Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Attorney General)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 04:18:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Attorney General)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: MAS117 (Attorney General)  (Read 6362 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »

In all fairness, a dynamic, exciting office the AG ain't.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 04:31:55 PM »

I think part of the problem with our government is that it's acceptable for that to be the case.

For all their faults, Al and Siege revolutionized the Secretary of State/External Affairs office with their policy review. To that point no one did anything. There are a myriad of things an AG could do besides updating the Wiki.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »

I think part of the problem with our government is that it's acceptable for that to be the case.

For all their faults, Al and Siege revolutionized the Secretary of State/External Affairs office with their policy review. To that point no one did anything. There are a myriad of things an AG could do besides updating the Wiki.

I agree with you, so confirm me and I will work with the Senate to broaden and expand the position. Don't vote nay based on that.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 05:05:34 PM »

I will work with the Senate to broaden and expand the position.

I'd be interested in specifics on that.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 08:28:48 PM »

I honestly have little idea who the hell you are and thus find it difficult to form an opinion. You haven't seemed to be very active lately.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »

Couldn't be any worse than Alberto Gonzales.  Aye.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »

After some consideration, I will Abstain. I have seen no solid evidence that suggests incompetence, but the anecdotes are enough to make me uneasy. As I was not around during most of MAS's forays into office, I can't really say how well he has accomplished them, although he was not an egregiously bad governor. Without further information, I cannot cast an informed Nay vote, but I am not comfortable enough to vote in favor. I think I may express some of the uneasy that has led to a slow vote on this nominee; certainly I myself held off on voting to come to this conclusion.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 10:19:39 PM »

I honestly have little idea who the hell you are and thus find it difficult to form an opinion. You haven't seemed to be very active lately.

Former Northeastern Governor. He was in office until the last elections. Shocking, I know. He wasn't particularly active.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 11:32:21 PM »

Former Northeastern Governor. He was in office until the last elections. Shocking, I know. He wasn't particularly active.

My activity as Governor only slowed down a bit towards the latter part of my term due to the campaigning that was going on for the position. Besides that last few weeks, and members of my administration can attest to this I was active and willing Governor, has I have been many times before. So I have held a bunch of positions in Atlasia, so whats the big deal? Phil was one of my biggest critics in that regard and look, he nominated me to be in his cabinet. In the beginning of Atlasia during my cabinet stints, I served at the pleasure of the President. When the President asked me to move positions I did. Hell, it was the beginning of Atlasia, years ago.

If you don't know me then fine, PM me or ask me questions in the confirmation, but sadly many Senators did not take this up, which is troubling a bit. If you don't know someone make it your job too, the people elected you to. I can say this because I have served in this distinguished chamber before and I know the amount of work that needs to go into it to be successful.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 07:03:28 AM »

Abstain
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2008, 08:13:03 PM by MAS117 »

? This is just getting ridiculous, you know me why do you abstain Hashemite?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2008, 09:02:38 PM »

For many of the same reasons as previously stated by Verily I will Abstain.
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 10:31:39 PM »

Your veto of a bill to ban the death penalty as Northeast Governor suggests to me that your tenure as Attorney General would be marked by vengeance, a disregard for civil liberties, and support for totalitarian 'law and order' policies.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »

I'm kindly asking that the Senate reconsider their current course of action. MAS is an extremely qualified nominee with great experience within our government yet a fresh philosophy on how things must be run in the Attorney General's office.

I see that many Senators are choosing to abstain. I ask that if a Senator does not a clear reason to reject this nominee that he ought to vote to confirm. We cannot afford to keep this office vacant.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2008, 11:37:23 PM »

Withdraw your nomination Phil.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 02:38:46 AM »

Your veto of a bill to ban the death penalty as Northeast Governor suggests to me that your tenure as Attorney General would be marked by vengeance, a disregard for civil liberties, and support for totalitarian 'law and order' policies.

That is just an absurd statement. Totalitarian policies, marked by vengeance? I am offended by your total mischaracterization of the entire situation. Let's be real here Friz. I believe that the death penalty should be an option in cases in which defendants have committed the most heinous crimes. I believe it should be used only on selective cases and very rarely. As Governor as I not willing to ban the practice completely. If Atlasia thought that the practice was unconstitutional then the Senate should ban together and abolish it nationally or the Supreme Court should rule on it. Until that time, it is a perfectly legal course of action. Do you want to start punishing people for doing things that are legal? 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 10:17:10 AM »

That is just an absurd statement. Totalitarian policies, marked by vengeance? I am offended by your total mischaracterization of the entire situation. Let's be real here Friz. I believe that the death penalty should be an option in cases in which defendants have committed the most heinous crimes. I believe it should be used only on selective cases and very rarely. As Governor as I not willing to ban the practice completely. If Atlasia thought that the practice was unconstitutional then the Senate should ban together and abolish it nationally or the Supreme Court should rule on it. Until that time, it is a perfectly legal course of action. Do you want to start punishing people for doing things that are legal? 

Ignore Friz. He's posting the reason fed to him by the machine. He's a party hack of the worst kind, who's never proposed or debated any legislation.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2008, 02:18:01 PM »

I don't believe appropriate questioning has bbeen tabled for the nominee to answer. I am also disheartened by the nominees badgering of those who voted no or abstain.

I am not in a position to vote for or against the confirmation.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »

I don't believe appropriate questioning has bbeen tabled for the nominee to answer. I am also disheartened by the nominees badgering of those who voted no or abstain.

Really, my position exactly.

I don't appreciate people asking me why I voted for or against them.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »

Really, my position exactly.

Well first off Hash you didn't vote for or against, you abstained. I'm sorry for badgering people, but I get upset when people who don't participate in the process then abstain for voting without giving reasons. The same goes for people who voted no without questioning me, contacting me through PM or AIM, or in no way shape or form have shown interest in my nomination.  The level of respect and urgency in this Senate is not where it should be. I know that this might hurt my nomination but someone has to say it, and if I go down I go down, but I will not go down without a fight.

I ask Senators to step up to the plate and do justice to the position to which the fine citizens of Atlasia have elected you to do.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »

I don't mean to be rude but you don't want to be held accountable for your vote? If you have your reasons, that's fine but don't be outraged over someone wanting it explained.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2008, 09:09:31 PM »

I don't mean to be rude but you don't want to be held accountable for your vote? If you have your reasons, that's fine but don't be outraged over someone wanting it explained.

Of course I want to be held accountable. And I wasn't enraged either, just merely noting I don't really like when people come asking me and others to explain their vote, just like I wouldn't ask somebody who voted against me in an election why they did so. I'm sure they'd have their reasons, and if they wanted to, they'd tell me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2008, 09:14:44 PM »

Of course I want to be held accountable. And I wasn't enraged either, just merely noting I don't really like when people come asking me and others to explain their vote, just like I wouldn't ask somebody who voted against me in an election why they did so. I'm sure they'd have their reasons, and if they wanted to, they'd tell me.

But this isn't like someone voting in some election. You're a Senator. Your vote is part of the public record. There's nothing wrong in wanting some reasoning for your decision.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2008, 09:16:36 PM »

But this isn't like someone voting in some election. You're a Senator. Your vote is part of the public record. There's nothing wrong in wanting some reasoning for your decision.

Yes, and I gave it. Case over, no?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2008, 09:21:55 PM »

Yes, and I gave it. Case over, no?

Fair enough. I just don't understand why you'd complain about answering. That's all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies