2019 Mississippi Gubernatorial Thread- Jim is in the hood!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 03:16:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2019 Mississippi Gubernatorial Thread- Jim is in the hood!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: 2019 Mississippi Gubernatorial Thread- Jim is in the hood!  (Read 25097 times)
LoneStarDem
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2019, 07:17:22 PM »

Let me guess.... the MS Dems shot themselves in the foot ?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »

On the plus side, Brandon Presley is totally unopposed for PSC District 1.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2019, 12:27:59 AM »

On the plus side, Brandon Presley is totally unopposed for PSC District 1.

That's, probably, the sole plus....
gespb19
United States

« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2019, 02:32:19 PM »

Andy Taggart running for AG. That's interesting.

Waller and Taggart will sorta be a test case of how important NE Jackson and Madison are in statewide politics. Both are big in that area, but I'm guessing aren't well-known elsewhere in the state.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2019, 04:59:16 PM »

I thought 2019 would be the year MS Dems could stage a comeback (Jim Hood at the top of the ticket + a potentially good Democratic year nationally), but Friday's candidate filings prove that the party is not in a strong position going into the GE.

Dems conceded a lot of potentially competitive legislative districts.  In my State House/Senate districts, no candidates even filed except for the GOP incumbents.  I find this especially frustrating because Starkville is only of the few "White liberal" parts of the state where Tate Reeves is unpopular and Dems could potentially make gains using the same playbook they did across the country in 2018.   

Also it's bad news that Hood has eight Democratic primary opponents for governor.  Good grief, with that many folks running I wouldn't be surprised if he gets forced into a runoff.  The Democrats also has effectively conceded statewide races for SOS, AG, Auditor, Ag Commissioner, and Insurance commissioner.  They also will almost certainly to lose the majority on the PSC.

One bright spot for Dems are their filings for District Attorneys.  Only two DA districts will feature a general election (District 10, which should be heavily Republican, and District 14, which is more of a tossup).  In the districts without general elections, the parties split 9-9 (which I'm thinking is engineered, just seems too neat to not be otherwise).

I was hoping that Dems would recruit a good class and I could in good-conscious vote in the Dem primary.  Unfortunately that didn't happen, so I'll just be voting to muck things up in the GOP primary (Probably Waller and Taggart, since I don't want Watson or McRae to even smell a statewide office).
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2019, 05:10:18 PM »

I thought 2019 would be the year MS Dems could stage a comeback (Jim Hood at the top of the ticket + a potentially good Democratic year nationally), but Friday's candidate filings prove that the party is not in a strong position going into the GE.

Dems conceded a lot of potentially competitive legislative districts.  In my State House/Senate districts, no candidates even filed except for the GOP incumbents.  I find this especially frustrating because Starkville is only of the few "White liberal" parts of the state where Tate Reeves is unpopular and Dems could potentially make gains using the same playbook they did across the country in 2018.   

Also it's bad news that Hood has eight Democratic primary opponents for governor.  Good grief, with that many folks running I wouldn't be surprised if he gets forced into a runoff.  The Democrats also has effectively conceded statewide races for SOS, AG, Auditor, Ag Commissioner, and Insurance commissioner.  They also will almost certainly to lose the majority on the PSC.

One bright spot for Dems are their filings for District Attorneys.  Only two DA districts will feature a general election (District 10, which should be heavily Republican, and District 14, which is more of a tossup).  In the districts without general elections, the parties split 9-9 (which I'm thinking is engineered, just seems too neat to not be otherwise).

I was hoping that Dems would recruit a good class and I could in good-conscious vote in the Dem primary.  Unfortunately that didn't happen, so I'll just be voting to muck things up in the GOP primary (Probably Waller and Taggart, since I don't want Watson or McRae to even smell a statewide office).
Will you be voting for Hood in the GE?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2019, 05:20:43 PM »

Will you be voting for Hood in the GE?

Yes, unless somehow Bill Waller wins the GOP nom
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2019, 11:33:00 PM »

IMHO - state Democratic party does nothing (the same as in Alabama). It didn't even concentrate on "defence" as such districts as Senate 5th and 37th are almost forfeited from the beginning. In strict sense of the word - party lost 3 seats in House in last few days (1 D--> R switch, 2 D-->I switches). It doesn't run candidates in substantial number of relatively competitive districts, and where it still runs - they are frequently of "perennial" type..

Yes, Mississippi is difficult state for Democrats. It has no really BIG cities, and relatively few big suburbs (even Madision, Rankin and DeSoto suburbs are not THAT big). That means, that a lot of competition (if party would want to return it's former majority) would go in now "hostile" rural districts, which, outside of majority Black areas, usually require rather conservative candidates. So what??? In any case they will be almost always less conservative, then what Republicans usually offer. So - party must actively recuit and support them. But - i see nothing of this. It seems - party leadership is content to hold minority-majority deistricts, and gradually concedes majority-white to Republicans. This way a long time will pass before Democrats will even get a chance for majority... Statewide candidates are (with couple of obvious exceptions) more or less awful too... Sign of serious decease?Huh?
gespb19
United States

« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2019, 02:08:29 AM »

Dems conceded a lot of potentially competitive legislative districts.  In my State House/Senate districts, no candidates even filed except for the GOP incumbents.  I find this especially frustrating because Starkville is only of the few "White liberal" parts of the state where Tate Reeves is unpopular and Dems could potentially make gains using the same playbook they did across the country in 2018.  

Also it's bad news that Hood has eight Democratic primary opponents for governor.  Good grief, with that many folks running I wouldn't be surprised if he gets forced into a runoff.  The Democrats also has effectively conceded statewide races for SOS, AG, Auditor, Ag Commissioner, and Insurance commissioner.  They also will almost certainly to lose the majority on the PSC.

One bright spot for Dems are their filings for District Attorneys.  Only two DA districts will feature a general election (District 10, which should be heavily Republican, and District 14, which is more of a tossup).  In the districts without general elections, the parties split 9-9 (which I'm thinking is engineered, just seems too neat to not be otherwise).

I was hoping that Dems would recruit a good class and I could in good-conscious vote in the Dem primary.  Unfortunately that didn't happen, so I'll just be voting to muck things up in the GOP primary (Probably Waller and Taggart, since I don't want Watson or McRae to even smell a statewide office).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Dem primary goes to a runoff. Shuler is going to do quite well in Hinds County and maybe in some of the Delta. You also have the former Natchez mayor running that could eat at Hood's total in Adams/Claiborne/Jefferson/Wilkinson.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2019, 05:30:09 PM »

Why didn't the MS Dems (whoever is chairing the party) tell the other fools to NOT run for Governor & let Hood have a clear field ?

SMH. No wonder why the MS Dems are a bunch of WEAKLINGS & idiots.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2019, 05:51:02 PM »

Why didn't the MS Dems (whoever is chairing the party) tell the other fools to NOT run for Governor & let Hood have a clear field ?

Some MS Dems are more Progressive then SANDERS to being around HYDE-SMITH
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »

Cook Political has changed its rating for MS-GOV to Lean Republican, it was previously Likely Republican:

https://cookpolitical.com/analysis/governors/mississippi-governor/mississippi-governors-race-moves-lean-republican

(Sorry for the bump, but it seems like this was the only MS-GOV megathread where such news could be shared.)
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »

This aged well
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »

Cook Political has changed its rating for MS-GOV to Lean Republican, it was previously Likely Republican:

https://cookpolitical.com/analysis/governors/mississippi-governor/mississippi-governors-race-moves-lean-republican

(Sorry for the bump, but it seems like this was the only MS-GOV megathread where such news could be shared.)

This article is like an Atlas meme, LMAO.

The two men couldn't be more different stylistically. Hood is just the type of Democrat who could win in deep, deep red Mississippi — his ads portray him as a good 'ole boy who drives his pickup to church on Sundays, cleans his guns and fixes his tractor.

While even some in the acknowledge that Reeves is sometimes stilted at retail politicking, many say he's getting better on the stump.

It honestly amazes me how so many "expert" political #analysts are still stuck in the 70s.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2019, 06:28:44 PM »

Cook never should have rated it Likely R in the first place, but yeah, it’s Cook.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2019, 02:44:10 PM »

IHL process for hiring Ole Miss' chancellor appears to have backfired into a giant cluster, could become a big issue going into the November campaign.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2019, 06:56:21 PM »

IHL process for hiring Ole Miss' chancellor appears to have backfired into a giant cluster, could become a big issue going into the November campaign.

Did either of the candidates have a hand in it, or even express an opinion either way?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2019, 07:09:08 PM »

Did either of the candidates have a hand in it, or even express an opinion either way?

The fact that all of the current IHL board members are Bryant appointees just feeds the narrative that Republican leadership/appointees are incompetent.  Outside of Oxford I doubt this moves the needle against Tater Tot much, but hey Lafayette County almost definitely goes for Hood now. 
gespb19
United States

« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2019, 06:17:43 PM »

The vast majority of voters (at least 75%) don't even know what the IHL is and 97-98% don't care about this issue at all. Neither candidate has said anything and they're smart to do so.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2019, 10:09:49 PM »

Cook never should have rated it Likely R in the first place, but yeah, it’s Cook.
The Crook Political Report.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2019, 12:11:28 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2019, 12:14:32 PM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

If Jim Hood ultimately loses his bid to become governor, this last vestige of Jim Crow could be a major reason why despite the fact that Democrats are more enthusiastic about voting next month than Republicans are:

How a Jim Crow law still shapes Mississippi’s elections
It makes it all but impossible for a Democrat to win in November.

Jim Hood is a political unicorn. A Democrat, Hood nonetheless has won four consecutive statewide elections in the blood-red state of Mississippi — all of them for attorney general. Now he hopes to add a new line to his resume. He’s the Democratic candidate for governor in next month’s election. And the polls suggest that he’s got a real fighting chance.

But there’s a catch. Mississippi held a constitutional convention more than a century ago to, in the words of one former state governor and US senator, “eliminate the n****r from politics.” One still-remaining vestige of that convention is the unusual way the state conducts its statewide elections.

For statewide positions other than US senator, Mississippi uses a system similar to the electoral college. It’s not enough for a candidate to simply win the statewide popular vote. Rather, they must win both a majority of the popular vote and win a majority of the state’s 122 state house districts. If no candidate clears both of these hurdles, the state house chooses the winner from the top two candidates.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »

I think this is basically a lost cause for Dems after last night in Louisiana.  They are also likely to be down to the VRA seats in the state legislature. 
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2019, 01:04:37 PM »

If Jim Hood ultimately loses his bid to become governor, this last vestige of Jim Crow could be a major reason why despite the fact that Democrats are more enthusiastic about voting next month than Republicans are:

Jim Hood is a political unicorn. A Democrat, Hood nonetheless has won four consecutive statewide elections in the blood-red state of Mississippi — all of them for attorney general. Now he hopes to add a new line to his resume. He’s the Democratic candidate for governor in next month’s election. And the polls suggest that he’s got a real fighting chance.

But there’s a catch. Mississippi held a constitutional convention more than a century ago to, in the words of one former state governor and US senator, “eliminate the n****r from politics.” One still-remaining vestige of that convention is the unusual way the state conducts its statewide elections.

For statewide positions other than US senator, Mississippi uses a system similar to the electoral college. It’s not enough for a candidate to simply win the statewide popular vote. Rather, they must win both a majority of the popular vote and win a majority of the state’s 122 state house districts. If no candidate clears both of these hurdles, the state house chooses the winner from the top two candidates.

And this is exactly why I said Beshear would have a better chance in Kentucky.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2019, 11:19:33 PM »

Hmm, didn't know that.

Sounds like Switzerland.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2019, 11:13:01 PM »

Trump is rallying for Tate Reeves in Jim Hood's backyard. Hood said he's not worried.

TUPELO — Democrat Jim Hood told reporters Friday that he welcomed President Donald Trump to his part of the state. And he said the visit wouldn't hurt his chances Tuesday, when he faces Republican Tate Reeves in the gubernatorial election.

"I think the people up here, at home, will stick with me," Hood said in downtown Tupelo, after spending the night on his farm in nearby Houston. "They've seen my record ... they know I'm a moderate, that I'm going to get things done."

Hood, the lone Democrat holding statewide office in Mississippi, is in a neck-and-neck race with Lt. Gov. Reeves. He spoke to the media hours before Trump was set to take the stage at nearby BancorpSouth Arena in support of Reeves.

Link
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies