Yard signs and bumper stickers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 02:47:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Yard signs and bumper stickers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yard signs and bumper stickers  (Read 1000 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2018, 02:31:09 PM »

What do you think of yard signs and bumper stickers? Do you have either? What kinds of signs do people in your area have in their yards and on their cars?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2018, 02:38:14 PM by HillGoose »

I have a "Jeb Bush for President 2016" bumper sticker on my car, never had a yard sign though. I think they're cool when they're not overdone. Although the main reason I got a bumper sticker at all was to cover up the gross remnants of my high school parking sticker.

In the area I live in it's mostly Donald Trump bumper stickers on cars, with some Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders mixed in.

Yard signs right now are mostly divided between Phil Bredesen for Senate, Marsha Blackburn for Senate, or Karl Dean for governor. Not many Bill Lee signs out. It's strange the amount of statewide race Democrat signs out given that I live in a county that went over 70% for Trump in 2016.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 05:36:26 PM »

I'd probably only put up a yard sign if it were a local election and I personally knew a candidate. Otherwise not a fan.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:44:33 PM »

There really haven't been that many signs around here.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 10:29:21 PM »

I have all the campaign paraphernalia. It's wonderful.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 11:32:01 PM »

I have Bill Lee and Mark Green stickers on my car.

While I see more GOP signs in the suburbs, the Democratic sign ratios are kind of interesting in that I see more Bredesen than Dean signs in Williamson County, but the reverse is true in Davidson County for whatever reason.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 07:13:33 AM »

I've honestly never seen a yard sign. Then again basically no one here has a yard to begin with Tongue

Same with political bumper stickers, though non political bumper stickers are quite common. Closest thing to a political bumper sticker you may find is a Spanish flag, the flag of the region or in Catalonia a secessionist flag. And of course the "baby on board" sticker.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 07:20:53 AM »

as someone that drives a low car, I hate yard signs.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 10:54:57 PM »

I have Bill Lee and Mark Green stickers on my car.

While I see more GOP signs in the suburbs, the Democratic sign ratios are kind of interesting in that I see more Bredesen than Dean signs in Williamson County, but the reverse is true in Davidson County for whatever reason.

brah I was in both Williamson and Davidson yesterday and I totally noticed that too.

Honestly tho I've lived in Williamson county a few times, have you noticed that several Williamson county Republicans seem to have a distaste for Blackburn for whatever reason? I started noticing that in like 2014. Or earlier maybe. I don't understand why but that was something I picked up on. Like they would still vote for her but in the "I wish we had someone better" way.

I thought maybe that was why, either that or Dean just has a lot of support in Davidson because of the combined city/county government that he was Mayor of there. From what I remember he was a pretty interactive mayor.

I heard Dean speak at my school last week, and dude isn't the best speaker. His heart seemed in the right place, but he wasn't vert eloquent in expressing his ideas. It makes sense why he was a public defender.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 11:09:55 PM »

I consider bumper stickers of all kinds to be trashy. A quality yard sign can be nice, though.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2018, 07:46:52 AM by Mr. Illini »

Living in the city, there really aren't a lot of yard signs. I guess it just isn't part of the culture. Plus, most people are voting the same way anyway. There were more in the primary.

The exception, I suppose, is the alderman, for whom some people have them in their windows year-round, even in non-election years. This is the Chicago strategy of non-stop campaigning.

I went to Evanston last weekend and saw a bunch of JB signs in front yards. No surprise there.

As for bumper stickers, I don't drive a car. If I did, I probably wouldn't adorn it with many bumper stickers, with the exception of an occasional magnet for a candidate I felt strongly about. I had a car in 2016 and had a Clinton/Kaine magnet.

Many people around me that do drive, however, do have stickers. Lots of Human Rights Campaign as well as Obama and Bernie or Hillary.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »

I used to want a yard sign in my parents' yard back in the day, but now I honestly find either kind of tacky.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »

I usually have a sign or 2 in my yard. I have 1 right now.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 04:06:50 AM »

When I was 17, I convinced my mom to put a Kerry/Edwards sticker on her car and she did (she was supportive of the ticket too). Otherwise, I haven't done much myself. My parents had an Obama/Biden yard sign in 2012.

Mostly, I'm just afraid of some right-wing lunatic keying vehicles.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 02:34:41 PM »

From a campaign perspective, they both have minimal use and cost a lot of money. I forget the study but empirically, they have a very small name recognition effect. Maybe it matters more in low information local elections though.

From a personal perspective, I put them on my lawn every cycle and slap bumper stickers all over my car.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »

I drive through mostly rural-ish Waukesha County. As you can imagine, tons of Walker/Leah signs, but I've seen a few Evers/Baldwin too. The ratio is about 3:1.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »

I have yard signs from 2014 and 2016 campaigns but none from 2018. Used to have a few stickers and buttons from 2016.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 07:47:42 PM »

As someone living ITP (in the perimeter) of Atlanta, I've seen tons of Stacey Abrams signs. Once you're OTP, it's almost entirely Kemp signs. Pretty darn expected.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »

I can't say for sure if I've ever had a yard sign or bumper sticker. I do recall my house had a CPC yard sign for an election (either 2006 or 2008) when I was younger (I actually have a very conservative family outside my brother and I).
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 02:33:03 AM »

I had a vote Labour poster in 2015, and had a RemainIN poster in the window in 2016 but didn't put anything up for 2017.

My area is so staunchly Labour that you only see Labour signs, with the odd Green or Lib Dem poster.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies