Any dems on here feeling overwhelmed and completely undecided on who to support?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 07:51:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Any dems on here feeling overwhelmed and completely undecided on who to support?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Any dems on here feeling overwhelmed and completely undecided on who to support?  (Read 1880 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:37:24 PM »

In the crowded primary so far?

I'll be watching obviously as a someone in the stands as I am a republican without a horse in the dem primary, but there are so many options to choose from.

I do wonder whether tulsi gabbard is being undervalued. She is the most unique of all declared ones so far, and early on, there will be lots of split support, so you can go far with only like 20-25% supporting you. Her foreign policy could be refreshing to dems who still are very much against interventionism.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:38:05 PM »

Oh look yet another thread where a blue avatar praises Tulsi.

We get it people.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 04:30:45 AM »

Oh look yet another thread where a blue avatar praises Tulsi.

We get it people.

Basically. It is super weird going between facebook and here and seeing the fringe lefties (who think Sanders is too main stream, maaaaan) and the R's/L's here both loving the same candidate. Though in one case its because they can actually look at her and go 'hey, this person is basically like me but just happens to talk like a Democrat, so maybe they'd be a good option?'. And in the other they voted for Stein last time because you gotta believe the impossible can happen sometimes I guess if you believe in it hard enough?

As for the actual question of the thread: overwhelmed? Not really. I haven't pinned down solid support yet mainly because I want to have a better field about who's the least bit relevant to my interests and who's prone to shooting themselves in the foot before I waste time on them. Or in other words: I need more information and that won't come out all at the start of the process. Will probably wait until either the first debate or I get hired by the one campaign I applied to for a job. :-p

Because if they hire me, that might mean they know what they're doing. ;3
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 05:16:06 AM »

Not really.

A month ago I thought Kamala Harris looked really good on paper, but was questioning how she would be on the campaign trail. So far she has more than met my expectations, so she has my support for now.

I also thought Beto looked good on paper and it remains to see how his campign will roll out.

So Harris and Beto look the best to me, but I'd happily switch my support if somebody else proves formidable. Basically, I support whoever I deem has the best chances of beating Trump. This is far more important than anything else, so I am totally willing to overlook policy positions I might disagree with.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:28:34 AM »

Nope, of the declared candidates I'm supporting Warren (waiting to see if Bernie runs tho)

I don't see Tulsi expanding beyond a very small base of supporters, she'll be the Ron Paul of 2020
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 06:13:10 AM »

1. Sanders

If he doesn't run it gets more difficult.

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:41:07 AM »

Definitely not yet. The first votes aren't cast for a year.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 11:19:55 AM »

1. Sanders

If he doesn't run it gets more difficult.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »

Nope, I like most of the candidates who have declared so far. And I'm going to vote for whomever wins the nomination anyway.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:36 PM »

Not a dem but that is how I will vote. A little bit. Which is why I decided not to follow the tea leaves thread as closely as I did in past elections. I'm going with Harris for now but will happily re-evalute once the debates start. It will probably be one of the women. I just think that's way overdue, especially with what happened in 2016, and there is a strong slate already. I don't dislike Gabbard, but I doubt she will win the nomination.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 12:13:23 PM »

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 12:15:20 PM »

not a dem but i like that Sanders fella...especially after he took time out to express his fondness for Duff beer
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 12:16:24 PM »

Not really. There are some absolutely-will-never-support candidates (Gabbard, in particular) and some candidates who I think would be serious mistakes to nominate even if I don't personally dislike them (Warren, in particular), and I do have my preferences among the others, but I don't feel overwhelmed. I have my first choice who I will probably end up voting for in the primary but if that candidate doesn't make it through to the New York primary, I think I can choose among the others without difficulty.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »

It doesn't bother me to have so many (mostly good) choices if that's what you are asking, since I will still line up behind any of them in the GE.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 01:37:56 PM »

Bernie
Warren

Gillibrand

Everyone else
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »

Why is Bernie first? I am pretty sure Warren has the more progressive platform now.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »

Why is Bernie first? I am pretty sure Warren has the more progressive platform now.
He’s more electable by virtue of not having a scandal hanging or his head like Warren and her heritage.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 02:18:15 PM »

If a more progressive platform includes voting for most of the military increases under the Trump administration, then yes.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 06:31:57 PM »

Nope
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 08:00:59 PM »

I'm actually pretty torn now. I was a big Klobuchar fan, but the abuse against her staff has really turned me off. I like Jay Inslee, but he is irrelevant. Other than that, I don't know who I will support yet. I'm going to let the primary play out some more before I make a decision. There are some people who I know I won't be supporting, like Sanders, and I am 100% dead set against Tulsi Gabbard, but other than that I am open to most of them.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 08:26:39 PM »

He’s more electable by virtue of not having a scandal hanging or his head like Warren and her heritage.
I would say Bernie is more electable. DK his chances in a primary splitting the vote with Warren, though.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 10:24:15 PM »

Overwhelmed? No. Undecided? Yes
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 11:15:02 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 02:39:05 AM by Da2017 »

1.Kamala Harris Top choice. Most genuine of the all the field. She was candid in her recent breakfast club interview.
2.Beto O Rourke Another Fresh Face. Young dynamic.

Others
1. Amy Klobouchar Her treatment of her staff gives me a lot of pause. I found some of it to be disturbing.
2. Kirsten Gillibrand Falls easily in to charges of in-authenticity.Comes off scripted. Draws Hillary comparisions.
3. Cory Booker He is a standard politician. There is something about him that robs me the wrong way.Too cooperate. Similar problems to Gillibrand but worse
4. Elizabeth Warren Bad political instincts. I'd be proud to vote for her in the general election. The whole dna thing is not going anywhere. Nominanting her I think is a mistake. That said I think she be wonderful cabinet member.
5. Tuisi Gabbard Her motives make me suspicious.

Who Should't run

1. Bernie Sanders 2016 was his time. He won the messaging war.
2. Joe Biden Stay retired.

socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 02:26:22 AM »

I like both Klobuchar and Harris.

Both of them are mainstream, pragmatic liberals and I think they would be good nominees. I think Harris has a clear shot in the primary but a more challenging GE. Klobuchar has more primary challenges and an easier general election.

Warren is great, too. But I have serious doubts about her general election positioning. We'll see as the campaign progresses.

We need Sherrod Brown to stay in the Senate. Booker and Gillibrand just don't seem to be the right candidates for the moment.

Bernie Sanders--no. I appreciate his enthusiasm and how he has reinvigorated the left, however.

Biden--not supporting him either.

Beto - you need more seasoning, dude.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 10:29:04 AM »

I like both Klobuchar and Harris.

Both of them are mainstream, pragmatic liberals and I think they would be good nominees. I think Harris has a clear shot in the primary but a more challenging GE. Klobuchar has more primary challenges and an easier general election.

Warren is great, too. But I have serious doubts about her general election positioning. We'll see as the campaign progresses.

We need Sherrod Brown to stay in the Senate. Booker and Gillibrand just don't seem to be the right candidates for the moment.

Bernie Sanders--no. I appreciate his enthusiasm and how he has reinvigorated the left, however.

Biden--not supporting him either.

Beto - you need more seasoning, dude.

Exactly all of this.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies