Public Office of Frémont FM Scott [Resignation Statement]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:00:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Office of Frémont FM Scott [Resignation Statement]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Public Office of Frémont FM Scott [Resignation Statement]  (Read 11208 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2019, 10:06:41 PM »

With fhtagn and Jimmy both taking their House seats in the coming weeks, and the former not planning to swear in for tomorrow's opening session, a vacant seat in Parliament is now available.  Please message me if you are interested in an appointment to this vacancy or if you plan to run in this weekend's special election.

We really need to change the election law so that people can't game the system by spreading out vacancies like this.   But of course the majority will have in interest in keeping it the way it is so they can shut out proportional representation.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2019, 12:11:36 AM »

I sent a PM as well, but if it makes it easier, I would be willing to swear in and serve until House swear in, that way only one special election needs to be held to fill both seats rather than two separate ones.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2019, 10:53:57 AM »

I sent a PM as well, but if it makes it easier, I would be willing to swear in and serve until House swear in, that way only one special election needs to be held to fill both seats rather than two separate ones.

That's fine.  Fremont probably has election fatigue at this point.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2019, 03:59:44 PM »

Congratulations on your victory!

What are your priorities going to be for this term and parliament?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2019, 09:45:32 PM »

Congratulations on your victory!

What are your priorities going to be for this term and parliament?

Thank you!

My priorities this session will be raising conditions for teachers (through wage increases as well as tax benefits for teachers who supply their own classrooms) and addressing healthcare, specifically whether for-profit insurance companies will continue to be allowed on the Fremont exchanges.  My immediate goal is to target rising health care costs, which providers are largely responsible for, by requiring price transparency so that patients and the government will have better oversight over how our Commonwealth's healthcare dollars are being spent.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2019, 01:04:15 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2019, 01:16:08 AM by FM Scott🦋 »

The Parliament seat of MP-elect Big Abraham, having never sworn in, is now vacant.

A special election will be held to fill his seat May 3-5.

Sestak is hereby appointed to fill the vacancy created by Big Abraham.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2019, 04:39:10 PM »

The upcoming May 3-5 special election is hereby moved to May 10-12, when there will be three vacancies.

After this special election business is over, we really need to consider a permanent fix to this problem.  shua has suggested once-a-month special elections, which is probably the best idea I've heard so far.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2019, 01:06:59 PM »

AustralianSwingVoter is appointed to the vacant seat left by fhtagn.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2019, 04:10:09 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2019, 07:01:32 PM »

Statement

As previously stated, current law prevents the First Minister from ordering new Parliamentary elections within the first four weeks of the session.  Therefore, a motion of no-confidence is on the floor which, if passed by the chamber, will trigger a snap election for both Parliament and First Minister.

This is necessary because the upcoming special election, should it be held as was initially planned, would elect half a Parliament under a completely different mandate.  With so many vacancies needing to be filled, we have come to the consensus that the most sensible point of action would be to hold new elections on May 17-19.

While I plan to vote in favor this no-confidence motion, I also intend to stand again for election as First Minister.  Fremont has much to accomplish for the next session, from election reform to absorption of government functions to adopting a regional education curriculum to the budget.

That is why, in this upcoming election, I hope that our next slate of candidates will run with the serious intention of staying in Parliament for the full session as we tackle this large spate of objectives facing our Commonwealth's government.  The agenda has already been set, and it must be our duty as elected officials to solve these problems now so that future Parliaments are not burdened with a fiscal crisis.

The solutions are there, and while it's a lot of hard work, the first step in solving a problem is choosing to do it.  So get involved, run for office, and let's work together to make the 12th Parliament the most accomplished session of the year!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2019, 07:09:02 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2019, 01:16:19 PM by FM Scott🦋 »

Declared candidates for probable snap election - May 17-19

First Minister
Scott of Wyoming (Meadowlark Party - Peace Party) (i)
Jackson Hitchcock of California (Independent - Sacrificial Lamb Party)

Parliament
Harry S Truman of North Dakota (Fianna Frémont - Labor Party) (i)
YE of Nevada (Meadowlark Party - Peace Party) (i)
shua of Alaska (Meadowlark Party - Federalist Party) (i)
AustralianSwingVoter of Washington (Meadowlark Party - Federalist Party) (i)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2019, 12:07:53 AM »

AN ACT
to recognize the contributions of private school teachers

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Amendment to the Teacher Tax Credit Act."

Section 2 (Extending the Teacher Tax Credit to all teachers)
i. Section 2 of the Teacher Tax Credit Act shall be amended to read as follows:
1.) Each taxable year, an individual employed as a teacher at any public or not-for-profit private or charter school in the Commonwealth of Frémont is entitled to a credit against the individual's adjusted gross income tax liability for amounts expended during the taxable year for classroom supplies.  The amount of the credit is the lesser of:

(1) five hundred dollars ($500); or
(2) the total amount expended for classroom supplies during a taxable year.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2019, 01:14:20 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2019, 05:12:08 AM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2019, 06:11:22 PM »

Devout Centrist is hereby appointed to the Parliament seat vacated by Jimmy and Brughgmer2 is hereby appointed to the Parliament seat vacated by Sherrod Brown Shill.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2019, 12:40:34 AM »

Statement on the Motion of No-Confidence and upcoming snap election

This evening, Parliament formally passed a motion of no-confidence, triggering a snap election to be held through next weekend.  This vote was not a repudiation of our administration, but rather a response to the demands of many Fremonters that we elect a fresh slate of House members with a new mandate, with half of sitting Parliament members having vacated their seats within the first two weeks of the session.

I am again running to retain my position as First Minister of this great commonwealth.  When the new Parliament swears in on the Wednesday following next weekend's election, it will be tasked with addressing a multitude of issues from electoral reform to the formal absorption of state services in our upcoming budget.

Part of the absorption and standardization of state services must inevitably include education, and in compliance with the Return Education to the Regions Act, it is our duty to set establish standards which conform to federal guidelines and educate the next generation of citizens.

My administration is currently negotiating a curriculum that will satisfy those guidelines, as well as working with the GM Department to create a budget that will adequately fund all schools.  Education is the great equalizer in our society, and it is Parliament's job to ensure that each student receives the best education they can get.  Public schools must be held to great standards, as well as private and charter schools.  And we mustn't discriminate in favor of one type of schooling over another, for it is our job to see that all our students succeed.

I promised in my last campaign to raise teacher pay, and that remains a priority for this administration.  Last Sunday, just before we commemorated Teacher Appreciation Week, Parliament amended the Teacher Tax Credit Act to extend the tax credit on school supplies to private school teachers.  Teachers will continue to have a seat at the table in our government.  At the same time, we must have a budget prepared in order for us to have a clear picture of how your tax dollars are being spent as the process of regionalization takes place.

With great MPs such as shua, YE, Sestak, and Harry S Truman in our House of Commons, I am confident that we will release a blueprint, both for our budget as well as our education system, in the next government.  That is why I am pleased to endorse them being retained in next weekend's snap election.

And I call upon all candidates for election, both those in government and those who are not, to commit to fulfilling these demands in the 12th Parliament.  The real hard work begins now.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2019, 09:55:19 PM »

As we are well aware, Fremont's political situation right now is far from ideal.

Not long after Fremont elected eight of its citizens to the House of Commons, not including the First Minister, I felt confident that, despite the inevitable turnover that would ensue from at least some of our MPs, the newly elected Parliament was determined to carry on with a productive session to address the hard challenges that our region faces.

After the departure of half the Parliament, I along with many other Fremonters concluded that our legislature could not operate in good conscience if half of the chamber were elected under a different mandate.  A motion of no-confidence was passed, not for the advantage of any person or party, but to affirm our commitment to the democratic integrity of our great system.

An unfortunate turn of events led to the current situation of an election that will send just three of our citizens to the new government.  This is a challenge, as our Speaker recently stated, with so much set for the new agenda.  I confess that I have little confidence in a three-member chamber to adequately address the issues of education, regionalization, budgeting, and now electoral reform, even with outside input.

However, it has become clear that reforming our elections is necessary so that we maintain a Parliament that is neither too large nor too small, but reflective of population and activity.  Therefore, at this time I intend to propose, if I am returned to Parliament next week as your First Minister, an amendment to establish both a minimum and maximum cap for the number of seats in the House of Commons.  This amendment is based on ideas proposed by Chief of Staff ASV and former MP Sestak.

The system I am proposing will follow this formula: no fewer than four MPs shall be elected, excluding the First Minister.  If six or fewer candidates for the House of Commons declare, four will be elected.  If seven or eight candidates declare, five will be elected.  If nine or more candidates declare, six shall be elected.

It is my hope that after the election, we might begin debating this proposal as soon as a Speaker is elected.

Polls, of course, are still open, and it is my hope that Speaker YE, MP Truman, and myself will be returned to Denver in the 12th Session to continue the work of the people.

Thank you.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2019, 09:58:41 PM »

I would also like to express my condolences to Bill Walker, who dropped out.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 PM »

I would also like to express my condolences to Bill Walker, who dropped out.

Deeply Disturbing!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2019, 01:01:52 AM »

Some thoughts on education funding.

As most of you probably know, I grew up in Connecticut.  In Connecticut, school districts are mostly municipal-based and therefore are funded by town property taxes.  As a result, the education system in Connecticut is quite segregated by race and class.

Many politicians, in real life, have proposed that the state regionalize school districts along the lines of probate court districts and largely equalize funding.  I discussed this with a mutual friend who, like me, grew up in a mostly white, wealthy town with great public schools.  We agreed that regionalization is a good idea.  It would relieve the heavy tax burdens felt by residents in some towns, and it would be a potential force for racial justice that isn't as widely opposed as busing seems to be in New England.

What does this mean for Fremont?  As a region that is more complex and diverse than Connecticut, we can adopt an education funding system that both (formally) relieves "triple-taxation" (a practice that, we discovered last month, all regions have used) on residents, and equalize school funding so that all students may receive a quality education regardless of their state or zip code.

This is not a formal proposal and I anticipate a rigorous debate when the next Parliament convenes.  Our legislators must create a budget that reflects our values, and that includes giving everyone a seat at the table when these negotiations take place.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2019, 07:29:14 AM »

The snap election has concluded and, in an unsuspected turn of events, both MP Truman and Speaker YE prevailed over MP ASV in their reelections to Parliament.  An interesting result for sure.  Yes, Fremont may be uber left-wing.  It may occasionally be dysfunctional.  One thing it's not, however, is boring.

I congratulate MP Truman and Speaker YE on winning reelection and wish the best for ASV.  From the start of this election I knew that, no matter who won those two seats, Fremont would have inadequate representation as we take on this large agenda in the next Parliament.  Certainly, I hope that expanding the Parliament will be on the table when we consider election reform.  And I encourage center-right Fremonters like shua and ASV to offer their input on our upcoming initiatives.  Those who are in the minority deserve a seat at the table, too.

Lastly, I would like to thank the voters of Fremont for reelecting me as their First Minister, and I thank Jackson Hitchcock for not letting this important election go uncontested.

Next, we proceed on our mission to deliver a budget and an education system that reflects our values and serves all Fremonters. 
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2019, 02:55:54 PM »

In accordance with Fremont's Constitution, a public referendum for the Presidential Signature Amendment will be held this weekend.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2019, 05:43:39 PM by FM Scott🦋 »

On the first day of the next session of Parliament, I will be submitting the following amendment to our Constitution, which, applied retroactively, will allow us to expand our Parliament by two seats:

AN AMENDMENT
To establish a floor for the number of candidates to be elected to the House of Commons, and to expand the present number of seats in Parliament.

Section 1: Title

This legislation may be cited as the Parliament Enumeration Amendment 2.0.

Section 2: Amendment Text

Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Fremont is hereby amended:

Section 3. Every Parliament shall continue for three months from the first meeting of the House, and no longer, but may be sooner dissolved by the First Minister, pursuant to certain provisions as established in this Constitution. The number of members to be chosen shall be one less than the number of candidates for election. However, when the number of candidates is eight or more, the number of elected members shall be seven. no fewer than four, not counting the First Minister.  If seven or eight candidates declare, five will be elected.  If nine or more candidates declare, six shall be elected.  If, however, fewer than four candidates declare for House of Commons before a snap or general election, the election shall be postponed until at least four candidates have declared.

Section 3: Effectiveness

This amendment shall apply immediately upon ratification, and a special election shall be held the following week for the election of two (2) Members of Parliament.

I encourage Fremont citizens and legislators to make their opinions known ASAP, as I intend for both amendments to our constitutions to be voted on in the same weekend.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies