SENATE VACANCY (Sen. Jake): Notice to Verily, Chairman of the NLC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:45:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE VACANCY (Sen. Jake): Notice to Verily, Chairman of the NLC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE VACANCY (Sen. Jake): Notice to Verily, Chairman of the NLC  (Read 1406 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »

As a consequence of Sen. Jake's 10:52PM switch to the NLC and subsequent 10:53PM resignation:

You are duly notified of a vacancy in a Class B Senate seat held by a member of the NLC.  As per the Proportional Representation Act, the NLC has 10 days (April 2, 2008 @ 10:53:10PM EDT) to fill the vacancy.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »

This is welcome and dubious. The citizens of Jake's district had the chance to elect an NLC senator when they elected him and declined to do so, and whilst I will welcome the resignation of the senator and the opportunity for a member of the party to be elevated to the chamber, I deplore the former senator's conduct.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:54:27 AM »

Hmm.... who do we have in that district...
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »

Hmm.... who do we have in that district...

The only two NLC members in District 4 (blue) are Sen. Hughento and newcomer South Park Conservative.  Jake himself moved out of the district while changing parties to the NLC.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »

We may have to look outside our party.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »

Does the vacancy have to be filled by someone from that district or can it be nationwide?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:06:08 PM »

Does the vacancy have to be filled by someone from that district or can it be nationwide?

It has been the SoFA's policy that districts are disbanded, and thus it can be filled by anyone who meets the basic requirements to be Senator.

Though, for filling the District 2 seat, the NLC put preference on candidates within District 2.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »

Well that being the case I would rather not look outside the party for a replacement.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »

I would like to make my intent known that I wish to run if there is a convention for Jake's Senate seat. For a long time I have remained an Indy here in Atlasia but I feel that the core nucleus of this party is strong and that I fit in very well here in the NLC.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 04:42:18 PM »

I will open a convention tomorrow on this issue. I know in the previous nomination I chose to limit the choice to D2 residents, hoping perhaps that there would be a contest (not any condemnation of Sen. Hashemite's abilities, he is most capable, but rather a desire to revive democratic principles).

I do not know yet whether SPC wishes to run for the seat; if not, then this decision is somewhat meaningless. However, I do feel it appropriate that we revise the original decision and open nominations to all NLC members, not because I do not believe that SPC would make a good Senator, but because the reality is that this position will represent all of Atlasia in a few short months anyway, and I think it likely that an incumbent NLC Senator would be given favor in our primary ballot, which makes it all too appropriate that all potential candidates be able to enter. Additionally, a broader contest would create, hopefully, more competition. This is really a touchy and unprecedented situation, and therefore we must not be afraid to act outside of precedent.

If SPC particularly opposes this decision, I will rethink it, but I hope that it is considered fair and proper.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »

I will open a convention tomorrow on this issue. I know in the previous nomination I chose to limit the choice to D2 residents, hoping perhaps that there would be a contest (not any condemnation of Sen. Hashemite's abilities, he is most capable, but rather a desire to revive democratic principles).

I do not know yet whether SPC wishes to run for the seat; if not, then this decision is somewhat meaningless. However, I do feel it appropriate that we revise the original decision and open nominations to all NLC members, not because I do not believe that SPC would make a good Senator, but because the reality is that this position will represent all of Atlasia in a few short months anyway, and I think it likely that an incumbent NLC Senator would be given favor in our primary ballot, which makes it all too appropriate that all potential candidates be able to enter. Additionally, a broader contest would create, hopefully, more competition. This is really a touchy and unprecedented situation, and therefore we must not be afraid to act outside of precedent.

If SPC particularly opposes this decision, I will rethink it, but I hope that it is considered fair and proper.

I understand. I would be perfectly willing to take the seat. However, due to my newcomer status, it might be better to have the party agree to it first. I would be willing to caucus with the party on important issues if I am nominated.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 12:02:39 PM »

I am appointing Colin Wixted to this seat, following the NLC convention.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »

I am appointing Colin Wixted to this seat, following the NLC convention.

Duly noted and approved.  Colin Wixted may now take the oath of office as Senator.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies