SB 2017-151: Care for Veterans Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 08:59:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2017-151: Care for Veterans Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 2017-151: Care for Veterans Act (Passed)  (Read 969 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2017, 11:12:29 PM »
« edited: February 24, 2018, 09:08:40 PM by Sunflower »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: Siren from Fremont

The floor is open for debate Senators.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 11:38:31 PM »

Helping people suffering from PTSD was one of the issues I campaigned on back in October. When I was trying to come up with a way to do it, I came across this issue that's been tossed around the news and Congress lately.

We all know or can imagine how hard it can be and how much courage it takes to serve in the armed forces. And that sometimes during the course of that duty, people can become mentally scarred through no fault of their own. It's hard enough to serve during the best of circumstances, but even worse when you're not at your best mentally. So when I found out that thousands of troops suffering from PTSD, TBI, military sexual trauma, and other psychological issues have been denied VA health benefits that would help treat their condition... well I was deeply troubled to say the least.

The reason is because due to their mental condition, many of these servicepeople have committed some minor violations or transgressions in the field that prevented them from receiving a full honorable discharge. Without that honorable discharge, the policy has been to deny health benefits. Now, we still need to take the severity of the actions under account. For instance, the worst offenders (murder, rape, etc) that receive a dishonorable discharge wouldn't be helped by this bill. But many of the people who receive discharges other than honorable but not dishonorable desperately need the treatments offered by the VA to help deal with their condition. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the military and the state has a duty to treat these people who became scarred during service to their country.

As PTSD has become more accepted in military and political discourse, we keep learning more about how we can help people dealing with their troubled past. I believe this is one way, and I hope we can continue to do as much as we can to help as time goes on. It's the least we can do really.

As always, I'm open to feedback and amendments. I hope we can pass this bill together to help servicepeople in dire need of treatment.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »

Thoughts?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:28:36 PM »

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:38:21 PM »

I am fairly certain veteran's affairs is in the Department of State, not Internal Affairs.

Secretary Mr. R and myself were having a conversation a few days ago about what role spefically the VBA, Veteran's Benefits Administration would retain in the realm of healthcare with the integration and implementation of Atlascare and one of the areas that we touched on was providing these kinds of specialized services as well. I would definitely recommend bringing the Secretary into the discussion on this bill, since it is an area he is interested in.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 07:12:04 PM »

I am fairly certain veteran's affairs is in the Department of State, not Internal Affairs.

Secretary Mr. R and myself were having a conversation a few days ago about what role spefically the VBA, Veteran's Benefits Administration would retain in the realm of healthcare with the integration and implementation of Atlascare and one of the areas that we touched on was providing these kinds of specialized services as well. I would definitely recommend bringing the Secretary into the discussion on this bill, since it is an area he is interested in.

Is there something that defines that somewhere regarding State/Internal? Having it in State doesn't make much sense to me to be honest since Veterans are essentially an internal affair - it doesn't have anything to do with relations with other states but of relations within the state.

Anyway, I'd be glad to have anyone participate if they're interested.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:48:12 PM »

So in this canon, the Departments of State, Defense, and Veteran's Affars are merged.

Included below are a few directives I recently made at veterans affairs. Relatedly, Directive 5 requires all VHA facilities to have a ptsd program.

This bill expands the number of veterans eligible to receive ptsd treatment. I have no objection and as long as the money is appropriated there should be no real problems in implementing the law.

In accordance with Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017, I am issuing the following Departmental directives.

1.) The Secretary of State was tasked by statute to analyze the current VA system in light of Atlascare and make efficiency and cost saving recommendations. As all current and former veterans are eligible for federal Atlascare participation, the Veteran’s Health Administration in the sub-department of Veterans Affairs has largely become redundant. Pretty much all hospitals participate in the federal Atlascare program. It seems unnecessary for the VA to own and operate the number of hospitals in our current portfolio, when there are adequate private market substitutes.. Requiring veterans to seek care at only VA facilities is what led to the recent rationing scandal. As all Veterans are enrolled in federal Atlascare, they now have access to a much deeper medical provider network, which should result in our Veterans having more choice and flexibility in seeking treatment, as well as preventing future rationing.

Therefore, I hereby recommend that all VA medical facilities become independent chartered non-profit hospitals or clinics, with the following 43 exceptions:

The Regional flagship hospitals in: Bedford, MA;  Albany, NY; the Bronx, NY; Pittsburgh, PA; Linthicum, MD; Durham, NC; Duluth, GA; St. Petersburg, FL; Nashville, TN; Cincinnati, OH; Ann Arbor, MI; Hines, IL; Kansas City, MO; Ridgeland, MS; Arlington, TX; Mesa, AZ; Glendale, CO; Vancouver, WA; Mare Island, CA; Long Beach, CA; Minneapolis, MN; and Lincoln, NE.

The Amputee treatment centers located in: Denver, CO; Palo Alto, CA; Richmond, VA; Seattle, WA; and Tampa, FL.

The Washington D.C. Veterans Center.

The Pine Ridge Veterans Center in SD.

The Honolulu, Hilo, Lihue, Kailua-Kona, Kahului, and Wailuku Veterans Centers in HI.

The Kennai and Soldotna Veterans Centers in AK.

The Hagatna and Agana Heights Veterans Centers in Guam.

The Pago Pago Veterans Center in American Samoa.

The St. Croix and St. Thomas Veterans Centers in the American Virgin Islands.

The San Juan Veterans Center in Puerto Rico.

2.) This will result in the termination of VA management and control over 1,215 existing facilities, but not the total elimination of the VHA. I will be seeking GM estimates of how long the transition from federal to chartered non-profit hospital status should take. Additionally, I will be seeking GM estimates on how much cost savings will accrue to the federal government. Prior to Atlascare, the VHA employed close to 300,000 persons and cost $65 Billion per year. I will be seeking GM estimates on how many employees will need to remain in the VHA to adequately staff the 43 facilities we are maintaining, as well as to maintain an adequate number of case workers to ensure that our Veterans get help enrolling in Atlascare and that their payment claims are processed correctly.

3.) Any Veteran who struggles to find adequate medical treatment due to a total lack of nearby hospitals or medical clinics, may seek treatment at any Military hospital.

4.) Any Veteran who receives treatment for burns or complications related from burns may seek treatment at any Military hospital with a burn center.   

5.) All remaining VHA Facilities must offer a treatment program for PTSD.

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:07:17 PM »

I motion for a vote on this bill once the new Senator from Lincoln is sworn in.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 09:19:42 PM »

I motion for a vote on this bill once the new Senator from Lincoln is sworn in.

That will be done.

I fully support this bill, by the way.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 10:21:30 PM »

Now we may have a final vote on this legislation.

Senators have the next 72 hours to vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 10:30:21 PM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 10:36:32 PM »

Aye
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 12:49:39 AM »

Aye!
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »

Aye
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 09:08:22 PM »

With 4 votes in favor and 2 not voting, this bill passes the Atlasian Senate.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-0-2 in the Atlasian Senate assembled

[/quote]
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies