AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:12:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas  (Read 23520 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 05:53:59 PM »

Virginia, could you extend the fields for poll options? 25 px is way too small.

You mean the actual length of the edit boxes for poll options? Or the amount of text allowed?

Additionally, I'd like to know if someone has posted something after I did, like on Wikipedia.

What about this?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=unreadreplies

It lists all the threads you have posted in that have new posts since you last posted.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 05:56:06 PM »

Virginia, could you extend the fields for poll options? 25 px is way too small.

You mean the actual length of the edit boxes for poll options? Or the amount of text allowed?

The former. I so often had to extend them by editing the source code.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 05:56:42 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2018, 06:04:11 PM by Ἅιδης »

Additionally, I'd like to know if someone has posted something after I did, like on Wikipedia.

What about this?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=unreadreplies

It lists all the threads you have posted in that have new posts since you last posted.

Is that new? Shocked

There two further suggestions regarding polls:

1.) I wish the percentages of multiple-choice polls would be calculated correctly.
2.) I wish there were a preview for polls.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 07:13:19 PM »

^ Nope, unread replies is an existing feature. For whatever reason there was no explicit link to it anywhere, so I included it on the alerts page, next to delete all button.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 07:15:31 PM »

Oh yeah: can we have a user tagging option?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 07:39:48 PM »

Oh yeah: can we have a user tagging option?

I thought about it, but I decided not to so as to save time on this. I can probably add that next time around. In the meantime, the quote system can still be used in a hackish manner to give them an alert.

FYI - For feature suggestions I don't respond to directly, I'm still keeping a list. There are a lot of good ideas here. I'll probably do most of them. Keep it coming Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 08:10:39 PM »

Are people getting alerts?  I haven't gotten any.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 08:19:25 PM »

Update the EVC with these possible improvements.

-County map generator
-Primary map generator (With up to 5/6 candidates with different colors.)
-Add lean and likely state options

ESPECIALLY THE PRIMARY EVC.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 09:19:04 PM »

I also haven't gotten any, and I can recall multiple times I've been quoted over the past few hours.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 10:03:40 PM »

I have tons of alerts. Spot on:

Are people getting alerts?  I haven't gotten any.

I also haven't gotten any, and I can recall multiple times I've been quoted over the past few hours.

Did you enable it on the options page?

Profile -> Atlas - Forum Options

It's right under "Edit Buddies (old way)". If you have the Ultimate Profile enabled, it's near the bottom of the page, under all the profile field stuff. If you have the standard profile, it should be on the side.

I might need to add a thing to the alerts page to tell the user if they don't have alerts enabled.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018, 10:06:47 PM »

-snip-

It's right under "Edit Buddies (old way)". If you have the Ultimate Profile enabled, it's near the bottom of the page, under all the profile field stuff. If you have the standard profile, it should be on the side.

I might need to add a thing to the alerts page to tell the user if they don't have alerts enabled.

Got it - danke!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »

Bigger ignore list
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2018, 10:38:22 PM »

Gah, I show up here.
So weird.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2018, 11:25:03 PM »

It works now. Thanks!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 01:03:21 AM »

Is there any possibility of adding a feature like the one discussed here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=275822.msg5888360#msg5888360

where you can look up the latest posts of select posters (maybe your buddies list, for example)?  I mean, you can already do that by clicking on their individual profile pages, but that's a bit cumbersome.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 01:18:04 AM »

where you can look up the latest posts of select posters (maybe your buddies list, for example)?  I mean, you can already do that by clicking on their individual profile pages, but that's a bit cumbersome.

Well as you said, we can already view a user's recent posts, so the issue at hand seems more like accessibility. Exactly how fast should a user be able to view their buddy list / a buddy's recent post to be considered very useful, at least in regards to this feature request? Should it be like, a button at the top of every page that says "Buddies," where you can go see a list of those users, and then click a single button next to their name for recent posts?

I planned a kind of "control center" for v2 that merges user alerts, maybe a a buddy/follow list, and a smorgasbord of other things people use frequently. Maybe this would address what you're saying.

Also FYI, I added a little icon under people's avatars in every post () that you can click on and see all that user's posts in the current thread. It's an effective way of filtering out everyone but that person, so I think that ties into what you are asking here.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 01:22:09 AM »

Is it possible to increase the max  length of the subject line
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2018, 01:23:29 AM »

Virginia, may I ask why you're so strongly anti-dislike button?  I think that it's at least worth experimenting with.  Who knows, maybe threads will become less likely to be derailed if people express their grievances with each other through dislikes instead of verbal hostility.

Too many people won't like having their posts Disliked imo. I don't really like it either, and it bothers me when certain posters basically start spamming Dislikes on a poster's entire history, or perhaps just dislikes posts based on the user and not the post. I don't think it would have a good effect on the forum. It's not that uncommon either. I don't think youtube has it, not sure about FB.

At best I'd rather code the ability to have Dislikes, but only allow Likes/Recommended at first, and see how that fits. That way Dislikes could be enabled later on.

I would not object to a system this like:

Agree and Disagree buttons.

But no "counts" of total "likes (agree)" or "dislikes (disagree)" in profile. This is a public open board and I wouldn't favor those counts like on AAD.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 01:25:58 AM »

Well as you said, we can already view a user's recent posts, so the issue at hand seems more like accessibility. Exactly how fast should a user be able to view their buddy list / a buddy's recent post to be considered very useful, at least in regards to this feature request? Should it be like, a button at the top of every page that says "Buddies," where you can go see a list of those users, and then click a single button next to their name for recent posts?

I was envisioning it more like a Facebook news feed, where it gives you the most recent posts of everyone who you're friends with all in one place.  But if that's too much trouble, then yeah, just being able to go from the list of Buddies to the individual posts for each Buddy in one click as you suggest above would be good enough.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2018, 01:33:23 AM »

I was envisioning it more like a Facebook news feed, where it gives you the most recent posts of everyone who you're friends with all in one place.  But if that's too much trouble, then yeah, just being able to go from the list of Buddies to the individual posts for each Buddy in one click as you suggest above would be good enough.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2018, 01:46:51 AM »

Ohhh ok now actually I get it. So basically like this page:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=recent

Except only show 10 pages of recent posts by people on your buddies list?

(also wavesss excitedly at Siren)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2018, 10:27:07 AM »

Ohhh ok now actually I get it. So basically like this page:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=recent

Except only show 10 pages of recent posts by people on your buddies list?

Yes, exactly.  The logic being, as Averroes suggested, maybe you've been away from the forum for a few days or something, and you're curious to see what's been happening, but you don't want to sift through the thousands of posts across the whole forum.  Instead, you're only interested in browsing through what select posters have been saying recently.  You could click on their individual posting histories, but having that one big sorted list like that would be more convenient.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »

Can we give all posters the ability to delete their threads?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2018, 05:12:55 PM by Virginia »

The problem I have with that personally is that I'd prefer the ability to wipe out what could evolve to be many pages of discussion be reserved for at least more regular/long-time members. New users are unpredictable, and it would be better for more established users to start threads that generate dozens of pages of content because they would be less likely to delete it at a whim.

If anything, I'm not entirely convinced that thread deletion should be automatic for any regular users. Occasionally we have users who decide they don't want to post here anymore and usually they just leave, but some wipe their posting history too, and that includes all their threads, which sometimes can obliterate threads that actually had a lot of good discussions/analysis. I don't think even most of the threads that would get deleted under that scenario would be missed too much, but there are always some that future Google searchers might have found useful. I never would have found Atlas if some guy who wanted to leave the forum deleted all his NC/VA trends analysis threads under a vague idea that it would give them more privacy.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2018, 04:21:55 PM »

I guess I just err on the side of privacy. The internet is a crazy place, so I can understand if people want to make their posts disappear.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies