continue to stand in solidarity for the good of our nation.

Thank you, good luck, and Dave bless. Smiley
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 06:19:04 PM »

xLiberalJunkie
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »

So far we've had one out of the seven declared candidates speak, with one on the way who is a Vice Presidential candidate.  I have to be honest, this has got to be the most disappointing presidential campaign in all my time here.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2013, 08:23:02 PM by Cathcon/Spamage 2013 »

Gentlemen. Throughout history, liberalism has had a profound effect on history. It was after all the liberals in the 17th and 18th centuries in Europe that helped to usher in the era of capitalism and away from feudalist/mercantilist policies. This helped create a system in which a middle class could thrive and participate in and benefit from the economy. After that, it was again the liberals that pushed the way forward in terms of expanding voting franchises so every person could participate in democracy. Now, I am a conservative. That is to be made plainly clear. While that may not jive with a large number of people in this party, never to fear. First and foremost, I am an Atlasian and am interested in using government to serve all the people of our country. It is in the interest of all that we work together to serve the best interests of our country. What my conservatism dictates is fiscal responsibility, tradition, and prioritization of a strong national defense. Nevertheless, I don't think either of these values diverge from the tradition that liberalism has of greater social tolerance and more complete participation in Democracy.

I have served in the cabinet of a Liberal president and I'd like to say that we were able to work well together and experienced none of the political conflicts that seem to be the hallmark of what many people see of Nyman these days. I would like to bring that same cohesiveness to the White House should I be lucky enough to win this election. I'd be honored to win the nomination of the Liberal party. Thank you for hearing me out.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 08:09:26 PM »

I will address the caucus if you all will allow me.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 08:10:54 PM »

I will address the caucus if you all will allow me.

Absolutely.  All are welcome.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »

I humbly request the endorsement of the Liberal Party for the Mideast Regional Senate Seat! Cheesy
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »

Once again, I will not be holding endorsement votes for other offices than that of President of Atlasia.  Please direct all endorsement requests to the new Chair when his term begins.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 08:48:52 PM »

So far we've had one two out of the seven declared candidates speak, with one on the way who is a Vice Presidential candidate.  I have to be honest, this has got to be the most disappointing presidential campaign in all my time here.

Maybe restrict voting to
[ ]Marokai
[ ]Cathcon
-Anyone else who speaks-
[ ]Write-in

? It'd certainly provide incentive to speak...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 08:51:21 PM »

So far we've had one two out of the seven declared candidates speak, with one on the way who is a Vice Presidential candidate.  I have to be honest, this has got to be the most disappointing presidential campaign in all my time here.

Maybe restrict voting to
[ ]Marokai
[ ]Cathcon
-Anyone else who speaks-
[ ]Write-in

? It'd certainly provide incentive to speak...

Meh.  As tempting as that sounds, I'll just go with the full list.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies