Northern Regional Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:20:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northern Regional Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Author Topic: Northern Regional Committee  (Read 18055 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2016, 01:29:02 PM »

Point of clarification: is voting open to the public or only to committee members?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »

Point of clarification: is voting open to the public or only to committee members?
The public is free to express support for anything and contribute to discussions. Voting, however, is the sole right of committee members.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2016, 06:23:33 PM »

OFFICIAL BALLOT

Question 1: What should be the official name of the northern Region?
[  1  ] The Commonwealth of Franklin
[  3  ] The North
[  2  ] The Northern Union of Franklin
[      ] Write-in:

Question 2: What should be the system of government for the northern Region?
[  1  ] Executive and Legislature
[      ] Write-in:

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2016, 11:51:37 PM »

IRV calculation of the regional name vote (the North has won Grin):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2016, 12:08:28 AM »

Thanks Dar! Yep, it looks like we are officially "the North" - not what I had hoped for, but good enough. Perhaps our motto can be "the Land of Franklin" Tongue

In other news, the governor-legislature plan passes without incident. Tomorrow (or today, rather) we can begin work on drafting the Regional Constitution.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2016, 02:10:09 AM »

I implore the Committee to consider an official nickname.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2016, 08:25:38 AM »

1. The commonwealth of Franklin
2. Northern Union
3. The North

1. Executive and legislature
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2016, 05:04:04 PM »

As an official Committee member, I second this. If possible, we could do this in under twelve hours. How many people do we need to hold a vote on "Franklin" becoming an official nickname?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2016, 05:26:56 PM »

As an official Committee member, I second this. If possible, we could do this in under twelve hours. How many people do we need to hold a vote on "Franklin" becoming an official nickname?

I don't think you can do that unless it is put into the Constitution.  We don't have the power to legislate on matters other than the first Senate Election and the Constitution.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »

i support an official nickname, but that should be a statutory matter to be decided after the constitution is ratified.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2016, 06:01:46 PM »

i support an official nickname, but that should be a statutory matter to be decided after the constitution is ratified.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2016, 03:10:28 PM »

Does my vote change the outcome?

Seems ashame considering other regions have decent names whilst we're just the North
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2016, 03:20:33 PM »

Does my vote change the outcome?

Seems ashame considering other regions have decent names whilst we're just the North

Even if your vote was counted, "the North" would still win, as it got three first preferences and the second preference of evergreen, whose first preference was eliminated in the first round. Here's the math with all seven votes:

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »

It makes no sense to call our-self the north when other regions have opted for their own non-regional names
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »

[PRV]     The floor is now open for debate on the structure of the legislative branch. Several delegates have floated ideas over the last week or so, but I would appreciate it if y'all would restate your proposals here for clarity's sake. (NOTE: If you want your proposal to be included in any future principle votes, be sure to say so explicitly. Otherwise, it's very difficult for me to tell the difference between a formal motion and informal musings.)

Here's my two cents: I think we should stick with a five member unicameral legislature like that of the Northeast. Preferably, the size of the legislature would be indexed to activity (i.e. the number of seats increases with the number of candidates, with five as the maximum size). I am unswervingly opposed to any proposal that would create a legislature of six or more seats. Even a universal legislature would be preferable to such a system. The idea of districts intrigues me, but we would need to establish a redistricting process if we go that route - otherwise we could end up with a situation where one district is overcrowded and the others have barely enough active voters to elect a representative.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2016, 05:52:44 PM »

I think a unicameral legislature of five or seven members would be the ideal option, preferably with around half elected at-large and the other half elected using districts.

As I stated in my earlier proposal, the best way to ensure that the districts are approximately equal in size is to develop a maximum standard deviation of residents per district that cannot be surpassed (1.75 is my best guess). This would prevent districts of substantially uneven sizes from being created. The first map would be developed and voted on by this committee, while all future maps would be developed at the beginning of each session of the legislature for use in the next election.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2016, 07:23:27 PM »

I think a unicameral legislature of five or seven members would be the ideal option, preferably with around half elected at-large and the other half elected using districts.

As I stated in my earlier proposal, the best way to ensure that the districts are approximately equal in size is to develop a maximum standard deviation of residents per district that cannot be surpassed (1.75 is my best guess). This would prevent districts of substantially uneven sizes from being created. The first map would be developed and voted on by this committee, while all future maps would be developed at the beginning of each session of the legislature for use in the next election.
Although I'm still pushing for bicameralism, this is a good compromise for me Smiley
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2016, 09:21:21 PM »

I back Truman's proposal.  I don't want to increase the size of the Assembly past 5, and prefer more at-large seats to allow for more parties and independents to be represented in the legislature.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2016, 07:00:53 PM »

I'd prefer two at-large representatives elected for two month terms and three district representatives elected to one month terms.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2016, 07:54:28 PM »

I'd prefer two at-large representatives elected for two month terms and three district representatives elected to one month terms.
Five or seven, I'll support a two-method election.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2016, 08:27:55 PM »

I think one month terms would be a bit too short, tbh. This is my proposed election calendar (with President, House, and Senate election dates already filled in):

As you can see, the terms for the Governor, at-large legislators, and regional legislators would each last two months, with the regional legislators being elected on the same schedule as the federal elections and the governor and at-large legislators being elected in non-federal election months.

Having elections every month would increase both activity and excitement, and also allow candidates who lose one election to only have to wait one month before being able to try again.

My only recommendation, of course, is that we change "Governor of the North" to "King in the North"
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2016, 08:37:35 PM »

Great plan.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2016, 08:48:35 PM »

Knowing what a pain it is to run elections, I'd prefer to hold all elections at the same time as the federal elections, i.e. once every two months.  I guess that is something else we can vote on after we decide the makeup of the legislature.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »

So, if I'm correct, these are the proposals currently on the floor:

• 5 Seats, elected at-large
  • 5 Seats, 3 from districts and 2 at-large
  • 7 Seats, 4 from districts and 3 at-large
If there are no more proposals, I will call a principle vote tomorrow evening. There will also be a principle vote on whether or not to index the number of seats to activity at that time.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »

So, if I'm correct, these are the proposals currently on the floor:

• 5 Seats, elected at-large
  • 5 Seats, 3 from districts and 2 at-large
  • 7 Seats, 4 from districts and 3 at-large
If there are no more proposals, I will call a principle vote tomorrow evening. There will also be a principle vote on whether or not to index the number of seats to activity at that time.

May I ask who made the first and third proposals? I think a bit more debate before the principal vote would be good to help make any additional arguments for and against each of them.

I'm also not quite sure how we could vote on whether or not to index the number of seats if we've already decided how many seats there will be... Tongue

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies