S(an) D(iego) tightens regulations on beach yoga, sparking backlash from instructors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:40:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  S(an) D(iego) tightens regulations on beach yoga, sparking backlash from instructors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S(an) D(iego) tightens regulations on beach yoga, sparking backlash from instructors  (Read 332 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2024, 11:11:39 PM »
« edited: May 20, 2024, 11:31:54 PM by dead0man »

link-local
The City of San Diego is enforcing an ordinance it revised in March, primarily targeting compliance with sidewalk vending regulations. Officials laid out a permitting process, which dictates parks where people can hold classes. Sunset Cliffs, however, is not mentioned.

"I keep saying, I thought it was hot dog vendor, and all of a sudden, it's yoga teachers too, mom groups, and sign language classes in the park (that are restricted)," yoga instructor Jackie Kowalik said.

The yoga teachers said their classes are free, though attendees can donate if they want. They insist they aren't selling anything, and that their classes follow another rule under city code, being kept under 50 people.

"We need support from our community to continue to advocate for our right to gather, for our right to honor this reciprocity with the land to speak our free speech," instructor Ray Pakif added.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the city told ABC 10News an activity with more than four people requires a permit.

"The City of San Diego’s Municipal Code prohibits groups consisting of four or more people engaged in commercial recreational activities like yoga, fitness classes and dog training from gathering in parks without a permit and can only operate in certain designated areas. Picnics and other gatherings of 50 or more also require a permit in parks, beaches and bay. The applicable municipal code (SDMC 63.0102) has been in effect since 1993, and recent updates to the policy have clarified the activities for which necessary permitting applies. These updates went into effect March 29 and are in place to ensure these public spaces remain safe and accessible to all users at all times. Park Rangers, police and lifeguards have the authority to enforce these codes to ensure public safety in San Diego’s parks and beaches."

But the instructors said there is no permit for Sunset Cliffs, where they conduct their sessions.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 11:17:53 PM »

This is kind of the only realistic end point of NIMBY-like policies. Extremely dumb.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 11:19:10 PM »

South Dakota has beaches!?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 11:20:49 PM »

What beaches in South Dakota are people even trying to... oh.  Got it.

Funnily enough as part of my job I've been having to keep my professional eyes on various city/county jurisdictions as they have been navigating the implementation of new regulations related to sidewalk vending.  California decriminalized it in 2018, and Nevada followed suit in 2023.  But since then the different cities and counties have been struggling to get it right, including San Diego.  They initially hit a snag when they passed their sidewalk vending ordinance and included language that aimed to protect freedom of speech and expression; this immediately created a loophole where basically every vendor kept doing what they were doing without bothering to apply for any permits at all, all citing freedom of speech.  So the authorities completely gave up enforcing the ordinance until it could be amended.  So now they have... this.  Undecided  Back to the drawing board!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 12:24:18 AM »

dead0man clarified it but seeing as North Dakota does it seems likely.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 08:25:27 AM »

Yoga should be illegal.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 09:56:37 AM »

I mean the longest river in the country does cut through the entire state
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 09:05:23 PM »

*backsplash
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2024, 10:23:14 PM »

This is kind of the only realistic end point of NIMBY-like policies. Extremely dumb.

California is ground-zero of NIMBY insanity. It used to just be expensive. Now it's expensive and declining in population because people have had enough and cannot afford to live anywhere nice.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 07:12:18 AM »

Just wait until they insist on professional licensing too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies