Dozens of Russians killed by U.S. air strike in Syria
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 10:51:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dozens of Russians killed by U.S. air strike in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dozens of Russians killed by U.S. air strike in Syria  (Read 1854 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/world/europe/russia-syria-dead.amp.html

This can’t be good.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »

It is a war.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:42:04 PM »

So much for Trump being a "Russian Mole" LOL. If Democrats were smart they'd stop the dumb Russia Conspiracy, because all it's doing is making their party look like sore losers and providing fuel for Neocons in the White House to start a war with Russia (or its allies Syria and Iran).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »

The Daily Beast has more:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/did-the-us-really-kill-200-russians-in-syriaor-just-a-few

Reportedly, they were Russian mercenaries employed by the Russian government. I have no idea if or how the Russians might retaliate. By killing a bunch of American or American-supported soliders?

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »

Disgusting. I knew the intervention was a hasty and stupid and borderline reckless decision. Thank God it wasn't Hillary in charge. I'd be battling off mutant Bernie-bros in the ruins of Tallahassee.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:49:11 PM »

still won't admit it to yourself?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/did-the-us-really-kill-200-russians-in-syriaor-just-a-few

Reportedly, they were Russian mercenaries employed by the Russian government. I have no idea if or how the Russians might retaliate. By killing a bunch of American or American-supported soliders?

IIRC Russia’s presence in Syria is heavy on PMCs
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 02:59:01 PM »

So much for Trump being a "Russian Mole" LOL. If Democrats were smart they'd stop the dumb Russia Conspiracy, because all it's doing is making their party look like sore losers and providing fuel for Neocons in the White House to start a war with Russia (or its allies Syria and Iran).

Trump's control of the military is limited to whining about  parades and demanding war cimes to help him feel better about the size of his 'button'. That US forces in Syria are escalating outside his control is just one more entry on the list of why he's an awful president,  no some sort of vindication.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 03:07:32 PM »

Trump's control of the military is limited to whining about  parades and demanding war cimes to help him feel better about the size of his 'button'. That US forces in Syria are escalating outside his control is just one more entry on the list of why he's an awful president,  no some sort of vindication.

He has delegated much of that control the local generals.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »

He has delegated much of his control on basically everything.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »

The delegating of military strikes and certain operations has worked.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »

I'm neither in favor of Assad nor am I unaware of the various islamist groups active in Syria beyond ISIS, but bombing a foreign country without the consent of recognized government is a violation of international law. The only exception would be direct attack on another country, that has the right to defend itsself.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »

I mean, they're sending their people to Syria in order to gain more influence in the middle east by supporting a murderous regime. It's not like the Russian government does not know the risk.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 03:40:36 PM »

Hey, wasn't Trump a dove or something like that?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »

I'm neither in favor of Assad nor am I unaware of the various islamist groups active in Syria beyond ISIS, but bombing a foreign country without the consent of recognized government is a violation of international law. The only exception would be direct attack on another country, that has the right to defend itsself.

The murderous Assad family isn't what one would call a recognized government in the sense it was meant.  Just like the Crazy Fat Kid's government.
Joey1996

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »

Why the hell are we still in Syria if ISIS is depleted?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 03:45:06 PM »

Obviously not now.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »

Obviously not now.

You're welcome to mourn the loss of mercenaries.......I'll pass.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 03:55:07 PM »

Hey, weren’t the Russians bad?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »

We have no business in Syria. This is nonsense.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 04:02:30 PM »

For your interest, I support the Assad government because I believe their the lesser of two evils. The Syrian Rebels are a bunch of Whabbi extremists, and if they overthrow Assad they'll kill every Christian and Shiite Muslim in Syria. It's a shame that America and Israel are backing Sunni Terrorist over a Secular, Democraticly-elected government (Syria had a multi-party Election in 2014 that Assad won with almost 90% of the vote). If I was President I'd pull all US troops out of the Middle East (and East Asia and Europe), and start spending that money on helping our Nations poor, instead of dropping bombs on Third-world countries where we aren't even on the right side of the conflict.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 04:03:15 PM »

For your interest, I support the Assad government because I believe their the lesser of two evils. The Syrian Rebels are a bunch of Whabbi extremists, and if they overthrow Assad they'll kill every Christian and Shiite Muslim in Syria. It's a shame that America and Israel are backing Sunni Terrorist over a Secular, Democraticly-elected government (Syria had a multi-party Election in 2014 that Assad won with almost 90% of the vote). If I was President I'd pull all US troops out of the Middle East (and East Asia and Europe), and start spending that money on helping our Nations poor, instead of dropping bombs on Third-world countries where we aren't even on the right side of the conflict.

Kurds are Wahabi extremists.

You heard it here first.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »

I believe the Russian tactic is to have their men listed as mercenaries because (a) the Russian people are tolerating these foreign adventures less as time goes on, and relatedly, (b) the government can dosown their deaths. So this type of thing is designed by the Russians to be as little of an incident as possible. That said...
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 04:04:24 PM »

Hey, weren’t the Russians bad?

Therefore, we should bomb them? Are you stupid? (Rhetorical Question)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 04:22:11 PM »

Kurds are Wahabi extremists.

You heard it here first.

To be fair(?), I don't think the Kurds are, generally speaking, fighting with Assad's forces and have at times allied/coordinated with them, in particular in fighting ISIS and to a lesser extent in fighting Turkmen rebel groups.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies