Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:43:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 305968 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: December 17, 2008, 10:09:28 PM »

Is Xahar capable of being an objective prosecutor against Ben, given their history?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:16:14 PM »

Is Xahar capable of being an objective prosecutor against Ben, given their history?
Of course not, he's actually not capable of prosecuting anyone.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ben got off, its Peter against someone who thinks reading the Wiki makes you a powerhouse

You think he'll plead not guilty?

I don't know how things work here, but in the real world prosecutors step aside and do not prosecute people they are having a personal relationship with.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 07:17:40 PM »

We all have personal relationships with one another.

I wouldn't say that you and I have a personal relationship.

But I would say that whatever your insanely negative history with Ben is is an ridiculous conflict of interest.  In fact, if you do dislike Ben as much as you do and want to see him punished, you'd probably want to step aside just because you remove that argument from Parker.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 08:12:52 PM »

Xahar's letter can be found here:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=90210.0

Thread is locked, I presume, to avoid the thread being filled with "omg you scumbag" type posts, for better or for worse.  Let's wait and let justice be served. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:47:44 PM »

Meh.  Arrogance runs in the conflict all over.  Obviously viewing personal PM's (if he did so) is wrong.  If you stole my identity and used it to monitor my personal life, that'd probably be more immoral than using my identity to buy a book off of Amazon.  Although it's an interesting debate to think about whether substantive theft or personal invasion is "worse."

Anyway, has Xahar chosen a public defense attorney yet?  Obviously Peter can't represent both Xahar and Ben.  Is it Jas?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:28:52 AM »

Anyway, has Xahar chosen a public defense attorney yet?  Obviously Peter can't represent both Xahar and Ben.  Is it Jas?

I have not been approached for the job; nor have I made an approach or expressed any interest for the role. I remain a Senator for some time yet and I have bills on the floor I'm still eager to progress.

And, ftr, if he wanted it, I see no reason why Peter couldn't do the job.

Really?  Both?   Maybe.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »

A reminder to senators: if you don't appoint a new AG by 11:59, December 31st, the current case fails.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 05:17:49 AM »

Well, you guys have less than 70 hours to pass this.

I view this as a test of effectiveness.  Maybe others view this as a test of holiday spirit Smiley  I dunno what you have to do, but it's best y'all organize posthaste

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »

The problem was that Franzl was out of town and wasn't responding to PMs, not that the big P was monitoring public opinion.

I'm off by 24 hours Sad

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »

From this vantage though, the Franzl nomination seemed to be one were you led and the President followed.

I disagree, no other nominees presented themselves.  Stop trying to put down the big P
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 11:14:02 PM »

They'd still post here though, unless Gustaf and MasterJedi agree to delete all their posts here (which I seriously doubt they'd be willing to do).

Trolls get off on their ability to influence others.  Removing that inside-the-system influence could only help.  Worst case scenario is no change.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 11:20:24 PM »

Something is better than nothing, yes, but the problem with trolls in Atlasia isn't [partially] so much that they're swinging elections with their votes or screwing up the system by creating new parties [and trying to influence judicial processes].

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 12:18:36 AM »

since we don't want some senators starting threads against everyone we don't like or unnecessary hatred injected into the forum (it's unnecessary if it doesn't accomplish anything), maybe some sort of secrecy could be implemented.  Like, discussing the person in question over PM's to see if unanimous support already exists, and if it doesn't, tabling the motion before it goes public.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 12:56:05 AM »

is anyone pretending that certain internet trolls ARE NOT currently getting off on being able to substantially influence the Fantasy Election system from through legal means?  Observe recent threads.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 02:55:47 AM »

It was intended as satire, but if people actually like the idea then by all means...

I do like the idea, if it's modified for practicality.  Since Dave Leip has so outrageously exerted himself as impotent, it'd be nice for the Senate to actually have some auxillary power.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »

It shouldn't be hard to also address non-"ridiculous" legislation.

I am opposed to the bill in question. In real life the legislature does not imprison people after a quick vote. I'm not opposed to making trolling a criminal offense here, but this goes too far.

Fair enough.  Unfortunately this isn't real life, however, and it's a lot harder to ignore the crazy bum out on the street.  Also not sure how to define trolling
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 02:31:27 PM »

Can't believe SPC actually introduced my joke act, I didn't realize he was serious Roll Eyes
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 02:24:32 PM »

I wasn't here for your campaign, ah.

Well no more from me!

It looks like No troll banishment act will be needed and that Gustaf and MasterJedi need to be nominated for some kind of awards....
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 06:25:54 AM »

Special Prosecutor Bill

1. The Attorney General, with the approval of the President, shall be empowered to appoint a special prosecutor to prosecute cases on behalf of the Republic of Atlasia.

2. The special prosecutor must be a member in good standing of the Supreme Court Bar.

3. In the absence of the Attorney General, the President shall be empowered to make appointments under this Act.

4. Nothing within this Act shall be construed such as to remove the right of the Attorney General to prosecute cases of behalf of the Republic of Atlasia.

Sponsor: Bacon King

If such a special prosecutor misbehaves, how will he or she be removed from his or her position of authority?  

this whole bill seems incredibly vague and I hate it unless more details are added Tongue

We just had an epic scandal on the part of our own attorney general and its shameful that there are not more conditions int his bill so soon after
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 02:10:06 AM »

I shall then.  I don't know how things work
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 02:23:48 AM »

It's fine. Truth is, you can hang out in bill threads as much as you want. People only get angry if you try to vote on bills.

I might try that sometime, sounds like fun
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »

No more Clogging?

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 02:21:24 AM »

Nevermind, we need to clog before our clogging rights are taken away

Lunar