Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:54:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 137615 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2019, 02:27:41 PM »

"I was born in another such moment, in the early 80s when a half-century of New Deal liberalism gave way to forty years of Reagan supply-side conservatism that created the terms for how Democrats -- as well as Republicans -- made policy. And that era, too, is now over."

MKIA
Thatkat04
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2019, 02:28:12 PM »

This man is great.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2019, 02:30:41 PM »

The Cory Bookers, Amy Klobuchars, Eric Swalwells etc. can pack their bags already and audition for VP candidate of your next POTUS ...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2019, 02:32:11 PM »

His 'what is freedom' line is really good.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2019, 02:38:48 PM »

I've been watching this speech, and I can say this man has more charisma and is better at speaking than most of the other Democratic candidates.

I would dare say he comes close to being a white Obama.
History505
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2019, 02:41:05 PM »

I've been watching this speech, and I can say this man has more charisma and is better at speaking than most of the other Democratic candidates.

No, he comes close to being Buttigieg. Nobody is going to ever be like Obama.
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2019, 02:44:16 PM »

No, he comes close to being Buttigieg. Nobody is going to ever be like Obama.

I certainly think Pete is more charismatic than O'Rourke, who I've also seen compared to Obama.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2019, 02:45:09 PM »

He‘s like a gay white version of Obama, with a shot of Sheldon Cooper.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2019, 02:49:21 PM »

I think he would make a terrific nominee for the Democratic Party.
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2019, 02:52:57 PM »

He's too moderate for me, but I think he would almost definitely beat Trump if he won the nomination, just going off his speeches and charisma.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2019, 02:54:40 PM »

He's too moderate for me, but I think he would almost definitely beat Trump if he won the nomination, just going off his speeches and charisma.

My mom, one of the most diehard Trump supporters you could ever meet, said that while she would never vote for him in a million years, he is incredibly intelligent and a refreshing change of pace from mainstream Democrats.

But she did not like that he "attacked" Pence for his religious beliefs.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2019, 02:54:49 PM »

He's unabashedly millennial.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »

Obama was also watching Pete’s speech on CNN and he was like:

Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »

Buttigieg's rhetoric is fresh and authentic. He's perfectly in line with his party, and yet he does not sound like another Democrat. I think that explains much of his appeal.

...especially because it contrasts with the rest of the field. That's not to say that the other candidates don't have distinct voices, but ultimately they sound like echoes of Obama and Clinton, with just a pinch of Sanders thrown in for zest.

Even Beto, one of the most colorful speakers, usually comes across as someone doing an outlandishly verbose stream-of-consciousness Obama impersonation. Obama through a funhouse mirror, maybe, but still Obama. If Buttigieg breaks through, he would be defining a new lexicon for the party - and that's sorely needed when you consider how different our politics are compared to twelve years ago.

I remember reading some comment essentially comparing Beto O'Rourke to Rubio, and I think it was pretty spot on.

In contrast, while I am best described as a "centrist libertarian" (who also used to identify as a moderate republican) I think Buttigieg is more authentic and provides an optimistic vision for America in his speeches and interviews. The democrats are certainly not doomed at all if he doesn't win the primaries, but I think Buttigieg would be a very good nominee. At least FAAAAR better than O'Rourke.

EDIT: At the very least, he should definitely be the Vice Presidential nominee.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »

Buttigieg's rhetoric is fresh and authentic. He's perfectly in line with his party, and yet he does not sound like another Democrat. I think that explains much of his appeal.

...especially because it contrasts with the rest of the field. That's not to say that the other candidates don't have distinct voices, but ultimately they sound like echoes of Obama and Clinton, with just a pinch of Sanders thrown in for zest.

Even Beto, one of the most colorful speakers, usually comes across as someone doing an outlandishly verbose stream-of-consciousness Obama impersonation. Obama through a funhouse mirror, maybe, but still Obama. If Buttigieg breaks through, he would be defining a new lexicon for the party - and that's sorely needed when you consider how different our politics are compared to twelve years ago.

I remember reading some comment essentially comparing Beto O'Rourke to Rubio, and I think it was pretty spot on.

In contrast, while I am best described as a "centrist libertarian" (who also used to identify as a moderate republican) I think Buttigieg is more authentic and provides an optimistic vision for America in his speeches and interviews. The democrats are certainly not doomed at all if he doesn't win the primaries, but I think Buttigieg would be a very good nominee. At least FAAAAR better than O'Rourke.

If it weren't for the fact that the identity politics wing of the base would be bitter and salty over it, I think O'Rourke/Buttigieg or Buttigieg/O'Rourke would make a superb ticket.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »

If it weren't for the fact that the identity politics wing of the base would be bitter and salty over it, I think O'Rourke/Buttigieg or Buttigieg/O'Rourke would make a superb ticket.
Please stop perpetuating this awful term created to silence the opinions of historically marginalized groups. All politics revolve around identity.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »

Beto O'Rourke is the very definition of an identity politics candidate.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2019, 03:16:09 PM »

My mom, one of the most diehard Trump supporters you could ever meet, said that while she would never vote for him in a million years, he is incredibly intelligent and a refreshing change of pace from mainstream Democrats.

But she did not like that he "attacked" Pence for his religious beliefs.

I don't understand how Republicans are overreacting so much to the Pence attack. I didn't love it, but it seemed pretty dull by attack standards. Very thin skinned. Of course Democrats overestimate his "homophobia" as a fear tactic to get young people to the voting booth. But Buttigieg barely even spoke up against it.

Everything else is spot on. It's hard to craft a coherent attack against him without looking deranged
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »

Please stop perpetuating this awful term created to silence the opinions of historically marginalized groups. All politics revolve around identity.
You know damned well what I'm referring to.

"Mayor Pete and Beto can't be on the ticket!  ThEy'Re bOtH WhItE mEn!!!  pAtRiArChY!!!!  wHiTe PaTRiARcHY!!!"
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »

Austin mayor endorses him over O’rourke
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »

You know damned well what I'm referring to.

"Mayor Pete and Beto can't be on the ticket!  ThEy'Re bOtH WhItE mEn!!!  pAtRiArChY!!!!  wHiTe PaTRiARcHY!!!"

No one, except 100 people on Twitter are saying this. Or have ever said this. There are millions of right-wing Republicans playing identity politics in safe spaces every Sunday. They've been remarkably successful in pretending the other side are the ones playing that game.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2019, 04:30:28 PM »

Well rightly or wrongly, I think a Democratic ticket with two white males would be a difficult sell to the party. Perhaps Buttigieg's homosexuality would mitigate that somewhat, but in a historically diverse field like this I think diversity of the ticket has to be a factor the eventual nominee considers when making their choice.

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »

Well rightly or wrongly, I think a Democratic ticket with two white males would be a difficult sell to the party. Perhaps Buttigieg's homosexuality would mitigate that somewhat, but in a historically diverse field like this I think diversity of the ticket has to be a factor the eventual nominee considers when making their choice.

That's what I'm referring to.  Some black, Latino, and young female voters would stay home due to Pete and Beto's identities as opposed to their politics.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2019, 06:09:46 PM »

No offense, but we don't need blue or yellow avatars to tell us whether our ticket is "diverse enough" or not.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2019, 06:34:46 PM »

This rally is a disaster. Every single guest speaker bar maybe the mayor is a nobody, and they just waited half an hour in between speeches from random people in his personal life.

He was late because he was speaking to the 1,500 people in the overflow crowd first, who were out in the freezing rain outside the main rally.

Overall there were about 10,000 people in attendance, according to what I heard on MSNBC.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies